An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parents

pax

[quote name='voiciblanche' date='Jun 21 2004, 02:44 PM'] Zach-

How are you not good with people? :huh: [/quote]
LoL, I dunno...:)

She's just my mommy, and yes, I love her. But she's weird sometimes. :)

So my mom has know for a couple weeks that I would someday like to enter religious life. I already posted about her comments about nuns, but yesterday she was like " You are forbidden to watch EWTN, it is brainwashing you" I was like "What are you talking about?" but she wouldn't really say anything else. I think that when the time finally comes and I leave home to enter religious life my mom will probably lock me in my room.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one battling with the parents. Well, I'm not exactly battling... we just avoid the subject. I told them over the phone that I wanted to enter religious life after secretly flying out to Ann Arbor for a vocations retreat with the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. All they knew was that is was a retreat. When I told them, I proposed I drop out of school so that I could get a job to pay off my debts and enter in August. They didn't like that idea so much. My mom basically said she really wants me to finish school, so that's what I'm doing to keep her happy and feel like she didn't waste all the money to get an education. I can't really blame her since I only have one year of college left. Anyway...I guess we've all got to keep praying...

[quote name='zwergel88' date='Jun 21 2004, 08:56 PM'] So my mom has know for a couple weeks that I would someday like to enter religious life. I already posted about her comments about nuns, but yesterday she was like " You are forbidden to watch EWTN, it is brainwashing you" I was like "What are you talking about?" but she wouldn't really say anything else. I think that when the time finally comes and I leave home to enter religious life my mom will probably lock me in my room. [/quote]
sounds VERY familiar!!! EXTREMELY familiar!!

My mom wants me to stop going to Youth Group etc because she says I'm being brainwashed :wacko:

FaustinaVianney

Andrea~ I was in the same boat...I, too, wanted to drop everything, get a job to pay my loans, and enter the convent (Nashville Dominicans), but deep down I knew God wanted me to finish school. Dominicans are teachers so a degree would be helpful no matter what in and in order to a get a good job a degree would be beneficial. I also found other little things such as my oppotunity to evangelize to college students who DESPERATELY need it. Don't worry about your parents just pray for them. I have a friend in the convent whose parents are agnostic and atheist. God shall give you the strength to get through it all, you just have to ask for the strength. On another note..Sista2b went on a retreat there Feb and plans on entering in Aug...She is in Rome right now and then pre-postulancy week, so it may be a while before she posts again...God Bless!!!

[quote] My mom wants me to stop going to Youth Group etc because she says I'm being brainwashed[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds familiar to me too. My mom like gets all angry if I go to Mass on a weekday, and she is starting to get mad at me just for going on Sunday. It's totally weird.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='FaustinaVianney' date='Jun 20 2004, 08:52 PM'] I told my father today that I am thinking about entering Rel Life. It was NOT well received. He said that they don't DO anything. [/quote]
It's official. Both of my parents have threatened to disown me if I enter religious life. They said that priests, brothers, nuns, etc. don't do anything, too. They want to stop me from going to mass every week and to my youth group, and they're against anything I read that has to do with Catholicism or even God in general. They're afraid I'm being "sucked in" and they want to prevent it. They're even against me taking a full year of theology in college next year.

They're afraid that once I move out of their house in August, I'm going to drop everything and enter the convent. Probably wouldn't happen, but we'll see...

I don't care what my parents say. My vocation is what God wants for me, not what they want for me. And I'd choose God over my parents any day.

Just keep praying...

ok so i just got back from pre-postulant week and i'd say about half if not more are having problems with the parents. some of them are even devout Catholics but just don't wanna let thier baby go. its mostly moms. My dad is supportive for the most part, but mom keeps letting me know she hates it.
pray for her please!

• 3 weeks later...

This is amazing....

Last night my mom told me that she wants me to be happy and if I wanted to be a priest my dad and her would both be okay with it. I hinted strongly after that, but she didn't quite pick up on what I was saying. It'll make telling them a lot easier, though. Thank you Jesus!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

you lucky people... whose parents are willing to allow their children enter into the priesthood or religious life! My mom is strange, Catholic, yet strange...I can never ask her what a great part about being Catholic is because she'll say "it's just part of who you are..." sounds like she doesn't know what to say to me...

My mom doesn't want me to be a nun :(

I want to be a nun, particularly cloistered... but I'd miss my church friends, but that's what the community is for! Yay!

wow... some parents are just so .... i dunno.

My dad and I were talking about this topic the other day, after I told him I had a dream about Nuns and i was speaking with them and they were all crying. My dad even suggested that God may be calling to be a sister :)

I'll pray for those that are suffering because of their parents opinion of their vocations and for the parents as well, that they may understand God calls those He wants to religious vocation it isn't our will it is His Will.

God Bless,
Jennie Catherine

FutureSoror

I feel blessed to have parents that are soo encouraging about my vocation. I think it will be hard for my mom to let go... and the rest of my family for that matter... but they are wonderful

Edited by FutureSoror

My parents, both Catholic and regular Mass goers were opposed to my being a priest. I wanted to enter the Seminary at the age of 18 after finishing school but my mother wa the most opposed. She said I could wait until I wa 21 then if I still wanted to I could go ahead, but in her opinion I would still be making a mistake.
I wrote to the Archbishop of the Diocese, at the time, Cardinal Gilroy, who wrote back that obedience to the will of my mother would always bring a greater blessing from God! needless to say my parish priest disagreed!! However after 4 years I joined the Capuchins, something I would never have imagined. I have been a Capuchin now for 28 years and a priest for 21 and have never regreted or doubted for a minute. My father never lived to see my ordination, he died 1 year before my ordination,my mother finally accepted my decision 6 years after I was ordained!! But I shall always be greatful to her in a way for withour her initial opposition I would have not joined the Capuchin Friars and I dearsay been as happy as I am today. The advice of Cardinal Gilroy was prophetic.

sorry if this post does not fit in with the conversation because i didnt read the rest of the posts but i just wanted to give my input to "pax."

My bishop, Bishop Carl Mengeling (sp.?) of the Diocese of Lansing told me a story of his decision to enter the seminary. I think he said that his mother was supportive of his decision, but his father wasn't. Carl had never had a conversation with his dad consisting of more than one or two words in his whole life and he was scared to death of him. Yet, he was so determined that one day he went up to his father and said, "I don't care what you say or what you do, I am going to enter the seminary next year." His dad did not protest and allowed him to enter the seminary. (*NOT THAT THIS IS THE APPROACH THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE haha*) If anyone from Lansing knows this story better please share.

I will be entering the seminary next year as a freshman in college at the St John Vianney Seminary in St Paul, MN. My parents are very supportive of my vocation, thanks be to God, and I pray that you may have the same blessing.