Sign in to follow this  
pax

Parents

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
you lucky people... whose parents are willing to allow their children enter into the priesthood or religious life! My mom is strange, Catholic, yet strange...I can never ask her what a great part about being Catholic is because she'll say "it's just part of who you are..." sounds like she doesn't know what to say to me...

My mom doesn't want me to be a nun :(

I want to be a nun, particularly cloistered... but I'd miss my church friends, but that's what the community is for! Yay!

StColette
wow... some parents are just so .... i dunno.

My dad and I were talking about this topic the other day, after I told him I had a dream about Nuns and i was speaking with them and they were all crying. My dad even suggested that God may be calling to be a sister :)

I'll pray for those that are suffering because of their parents opinion of their vocations and for the parents as well, that they may understand God calls those He wants to religious vocation it isn't our will it is His Will.

God Bless,
Jennie Catherine

FutureSoror
I feel blessed to have parents that are soo encouraging about my vocation. I think it will be hard for my mom to let go... and the rest of my family for that matter... but they are wonderful Edited by FutureSoror

cappie
My parents, both Catholic and regular Mass goers were opposed to my being a priest. I wanted to enter the Seminary at the age of 18 after finishing school but my mother wa the most opposed. She said I could wait until I wa 21 then if I still wanted to I could go ahead, but in her opinion I would still be making a mistake.
I wrote to the Archbishop of the Diocese, at the time, Cardinal Gilroy, who wrote back that obedience to the will of my mother would always bring a greater blessing from God! needless to say my parish priest disagreed!! However after 4 years I joined the Capuchins, something I would never have imagined. I have been a Capuchin now for 28 years and a priest for 21 and have never regreted or doubted for a minute. My father never lived to see my ordination, he died 1 year before my ordination,my mother finally accepted my decision 6 years after I was ordained!! But I shall always be greatful to her in a way for withour her initial opposition I would have not joined the Capuchin Friars and I dearsay been as happy as I am today. The advice of Cardinal Gilroy was prophetic.

louisville
sorry if this post does not fit in with the conversation because i didnt read the rest of the posts but i just wanted to give my input to "pax."

My bishop, Bishop Carl Mengeling (sp.?) of the Diocese of Lansing told me a story of his decision to enter the seminary. I think he said that his mother was supportive of his decision, but his father wasn't. Carl had never had a conversation with his dad consisting of more than one or two words in his whole life and he was scared to death of him. Yet, he was so determined that one day he went up to his father and said, "I don't care what you say or what you do, I am going to enter the seminary next year." His dad did not protest and allowed him to enter the seminary. (*NOT THAT THIS IS THE APPROACH THAT YOU SHOULD TAKE haha*) If anyone from Lansing knows this story better please share.

I will be entering the seminary next year as a freshman in college at the St John Vianney Seminary in St Paul, MN. My parents are very supportive of my vocation, thanks be to God, and I pray that you may have the same blessing.

Pio Nono
JMJ
7/21 - St. Lawrence of Brindisi

louisville,

Entering at SJV this fall? Wonderful! I'll be a senior, though I'll be in Rome my first semester. You might see me for a few days, but I'll be bugging out pretty fast.

Good to have you on board; the Lansing guys are a good group of men.

louisville
indeed, those guys are great. especially anthony strouse. hes helped me out so much this past year with this process and he'll make a great priest. look forward to seeing you.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
[quote name='StColette' date='Jul 20 2004, 05:32 PM'] My dad and I were talking about this topic the other day, after I told him I had a dream about Nuns and i was speaking with them and they were all crying. [/quote]
Interesting... nuns all crying? hmmm...

StColette
[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jul 22 2004, 01:24 PM'] Interesting... nuns all crying? hmmm... [/quote]
yes they were all crying, I was speaking to what I gathered to be the mother superior, it was so sad just all of them were in tears and I have no idea why.