An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun Shoes

the171

I like Strictly Comfort, too. They have a variety of styles; I don't know if they're still selling my favorite, which was a very handsome lace-up pump with leather uppers and a very solid sole/heel, but I bought them used and they've still lasted for several years. One of the Religious Sisters of Mercy asked me where I got them, so they must look an awful lot like nun shoes.  :smile2:

I like Strictly Comfort, too. They have a variety of styles; I don't know if they're still selling my favorite, which was a very handsome lace-up pump with leather uppers and a very solid sole/heel, but I bought them used and they've still lasted for several years. One of the Religious Sisters of Mercy asked me where I got them, so they must look an awful lot like nun shoes.  :smile2:

Maybe I should add that they're very, very quiet on hard floors...no clack-clack-clack.

Sorry. I just feel like km not ready to get behind SAS, Strictly Comfort, or Easy Spirit type brands. I'm avoiding that until I have to put those on my feet. Pride probably. But also because I have a type of shoe I'm used to. (eg: Chaco, Keen, J-41, etc)

DiscerningCatholic

Y'all are lucky. Dominicans get stuck with black oxfords and tennis shoes. LOL Although Sr. Briana said, "If you look at our shoes just right, they kinda look like VANS." :hehe:

Hello, my name is SilentJoy. You insulted my shoes. Prepare to die.

Seriously they're awe-some. Here is a picture (if it works):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111272817980

(edited to include that these are brown AND I JUST BOUGHT THEM this instant, too late :P ; my other ones are black.)

Edited by SilentJoy

Sr Mary Catharine OP

As someone with enormous foot problems (5 surgeries in 7 years) I really don't like shoes. They have become my enemies! Problem is that I can't walk without 'em! :-(

I can remember dreading lace up oxfords. Around here you might even hear, "Wow! Those shoes are pretty ugly. Comfortable?" If the response is YES! The answer is usually something like, "Great, what size are you? Can I try them!"

AveMariaPurissima

As someone with enormous foot problems (5 surgeries in 7 years) I really don't like shoes. They have become my enemies! Problem is that I can't walk without 'em! :-(

I can remember dreading lace up oxfords. Around here you might even hear, "Wow! Those shoes are pretty ugly. Comfortable?" If the response is YES! The answer is usually something like, "Great, what size are you? Can I try them!"

I have foot problems too, but fortunately there's a shoe store in my area that specializes in shoes for people with feet problems.  They're a little on the expensive side, but very well-made, comfortable, and actually cute!

DiscerningCatholic

I hate wearing shoes because I hate wearing shoes. :| Anyone up for starting a community of discalced Dominicans? :P

The Nashie postulants were full of jokes about their shoes. "Oh, they're in fashion...just for people about 50 years older than all of us." 

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

I hate wearing shoes because I hate wearing shoes. :| Anyone up for starting a community of discalced Dominicans? :P

The Nashie postulants were full of jokes about their shoes. "Oh, they're in fashion...just for people about 50 years older than all of us." 

I *thought* I was discerning with some Discalced Carmelites...but one day I called the Monastery to speak with Rev. Mother, and while I was waiting on hold, I heard her coming...clomp-clomp-clomp-clomp-clomp...I thought they were s'posed to walk sedately and wear hemp sandals, but no.  :rotfl2:

This thread is heel-arious...and helpful!  The best footbeds around are found in Merrells and for warm weather, Birkenstocks (though I must admit to wearing wool socks with the sandals--on cooler days!) :blush:

SMC is right, the focus should be on stability, durability and comfort.  Sisters do spend a lot of time on their feet!

domenica_therese

All the yes!

Alegria's are good for support and for some cuteness.  I'm on my feet a lot (train for a health-related company) and they really help.  Plus they are durable.  I have a pair that I've had for years and they don't look worn.  Plus you can buy a new footbed for them when that wears out and still keep your shoes.

I hate shoes, too, because I have pretty odd feet that were VERY difficult to fit shoes on when I was a kid and are kind of difficult now.  I've got a big toe but a slender, narrow foot.  I can't wear anything with a large heel or round toe because they cause pain.  I used have to get all my shoes at Stride Rite and/or a special shoe store.  My SAS sandals look huge on my feet but they are so comfortable that I love them.  Most of the time (especially around the house), I go barefoot around the house which is why I got intrigued by the Poor Clare Colettines at first and came to love them for more reasons.  Too bad I'm not called to them (or haven't found the right convent).  :(