An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carla Discerning Vocation

Carla

Those are great things to do, Carla! I got rid of Facebook last summer and it was a very wise decision.

But then I replaced it by spending too much time on Phatmass... :P

Those are great things to do, Carla! I got rid of Facebook last summer and it was a very wise decision.

But then I replaced it by spending too much time on Phatmass... :P

True SilentJoy Facebook is big waste of time.I'm spending a lot of time here but after i visit Phatmass i feel great joy in my hart :hehe:

I found amazing people here who thinks similar as me.

domenica_therese

Carla, you are right, vocation takes a lot of bravery. I will pray for you to have the courage to pursue this fearlessly. The most important act of all is to have the courage to open your heart completely to Christ; everything else will follow!

As I have become more serious about my vocation, I have wondered a bit about how I needed to change my life to reflect that, and honestly there haven't been a lot of big changes, other than the incorporation of a lot more deliberate structure into my prayer life. Everything has been gradual. I have always dressed fairly conservatively, and I wear the same t-shirts and jeans and cardigans I always did. It is important to dress modestly so that we can more purely radiate God to others as temples of the Holy Spirit, but there is a time and a place for postulant outfits. :) 

Are there any specific orders or spiritualities you are feeling called to? You don't have to list them if you don't feel comfortable, I'm just curious if the call is that specific yet. 

Domenica Therese thank you for your kind words.You are right ,vocation is every day praying that God help us found the right way he chose for us.It is not easy but my heart

is completely open to Christ so i know she will found the right path for me.

I'm very graceful to God that i have my parents.In this life ride the support me 100%. My parents and family give me great power to continue with my vocation!

My mother is telling all around how she is proud on me :hehe2:

I'm not thinking that my clothes is something very important for my vocation.But still in my collage days i have dress my self very openly to everything.Now i need to change some habits.Future postulant must respect her self and religion.So i buy some modest clothes like longer skirts and shirts.Also when i wear my shirts i wear then complete closed.It is just my way of saying that i fully devoted to my vocation.It is just my internal decision.

Of course i can share my favorite orders.I have wish in my heart of.At the moment i' m studding a Catholic university

and my plan is to graduate till summer.On my school i'm teaching to become Catholic religion teacher in school.

My plan is with God's help found community that i can start my vocation this fall.My wish in my hart is to become Nun teacher and teach in school, but i' m open with any vocation path that God is wish from me.

I will like to join some Dominican order that teach in schools.But Vocation is live so recently think i have found recently order

Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest and i can not stop reading about them.It is something completely different of my imagined Nun life.

To be completely honest closter life bring me kind of scare in me.I'm not sure is my Faith strong for this kind of life.I love kids and i love teaching. But my heart is open to Christ so he will help me to pick right order for me.

God bless you all :nun3:

Carla,

Interesting reading your story... I'll offer some basic practical advice here. 

In general it is good to be patient and seek out advice during this process.  Sharing on Phatmass is a very good idea.  I'd also find a community you can discuss practical details with as well as a good priest as spiritual director.

When I read your posts it is difficult to tell if you are feeling the calling to religious life or just a more religious life...  You are going through many changes in your life right now, orienting yourself more towards God and the Sacraments than before, so have you felt a call to a religious vocation or have you felt a call to live your life more religiously regardless of your specific vocation?  This is something many of us must ask ourselves if we are truly open to God's will, whatever it may be and the way to ask that question is through discernment. 

Even though I counsel patience, if you are finishing up your college degree and your goal was to be a catholic school teacher, then going to discern with an order immediately after school does make some sense.  If you find an active order it will probably give you some experience teaching kids and will only help you get a job afterwards.

Either way, focus on your spiritual life and discernment first.  Looking into orders and considering religious life is part of that, but it is not the only thing that is important right now.

Notredame that you for your kind words.

I ask me self the same question whole past year.Do i seek just more religion in my life or i have true vocation.

Is it just a phase in life? Or my friends decision influence on me.I ask me self all that past year,

But last few months i have strong desire for religious life.But i have a lot of road ahead of me.

I have join this forum to help me is some way in my journey.What we will be at end only God know.

But you are right for true Vocation time is very important.

Ancilla Domini

Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest and i can not stop reading about them. It is something completely different of my imagined Nun life.

I absolutely love the Sisters Adorers! My family and I spent a few days at the Christ the King seminary in Gricigliano, this past July, and I got to talk with one of the sisters. They're a wonderful order. :)

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Today i will like to ask you about the reaction for you decision to discerning your vocation .I mean not only family but i mean on your friends and all the people around you.

For me family it is not a problem but all the rest people do not understand it.I'm coming from very Catholic country.People are going to masses and the practice religion.

But when you notice possible religious life they just stare at you and ask you why i want to throw away you life.

Of course when you start your religion life you give up from many thinks.If i start my religion life i will never have family or children and i'm sad because of that.But i will get much more.I will complete my desire to become sister and i will get much bigger family.I will become bride of Christ that is not throw away life it is fully life.

What is your experience?

Carla, you have answered your own question - to enter religious life is not to throw anything away, but to gain everything.

What can a human husband give you that would be more than God can?

When someone says they are engaged to be married, no one says 'oh, but why are you throwing away the chance to be a Bride of Christ!'

Maybe they should!

Remember that what is loss in the eyes of the world is gain according to heaven.

"What if I gain the whole world, yet suffer the loss of my own soul".

Some possible things to say to people who accuse you of throwing everything away:

- oh, so you think I should ignore what God is asking me to do?

- what would you say to Jesus if he asked you to be His bride?

- did the Apostles and Mary throw everything away when they followed Him and His will?

- you are right, I should ignore God and be disobedient to His call, but at least I won't have thrown everything away.

- maybe you don't understand what religious life is really about if you think that. I can help you to understand better if you want......

- I wonder what Pope Francis would think if he heard you say that......

Of course i'm not thinking that my religion vocation is vaste of my life.But still i have doubts is my vocation strong enough.

I have lived meny years not involved so mutch in my faith no mather my devoded catholic rasing in my family.For meny years vocation has not been part of my life plan.But like in every true vocation you can not plan it.Last year my desaire for vocation just happend to me.I have not plan it, i'm not sure did i even want it then.But now i'm fully open to my vocation with all my heart.

I do not know did other persons who feelt the vocation know right away 100% that they will become sisters.To join here it is one of the things i'm doing to help me in this doubts.But with devoded praying Christ will help me to found my path.

ChristinaTherese

To answer your question, my friends are fine with it (they're pretty much all Protestant and I'm not sure how much they understand, but they're not opposed to me becoming a nun if that is God's will and if they've asked why it's totally understandable), my brother (basically the only other Catholic in the family) is absolutely wonderful (and also discerning), but my parents are quite unsupportive (I haven't really talked to them much about discernment, but I have a very little bit, and they keep thinking about my plausible future career and howI should go to grad school). (I hope that's a coherent sentence even though it's so very long and probably run-on....)

But like in every true vocation you can not plan it.

I like what you've said.

And maybe you won't really know until you have tried it for a while!

To answer your question, my friends are fine with it (they're pretty much all Protestant and I'm not sure how much they understand, but they're not opposed to me becoming a nun if that is God's will and if they've asked why it's totally understandable), my brother (basically the only other Catholic in the family) is absolutely wonderful (and also discerning), but my parents are quite unsupportive (I haven't really talked to them much about discernment, but I have a very little bit, and they keep thinking about my plausible future career and howI should go to grad school). (I hope that's a coherent sentence even though it's so very long and probably run-on....)

I wish and pray for you that you get support by your family.Family support is important and you vocation is easier then.For my family my possible vocation is big blessing.In Sunday after mass i will meet with my student campus priest.He recently come beck from his studding in Rome.I have never meet him before.He is young as i have heard that he is very cool priest.He heard for my discerning vocation and he want to talk with me,

Pray for me :nun3:

Welcome, Carla.  our community will remember you on Sunday.  Happily, with prayer there is no distance.  A campus priest can be a big help.

We have a group of young women searching for their vocation staying with us this weekend.  They just came in about an hour ago on a "Nun Run."  If you never heard that expression, we'll be happy to explain.  It was new to us, too, until a few years ago! 

Thank you Little Sister for you prayer.Expression "Nun Run." i have heard for it but i do not know what this exactly mean.Is it some kind of visiting monastery to get closer to Vocation or religious life?

I can wait to meet my student chaplain tomorrow,My friends told me that he is Salesian priest and he is born in Canada.He is little bit older then me.Starting from next week i will start visiting some monasteries in my area.But here is it realty hard to found what i looking for.Here most of the orders are cloister or semi cloister and they do not teach the work in parishes and kindergartens.I have think also maybe to join some monastery out of my country.But to be honest i'm not sure how this is working and also i will be very far from my family.But this is only start of my discerning

Yesterday i have found beautiful prayer for me

Lord, my God and my loving Father, you have made me to know you, to love you, to serve you,
and thereby to find and to fulfill myself.  I know that you are in all things, and that every path can lead me to you.  But of them all, there is one especially by which you want me to come to you.
Since I will do what you want of me, I pray you, send your Holy Spirit to me: into my mind,
to show me what you want of me; into my heart, to give me the determination to do it,
and to do it with all my love, with all my mind, and with all my strength right to the end.  Amen.