BarbaraTherese

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbaraTherese

1106-624x468.png

Saint Hilary (c.315-367), Bishop of Poitiers, Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Saint Matthew’s gospel, 6, 4-5 (cf. PL 9, 952-953)

“They do not practice what they preach”

The Lord warns us that flattering words and sweet promises should be judged by the fruits they produce. We have to value someone, therefore, not by how they present themselves in speech but as they really are in their deeds. Often enough, beneath an outward show of a lamb a ravening wolf is concealed (Mt 7:15). And just as thorns do not produce grapes nor thistles produce figs…, even so, Jesus says, genuinely good works do not consist in fine words such as these. Each one should be judged according to their fruits (vv. 16-18).

No indeed, a service that was limited to fine words would not suffice to obtain the Kingdom of heaven. It is not those who say “Lord, Lord” who will inherit it (v. 21)… What sense would a holiness be that was limited to the invocation of a name? For the Kingdom of heaven is to be found in obedience to God’s will…

We ought, then, to put something of our own into it if we want to attain eternal blessedness. We have to give something out of our own resources: desire good, avoid evil and obey the divine precepts with all our hearts. An attitude such as this will make us worthy of being acknowledged as one of his own by God. Therefore, let us conform our actions to his will instead of taking pride in his power. For he will resist and reject those who have themselves turned away from him by the injustice of their deeds.

Daily Gospel.org

BarbaraTherese

You have no questions to ask of anybody, no new way that you need inquire after; no oracle that you need to consult; for whilst you shut yourself up in patience, meekness, humility, and resignation to God, you are in the very arms of Christ, your heart is His dwelling-place, and He lives and works in you....
- William Law

BarbaraTherese

St Vincent de Paul Society (FAMVIN)

Quote of the Day – November 8

We need a certain charm and a pleasant countenance so as not to scare anyone away (Writings of St Vincent de Paul XII:157).

1108-624x468.png

BarbaraTherese

CHAT

Not posting much to now.  I have a sick little dog (Buddie) to keep an eye on and care for.   I have to watch him for his bowel movements and urine too - clean up where there are accidents.  I have already emptied my bank for my foster son who is finding it very hard to find work .  He  has to pay rent, fix up his car and buy food - plus I have had one lot of Vet's fees and might need another lot, depending on how Buddie is responding.  My budget is now in the red temporarily until I can catch up again.

We are heading into a week of high temperature here and that means recent plants planted need to be watered more than would be normal - and the rest of the garden needs some water too.  What I have done is set up a roster for what needs to be watered on what day.  I can only do so much and then have to sit down for a while.  What that means is what would normally take me half an hour, takes much longer.

Other than the above, which is out of the norm, cruising along ok with gratitude and thanksgiving things are not far worse.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbaraTherese

We want to avoid suffering, death, sin, ashes. But we live in a world crushed and broken and torn, a world God Himself visited to redeem. We receive his poured-out life, and being allowed the high privilege of suffering with Him, may then pour ourselves out for others.

- Elisabeth Elliot

Shalom Place - Dominican Sisters of Peace

BarbaraTherese

CHATchat-heureux-entretien-article.jpg

The following is a copy and paste from our Prayer Request Forum just now:

" I am now really getting into problems with my budget well and truly in the red - and it looks like another Vet bill on the way with Buddie coughing again.  I am not cancelling my direct debits to the parish and though they are minimal, with our Church needing urgent repair and the parish struggling too with finances and in the red -  I am trying not to cancel the direct debits anyway unless the budget takes another real dive. I have electricity and gas bills on the way and probably another Vet bill.  Needing to catch cabs most everywhere is draining things too even though our government gives me a 50% discount, which is outstandingly generous.  Our welfare system in Australia is certainly a system worth much gratitude and thanksgiving.

My Vet is very good and knows I struggle and how much I love Buddie and he does try very hard to keep the bill minimal and I am totally grateful for that.

I feel I can work through it all eventually if I maintain my chin up and a positive attitude with gratitude and thanksgiving that things are not far worse - as things always could be.  At the moment, I am "robbing Peter to pay Paul" and so far so good.

A prayer sure would help........... and thanks heaps, Pham"  

(Another giggle for the times I have read that private vows is the easy way)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbaraTherese

1111-624x468.png

With my now disabilities, I am tempted to feel useless but as long as I have heartfelt care for others with prayer and penance, I still have value.  There is no victory in it since I no sooner choose well, that I find I am choosing for ill.   It is very difficult however after a lifetime of a very active life to adjust to my now circumstances - not so much mentally or spiritually.........just those feelings over which we have no/little control that keep hanging around to taunt.  Feelings have no morality - it is what we do with feelings that introduces morality i.e. either good or bad.

Feelings in part tell us who we are and in essence are amoral - they just are.  When we choose what to do with or about feelings introduces right and wrong/good or bad since we are engaging our will - our choices.

I can struggle with self pity and do find thanksgiving and gratitude that things are not worse (as for many others) lifts me out of self pity and grants energy, while self pity indulged in tends to cause listlessness and withdrawal, inertia........in me anyway.

I like to say that it is ok to visit negative emotions in recognition and owning them -  and in acceptance, but not to set up camp in them.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbaraTherese

Our parish priest is back after a long break and a prostate surgery followed by complications.  He does not look well at all and has lost weight.  Now his mother is in hospital.

Prayer for Father and his Mum very much appreciated.

I get to the Church early for Vigil Mass and tonight was praying the First Sorrowful Mystery of The Rosary, the Agony in the Garden.  It occurred to me that the anxiety I can suffer can be an identifying with Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane.  It has granted me meaning when anxiety does overcome - I can reflect how terrible were the Sufferings of Jesus and I am gifted to share a very small part of it.

BarbaraTherese

1112-624x468.png

Read about St Agostina HERE

Nothing can be enough for The Lord but it is not an invitation to anxiety and lack of prudence, rather it is the road to humility.

It is also a matter of perspective.  From our perspective, nothing indeed is enough for God when our prayer, works, sacrifices are compared to the Glory of God; however, from the perspective of The Glory of God, the smallest movement of love is embraced by Him with great Love and gratitude, appreciation.

There is an excellent book well worth the read on "The Humility of God" by a Franciscan Sister drawing on the thought of St Bonaventure.   At times I found it not the easiest of reads but well worth the effort -  https://www.amazon.com/Humility-God-Franciscan-Perspective/dp/0867166754

BarbaraTherese

logo-new-circo-header-TALLER-VFO7.png

Daily Reflection – November 11

“Corporal maladies are advantageous to us when we suffer them for the love of God and with conformity to His holy will. We prove thereby that the soul, the nobler part of our being, is in perfect health.”
– St. Louise de Marillac

BarbaraTherese

1113-624x468.png

Daily Reflection – November 12

logo-famvin-english.png

“I beg you to consider all things in the designs of Providence and, while humbly and carefully doing your share to contribute to success, leave the rest to the good pleasure of God.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

BarbaraTherese
  • 1114-624x468.png

1125x350HeaderImgPrayerCalendar.jpg

VERY SHORT DAILY PRAYER

ALETEIA.ORG

Aleteia.org has now included a very short form of daily prayer for each day.  It is based on The Divine Office but far shorter by a long shot - Morning, Meditation, Evening.  You can subscribe to the daily newsletter here: https://aleteia.org/newsletter/

BarbaraTherese

2428816-Catherine-of-Siena-Quote-The-dev

(St Catherine of Sienna)

Vincent's Quote of the Day (FAMVIN)

5th November 2017

I must be afire with love for those with whom I live

and with edifying others by the exercise of love (XII:215).

b0b9ee75f903445f7b28d5a4dd96e593.jpg

What can be helpful is to begin with a short prayer from the heart to the Holy Spirit and then slowly read quotations in this thread.  When a quote makes a different type of impact, stop and reflect on that quotation.

BarbaraTherese

1117-624x468.png

Unknown.jpg

The Australian Ecumenical Council for Spiritual Direction has published a revised code for spiritual direction: HERE

I don't know much about the organization except that the Jesuits here in South Australia are connected to it.  The Council does have links on their website to locate spiritual directors in each state of Australia - make sure you check any cost involved.