An Old School Catholic Message Board

Patron Saint Of Speech Impediments?

cartermia

I have looked all over for the patron saint of speech impediments but I have not found him/her. Does anybody know who this may be?

PhuturePriest

What about Zechariah (John the Baptist's father)?

He was temporarily struck dumb and unable to speak for his lack of faith, but then it came back to him. That's hardly a speech impediment.

Stuttering and stammering are actually medical terms that have been very watered down in society. People say that Obama sometimes "stutters", but he doesn't. Everyone sometimes hesitates or makes a repetitive noise when they're really excited or in shock and afraid, but those aren't technically stutters. A stutter (Otherwise known as stammer; people think they mean different things, but they actually don't) is a technical term for someone who, without speech therapy, cannot stop. A normal person who "stutters" can easily stop simply by taking a breath and trying the word out again. For stammerers, it is not this easy. It sometimes takes years of speech therapy to speak fluently, and even then, there is no cure for stammering. If a stammer isn't taken care of at a young age, a stammerer will have it for the rest of his life. He can only learn how to manage it. It is true that some stammerers who take speech therapy have great success and speak with no hesitations or repetitions, but I assure you, those people still have a stammer that can come out at any time. It is through force of discipline and remembering proper speaking techniques that these people can speak normally most of the time, but they will sometimes stammer. It's quite unfortunate, but thankfully we will be perfect in heaven, so I'll be able to speak a million miles an hour and drive everyone around me nuts for all eternity. :P

It's quite unfortunate, but thankfully we will be perfect in heaven, so I'll be able to speak a million miles an hour and drive everyone around me nuts for all eternity. :P

WELL depending on one's beliefs, one could assume that everyone in heaven would be worshipping God for all of eternity. Therefore, you would be speaking a million miles an hour about God, and that wouldn't drive people insane because everyone else would be doing the same :P

PhuturePriest

WELL depending on one's beliefs, one could assume that everyone in heaven would be worshipping God for all of eternity. Therefore, you would be speaking a million miles an hour about God, and that wouldn't drive people insane because everyone else would be doing the same :P

The thing is, we don't know exactly what worshiping God for all eternity entails. Monks worship God not just through doing the Liturgy of the Hours and the Rosary, but they offer everything they do as a prayer to God, even if they aren't particularly speaking to him. It is my understanding that we will be able to talk to each other in heaven, because we will be perfect, and everything we do will give glory and honor to God without us particularly speaking directly to him.

He was temporarily struck dumb and unable to speak for his lack of faith, but then it came back to him. That's hardly a speech impediment.

Stuttering and stammering are actually medical terms that have been very watered down in society. People say that Obama sometimes "stutters", but he doesn't. Everyone sometimes hesitates or makes a repetitive noise when they're really excited or in shock and afraid, but those aren't technically stutters. A stutter (Otherwise known as stammer; people think they mean different things, but they actually don't) is a technical term for someone who, without speech therapy, cannot stop. A normal person who "stutters" can easily stop simply by taking a breath and trying the word out again. For stammerers, it is not this easy. It sometimes takes years of speech therapy to speak fluently, and even then, there is no cure for stammering. If a stammer isn't taken care of at a young age, a stammerer will have it for the rest of his life. He can only learn how to manage it. It is true that some stammerers who take speech therapy have great success and speak with no hesitations or repetitions, but I assure you, those people still have a stammer that can come out at any time. It is through force of discipline and remembering proper speaking techniques that these people can speak normally most of the time, but they will sometimes stammer. It's quite unfortunate, but thankfully we will be perfect in heaven, so I'll be able to speak a million miles an hour and drive everyone around me nuts for all eternity. :P

I like everything that FP said besides the Heaven part and him driving all of us nuts! :P

Out of props.... but yes, and this gives 'speaking in tongues' a whole new meaning.... :p