An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Laughing-Pope-Francis.jpg

A sense of humour is a gift from God. Laughter unites us.

Funny things help us get through the humdrum of life - and you don't have to look far for the funny and absurd in life.

Without humour life would be a lot harder.

Without the ability to laugh at oneself, life is going to get even harder than that.

(Plenty poetic licence in the above - I can't remember where the basic quote comes from!)

Not so very long ago, an old German man was feeling guilty about something he had done, so he decided to go to Confession.  He said, "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I feel terrible because during World War II I hid a refugee in my attic."

The priest said, "But that's not a sin! I wouldn't feel bad about that if I were you!"

"But I made him agree to pay me 50 Marks for every week he stayed."  The priest said, "Well, I admit that certainly wasn't the most noble thing to do, charging the man to save his life -- but you did save his life, after all, and that is a good thing. Don't worry about it too much; God forgives."

The man said, "Oh thank you, Father, that eases my mind. I have only one more question to ask you -- Do I have to tell him the war is over?"

https://www.fisheaters.com/jokes.html 

Image result for sense of humour

Image result for lead us not into temptation

What does "Lead Us Not into Temptation" mean?

Author: FATHER WILLIAM P. SAUNDERS

In the Our Father, we pray, "And lead us not into temptation." This sounds a little odd, because why would God lead us into temptation?

Upon first hearing, this petition of the Our Father does sound like we are asking God not to lead us into temptation. (The Our Father is found in Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4.) In this sense, the petition sounds like God would purposely place us in temptation and set us up for a fall to sin. The literal translation of the Greek text is indeed, as we recite, "and lead us not into temptation." .......Read HERE entire text from CatholicEducation.org

Image result for lead us not into temptation

Image result for our lady of fatima

http://www.ourcatholicprayers.com/fatima-prayers.html ......."This last of our Fatima prayers followed shortly, after Mary opened her hands and showed the children a terrifying vision of Hell. She then taught them to say this after each decade of the rosary:

Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins and save us from the fires of Hell

and bring all souls to Heaven

Especially those most in need of Your Mercy. "

First Reading: Sunday 23rd July 2017

16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Wis 12:13, 16-19

There is no god besides you who have the care of all,
that you need show you have not unjustly condemned.
For your might is the source of justice;
your mastery over all things makes you lenient to all.
For you show your might when the perfection of your power is disbelieved;
and in those who know you, you rebuke temerity.

But though you are master of might, you judge with clemency,
and with much lenience you govern us;
for power, whenever you will, attends you.
And you taught your people, by these deeds,
that those who are just must be kind;
and you gave your children good ground for hope
that you would permit repentance for their sins.

St Vincent de Paul Society

Daily Reflection

Jul 22, 2017

“No matter what others say or do, even if the wicked succeed,

do not be troubled: commit everything to God and put your trust in Him.”

– St. Vincent de Paul

– If I place my trust in you, Lord, I will not be concerned about what others think or do.

Today's Saint Quote

Image result for OUR LADY

SHORT CHAPLET TO HONOUR OUR LADY

"Grant that I may praise thee, O Holy Virgin!
Give me strength against thy enemies!"

"1. Blessed be the Great Mother of God, Mary Most Holy!
2. Blessed be her Holy and Immaculate Conception!
3. Blessed be her Glorious Assumption!
4. Blessed be the Name of Mary, Virgin and Mother!
5. Blessed be her Immaculate Heart!
6. Blessed be her Virginal Purity!
7. Blessed be her Divine Maternity!
8. Blessed be her Universal Mediation!
9. Blessed be her Sorrows and her Tears!
10. Blessed be the graces with which the Lord crowned her Queen of Heaven and Earth!"

"Glory be to Mary, Daughter of the Father!
Glory be to Mary, Mother of the Son!
Glory be to Mary, Spouse of the Holy Spirit!"

"My Mother,
I love thee for those who do not love thee;
I praise thee for those who blaspheme thee;
I surrender myself to thee
for those who will not recognize thee as their Mother."

PRAYER FOR ILL PARISH PRIEST

I have put a prayer request into the Prayer Forum for Fr. K., our parish priest.  He had prostate surgery early this year and was given the all clear.  However the problem has resurfaced and he is currently having radiation treatment and will be absent (providing radiation is successful) from our parish possibly until the end of August 2017.

Thank you.............Barb

O Jesus, our great High Priest, Hear my humble prayers on behalf of your ill priest, Father K. -  Give him a deep faith, a bright and firm hope and a burning love which will ever increase in the course of his priestly life.

In his loneliness, comfort him In his sorrows, strengthen him In his frustrations, point out to him that it is through suffering that the soul is purified, and show him that he is needed by the Church, he is needed by souls, he is needed for the work of redemption.

O loving Mother Mary, Mother of Priests, take to your heart, Father K.,  your son who is ill and close to you because of his priestly ordination, and because of the power which he has received to carry on the work of Christ in a world which needs him so much.

If it be God’s Will please grant his radiation treatment will be entirely successful and he can return to us, his parish, fully healed. Be his comfort, be his joy, be his strength, and especially please grant that he return to sound health to continue as shepherd of our souls.

Amen.

LOVE OF GOD & NEIGHBOUR

The whole purpose of our Lord’s commandments is to rescue the spirit from chaos and hatred and lead it to love of him and love of one’s neighbour. From this springs forth, like a flash of lightning, holy knowledge.”

- Maximus the Confessor, Centuries on Charity, IV -

Today's Saint Quote

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BIPOLAR CHAT

I see my psychiatrist tomorrow.  The early warning signs of an episode seem to have ceased in that I no longer seem to need Oxazepam (emergency stress-taming medication) - but this can mean either one of two things.  Either the early warning signs really have ceased and an episode is avoided...............alternatively, one can think one is stable and all is in the past, but in reality one is not stable at all and an episode is underway.   During the early stages of an actual episode, one really does THINK one is ok, when in reality one is not at all.  The first thing to fly out the nearest widow during an episode in the early stages is sound judgement or assessment capabilities -  hard on its' heels common sense is out of touch too.

My psychiatrist tomorrow is the best assessor of my situation at this point.  Whatever my own personal situation is re bipolar, the stresses that triggered the early warning signs in the first place are ongoing and not at all as yet resolved - and may not be resolved (one way or the other) until early September at least.  If the situations are not resoled as I hope, that will be a new hurdle to negotiate and work through.

My normal prayer routine is reinstated very thankfully.

Deo Gratius.....Laudate Dominum.

Consecration & Divine Vocation of Laity

(Just posted into Open Mic as well)

christifideles laici "Vocationand Mission of the Lay Faithful in The Church and in The World" here

the "world" thus becomes the place and the means for the lay faithful to fulfill their christian vocation, because the world itself is destined to glorify god the father in christ. The council is able then to indicate the proper and special sense of the divine vocation which is directed to the lay faithful.........

...........The lay faithful, in fact, "are called by God so that they, led by the spirit of the Gospel, might contribute to the sanctification of the world, as from within like leaven, by fulfilling their own particular duties. Thus, especially in this way of life, resplendent in faith, hope and charity they manifest Christ to others"[37].Thus for the lay faithful, to be present and active in the world is not only an anthropological and sociological reality, but in a specific way, a theological and ecclesiological reality as well. In fact, in their situation in the world God manifests his plan and communicates to them their particular vocation of "seeking the Kingdom of God by engaging in temporal affairs and by ordering them according to the plan of God"[38].

............. In another comparison, using the image of a building, the apostle Peter defines the baptized as "living stones" founded on Christ, the "corner stone", and destined to "be raised up into a spiritual building" (1 Pt 2:5 ff.). The image introduces us to another aspect of the newness of christian life coming from baptism and described by the second vatican council: "by regeneration and the anointing of the holy spirit, the baptized are consecrated into a spiritual house"
.............Speaking of the lay faithful the Council says: "For their work, prayers and apostolic endeavours, their ordinary married and family life, their daily labour, their mental and physical relaxation, if carried out in the Spirit, and even the hardships of life if patiently borne-all of these become spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ (cf. 1 Pt 2:5). During the celebration of the Eucharist these sacrifices are most lovingly offered to the Father along with the Lord's body Thus as worshipers whose every deed is holy, the laY faithful consecrate the world itself to God" 

Quote:

lumen gentium "Dogmatic Constitiution on The Church" HERE

the baptized, by regeneration and the anointing of the holy spirit, are consecrated as a spiritual house and a holy priesthood, in order that through all those works which are those of the christian man they may offer spiritual sacrifices and proclaim the power of him who has called them out of darkness into his marvelous light.(102) therefore all the disciples of christ, persevering in prayer and praising god,(103) should present themselves as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to god.(104) everywhere on earth they must bear witness to christ and give an answer to those who seek an account of that hope of eternal life which is in them.(105)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Image result for st james

25th July - Feast St James - Apostle

St James (? - 44)
He was the brother of St John and, like him, a fisherman. He was one of the witnesses of the Transfiguration and one of those who slept through most of the Agony in the Garden. He was the first of the apostles to be martyred, being beheaded by King Herod Agrippa I to please the Jewish opponents of Christianity. He was buried in Jerusalem, and nothing more is known about him until the ninth century.
  At this time we learn of a tradition that the relics of St James were brought to Spain some time after his martyrdom, (perhaps early, perhaps as late as 830), and his shrine at Compostela in Galicia grew in importance until it became the greatest pilgrimage centre in western Europe. In every country there are churches of St James and known, well-trodden pilgrim routes. In Paris, the Tour St Jacques marks the start of the route and the Rue St Jacques points straight towards Compostela. In England, pilgrim routes lead from all parts of the country to the major ports that were used on the pilgrimage. This network of routes is a vital witness to the fact that the Middle Ages were not the static stay-at-home time that we often think them to be: everyone must have known someone, or known someone who knew someone, who had made the pilgrimage. The scallop-shell, the emblem of St James, has become the emblem of pilgrims generally.
  In 1987 the pilgrimage routes to Compostela were designated by the Council of Europe as historical cultural routes of international importance. The Confraternity of St James continues to work to restore and upgrade the refuges on a route which is still in active pilgrim use today.
  See the article in the Catholic Encyclopaedia.

BIPOLAR CHAT

Saw my psychiatrist late this afternoon.  Her verdict is that I am stable and sane and that for me is one huge relief.  I will see her again in three weeks time just to ensure that an episode really has been avoided.

She is also involving herself in the problems with which I need deal.  Problems that are not medical.  I am hoping her involvement might bring things to an early conclusion...........no way to know at this point if it will, nor any way of knowing perhaps for a while yet what final decisions will be.  I am choosing not to state the actual problems as they do involve other people, not my family nor friends nor my parish.

FOR FATHER K. WHO IS ILL

A Daily Prayer

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

O Jesus, our great High Priest, Hear my humble prayers on behalf of your ill priest, Father K. -  Give him a deep faith, a bright and firm hope and a burning love which will ever increase in the course of his priestly life.

In his loneliness, comfort him In his sorrows, strengthen him In his frustrations, point out to him that it is through suffering that the soul is purified, and show him that he is needed by the Church, he is needed by souls, he is needed for the work of redemption.

O loving Mother Mary, Mother of Priests, take to your heart, Father K.,  your son who is ill and close to you because of his priestly ordination, and because of the power which he has received to carry on the work of Christ in a world which needs him so much.

If it be God’s Will please grant his radiation treatment will be entirely successful and he can return to us, his parish, fully healed. Be his comfort, be his joy, be his strength, and especially please grant that he return to sound health to continue as shepherd of our souls.

Amen.

Quote:

Divine Vocation and Consecration of The Laity

Christifideles Laici "Vocationand Mission of the Lay Faithful in The Church and in The World" http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-pa...les-laici.html "

the "world" thus becomes the place and the means for the lay faithful to fulfill their christian vocation, because the world itself is destined to glorify god the father in christ. The council is able then to indicate the proper and special sense of the divine vocation which is directed to the lay faithful.........

...........The lay faithful, in fact, "are called by God so that they, led by the spirit of the Gospel, might contribute to the sanctification of the world, as from within like leaven, by fulfilling their own particular duties. Thus, especially in this way of life, resplendent in faith, hope and charity they manifest Christ to others"[37].Thus for the lay faithful, to be present and active in the world is not only an anthropological and sociological reality, but in a specific way, a theological and ecclesiological reality as well. In fact, in their situation in the world God manifests his plan and communicates to them their particular vocation of "seeking the Kingdom of God by engaging in temporal affairs and by ordering them according to the plan of God"[38].

............. In another comparison, using the image of a building, the apostle Peter defines the baptized as "living stones" founded on Christ, the "corner stone", and destined to "be raised up into a spiritual building" (1 Pt 2:5 ff.). The image introduces us to another aspect of the newness of christian life coming from baptism and described by the second vatican council: "by regeneration and the anointing of the holy spirit, the baptized are consecrated into a spiritual house"
.............Speaking of the lay faithful the Council says: "For their work, prayers and apostolic endeavours, their ordinary married and family life, their daily labour, their mental and physical relaxation, if carried out in the Spirit, and even the hardships of life if patiently borne-all of these become spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ (cf. 1 Pt 2:5). During the celebration of the Eucharist these sacrifices are most lovingly offered to the Father along with the Lord's body Thus as worshipers whose every deed is holy, the lay faithful consecrate the world itself to God"

Quote:

Lumen Gentium "Dogmatic Constitiution on The Church" http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...entium_en.html

1. To intensify the apostolic activity of the people of God,(1) the most holy synod earnestly addresses itself to the laity, whose proper and indispensable role in the mission of the Church has already been dealt with in other documents.(2) The apostolate of the laity derives from their Christian vocation and the Church can never be without it.

the baptized, by regeneration and the anointing of the holy spirit, are consecrated as a spiritual house and a holy priesthood, in order that through all those works which are those of the christian man they may offer spiritual sacrifices and proclaim the power of him who has called them out of darkness into his marvelous light.(102) therefore all the disciples of christ, persevering in prayer and praising god,(103) should present themselves as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to god.(104) everywhere on earth they must bear witness to christ and give an answer to those who seek an account of that hope of eternal life which is in them.(105)

Apostolicam Actuositatem "Apostolate of The Laity"

3. The laity derive the right and duty to the apostolate from their union with Christ the head; incorporated into Christ's Mystical Body through Baptism and strengthened by the power of the Holy Spirit through Confirmation, they are assigned to the apostolate by the Lord Himself. .......

...............This plan for the spiritual life of the laity should take its particular character from their married or family state or their single or widowed state, from their state of health, and from their professional and social activity