An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecration Of Virgins Ceremony And Evangelical Poverty?

oremus1

I rather liked this wedding dress if I were choosing one (though I'm not), scroll down to second dress "Chiffon Jewel Neckline Column Wedding Dresses with Three-Quarter Length Sleeves (Unit Price: $179.99)":

http://rainingblossomswedding.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/amazing-wedding-dresses-under-200.html

Mantilla type veil :

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/41860/55400_mantillaposition2.jpg

If one is wearing a wedding dress, it is a part of the process - while of course the vows are the most important.  I don't think that carefully choosing what to wear means that one is not giving full attention and focus to the vows primarily, to the actual consecration itself.  I am not discerning the CV vocation incidentally - just join in the discussion now and then.  As a committed Catholic in the lay state, I think it is important that we understand the various vocations and would know how to explain them.

Choosing a dress and veil if I were to be preparing to be consecrated to virginity is a bit of frivolity if you like.  Light heartedness in a serious discussion in response to a question addressed to me.  And reasons, not excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my dress made. Simple white satin dress with some baby blue satin trim on the sleaves and collar and tie around the waist in the back. 

It sounds to me as if you are concentrating far too much on what you will wear and what flowers and what ring you have.  You should be concentrating on the vows you take.  That's my opinion.

uhh... what you will wear and the superficial aspects do still need planning! they do not just happen by themself!! ideally one shoudl strive to have a beautiful ceremony AND a beautiful consecrated life. i dont see why they need to be mutually exclusive?

if i just turned up in a cathedral in my sneakers and was consecrated in my jeans and baseball cap, why does that make me holier?

if i took great care in my spiritual preparation and formation, why should i not also take great care in the details of the ceremony?

are you suggesting i just turn up on the day in my jeans? perhaps instead of choosing and ordering a bridal veil, i should just grab the dish-towel from my kitchen. after all, i wouldnt want to spend time on frivoulous things, being holy and all. 

or perhaps  you are suggesting that it is my role to study the vocation, and suddenly the planning of the music, liturgy, flowers, clothing, veil, ring will just fall like manna from the sky on the day of my consecration?

perhaps you can clarify these points to me?

Edited by oremus1

abrideofChrist

uhh... what you will wear and the superficial aspects do still need planning! they do not just happen by themself!! ideally one shoudl strive to have a beautiful ceremony AND a beautiful consecrated life. i dont see why they need to be mutually exclusive?

if i just turned up in a cathedral in my sneakers and was consecrated in my jeans and baseball cap, why does that make me holier?

if i took great care in my spiritual preparation and formation, why should i not also take great care in the details of the ceremony?

are you suggesting i just turn up on the day in my jeans? perhaps instead of choosing and ordering a bridal veil, i should just grab the dish-towel from my kitchen. after all, i wouldnt want to spend time on frivoulous things, being holy and all. 

or perhaps  you are suggesting that it is my role to study the vocation, and suddenly the planning of the music, liturgy, flowers, clothing, veil, ring will just fall like manna from the sky on the day of my consecration?

perhaps you can clarify these points to me?

You're correct.  These things don't happen by themselves.  People enamoured with the image of the Poor Clare spick and span with her crown of thorns and bare feet on her Profession day forget that an enormous amount of work has taken place to enasure a worthy celebration of the rite.  Many convents polish the floors, spend countless hours rehearsing the Mass and hymns, sewing the new veil(s), arranging all the flowers, giving the whole convent a general deep cleaning, preparing extra special meals for the sisters and guests, etc.  They will pour over what images to use for the invitations and Mass worship aids, the holy card designs, take time to vacuum the rug the sister will prostrate herself on, decide who will be the homilist, and assign liturgical roles to family, friends, and relatives of the sister(s) being professed.  To be sure, most of this work is done by everyone except the newly professed because this is their big day, and in turn, the professed will be helping the other sisters' have their big day when their turn comes.  Nevertheless, without someone cranking out the invitations, nobody would know to show up at the profession.  Without a lot of practice, the choir's singing could be way off.  Without more hustle and bustle in the kitchen, a lot of family members could starve in discomfort.  Without someone helping out with the flowers and decorating the chapel, it would be plain and bare.  Sisters are lucky because they have an institution (others) to do this for them.  The CV doesn't have this institution of helping hands.  All the expenses and planning rests solely upon her shoulders and on the diocese.  How they decide to split the work and costs is up to them, but it is wrong to wax eloquently on "evangelical poverty" when arguably, nuns are "richer" in having more help and attention for their ceremonies.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I did a tremendous amount of work for my solemn profession which is a very simple ceremony! I did all the printing and designing of booklets and holy cards. Each of our sisters do their own. I didn't decorate ( I was on retreat.) and my habit and veil were hand me downs!

Everyone pitches in to clean up after the reception, often the newly professed helps as well.

Our Sr. Joseph Maria choose to stay inside choir and go out only for the profession rite so that she could help out with the singing!

It's important that you give time to your Consecration ceremony. It also helps you reflect and think about what is going to take place. All the hustle-bustle is part of the joy! It will give you some beautiful memories down the road when things might seem blah! And it will give those attending some incredible memories and impressions and graces, too! A seminarian friend said that at my profession he got the grace to petition for deaconate when he was having a hard time deciding!

Agreed with Abride/Oremus1/Sr. Mary Catharine.  In summary yes the details are quite important.  It is a major commitment.  And well -- a consecrated virgin is not necesarily making a vow of abject poverty.  Ok -- overly gaudy and extravagant arrangements probably shouldn't be made (since a CV is looking at being a witness to Christ, and probably simple living is in order), but it should be beautiful nonetheless.