An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Shoes

the171

DiscerningCatholic

I *thought* I was discerning with some Discalced Carmelites...but one day I called the Monastery to speak with Rev. Mother, and while I was waiting on hold, I heard her coming...clomp-clomp-clomp-clomp-clomp...I thought they were s'posed to walk sedately and wear hemp sandals, but no.  :rotfl2:

The DSMME manage to move completely silently...save for that Rosary! LOL It's always cool to hear them moving around when you're in the chapel because every sound echoes and it just sounds awe.some.

PhuturePriest

Your main focus on boots should be if they're waterproof. If they're not waterproof, don't waste your money. "Water-resistant" is basically saying that you'll have an extra ten minutes you wouldn't have had before your feet are drenched and suffering from frostbite.

Edited by FuturePriest387

IgnatiusofLoyola

I strongly recommend Land's End for practical things like snow boots at reasonable prices. I live in the Midwest (in the flat state just below Wisconsin), and my Lands' End snow boots have lasted me for years.

Lands' End is located in Wisconsin and is mostly sold online, although there are some retail stores in certain states.

Possible problem: It is already February, and it has been an extremely cold winter for a large part of the U.S. In a normal year, January/February would be the perfect time to shop for snow boots because they will be on sale so you could get great bargains. I haven't looked on the Lands' End site recently, but it might be slim pickings in the snow boot department. Still, if I were you, I would check Lands' End NOW!!

If you don't need the snow boots immediately, and you can't find high quality snow boots right now on sale, perhaps there is some way your Community will let you wait wait until next September/October to buy them. Lands' End snow boots are high quality at a MUCH lower price than "name" places like North Face, Patagonia, etc. As has been said before, for snow you need boots that are not only insulated, but are completely waterproof. I also recommend L.L. Bean (also an online store) although their prices aren't as good as Land's End. Why pay even a little more for boots of similar quality?

What kind/brand of snow boots (and other shoes) do your future Sisters wear? They obviously know best what brands/styles  of shoes are both comfortable and reasonable in price. Also, there are different kinds of snow boots, and the type you need depends on the weather where you will be living. If you haven't asked already, I'm sure your future Sisters/Vocation Director have suggestions for the best type of shoes/boots for where you will be living.

I apologize, but I sincerely don't understand the concern about "old lady shoes." Help me understand. As part of your vows, among other things, you're going to be giving up having children of your own, will have few, if any, possessions of your own, and will be promising obedience for the rest of your life. These are HUGE sacrifices, but will be worth it because you will be dedicating your life to serving and adoring God, and answering his Call. In the face of this, I truly don't understand why you're even thinking about what your shoes will look like.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

I apologize, but I sincerely don't understand the concern about "old lady shoes." Help me understand. As part of your vows, among other things, you're going to be giving up having children of your own, will have few, if any, possessions of your own, and will be promising obedience for the rest of your life. These are HUGE sacrifices, but will be worth it because you will be dedicating your life to serving and adoring God, and answering his Call. In the face of this, I truly don't understand why you're even thinking about what your shoes will look like.

Who cares about having children? These are SHOES we are talking about!!  :rotfl2:

Who cares about having children? These are SHOES we are talking about!!  :rotfl2:

(I'm sorry, I will go to my room now.)  :sad2:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

It's always the little things! I know more sisters who cry more buckets over leaving their cat than leaving their family!

For some reason SHOES are the few places where nuns often can express their "style" tastes. If a nun gets a new pair, even the most "nunny" looking everyone notices IMMEDIATELY! When I was in braces, casts and unable to walk I would find myself totally distracted by the Sisters' feet! It was so strange! And I've never been a shoe person, either!

AuthorOfMyLife

:hehe2:  HA HA (to SilentJoy).

My sister (very interested in marriage) would absolutely agree with you, since she loves shoes. I, on the other hand (other foot?) am indifferent to shoes. I wear flats and moccasin-type shoes until they fall apart. In the winter, I wear socks without shoes around the house; in the summer, I go barefoot whenever I can!

AuthorOfMyLife

It's always the little things! I know more sisters who cry more buckets over leaving their cat than leaving their family!

For some reason SHOES are the few places where nuns often can express their "style" tastes. If a nun gets a new pair, even the most "nunny" looking everyone notices IMMEDIATELY! When I was in braces, casts and unable to walk I would find myself totally distracted by the Sisters' feet! It was so strange! And I've never been a shoe person, either!

How do you buy shoes? Do you order them online or go to a local store? (I know that you are cloistered sisters, so maybe an extern sister takes a list of styles and sizes and goes hunting? :))

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We used to go to the store downtown. Years ago, we had what we called "Dominican shoes". They were made in the monastery and I've been told they were very bad for the sisters' feet.

The internet is very good for us because now we all order online at places like Zappos. We can try them on in "real life", not a cushy carpet in a shoe store. Free shipping is a blessing.

Crocs are a favorite among some sisters.

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you for the answer, Sister!

I think Zappos is pretty great! They sell some shoes with nice natural materials, which I appreciate.