An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carla Discerning Vocation

Carla

Please don't feel like you have to rush, Carla! :) Its okay if it takes a while for you to find a religious community where you feel at home. Also, it is natural to be afraid of going to a community far from your family; for a while I was applying to a community only 500 miles away, and the distance was overwhelming me! I can't imagine having to go outside of the country!

domenica_therese

I am joining a teaching order, and for me it was very helpful to clarify the question of why I wanted to teach. When I realized that I felt called not just to teach, but to spread truth and set souls on fire through teaching... Dominicans were an obvious choice.

Please don't feel like you have to rush, Carla! :) Its okay if it takes a while for you to find a religious community where you feel at home. Also, it is natural to be afraid of going to a community far from your family; for a while I was applying to a community only 500 miles away, and the distance was overwhelming me! I can't imagine having to go outside of the country!

Ah i'm not rushing. :hehe2: It is just great joy in heart because of my possible vocation.I will give my self as mutch time i need.Chosing a perfect religius comunnity is like chosing your husband you can pick only once and it is life decidion.With distance it will be very hard for me if i go to some distant community.But it will be God will.I'm on the start if my vocation and i need to to work a lot on my spirutal preperations and praying rest will just came with time.

I am joining a teaching order, and for me it was very helpful to clarify the question of why I wanted to teach. When I realized that I felt called not just to teach, but to spread truth and set souls on fire through teaching... Dominicans were an obvious choice.

Uh i love Dominicans so mucth.In my heart now at the momet i want to be teach and spred the God words.But i'm on the start of my vocation so with every new day and every praying i closer to God plans for me.

Chosing a perfect religius comunnity is like chosing your husband you can pick only once and it is life decidion.

I think that there should be the desire to remain in a community permanently, but sometimes people enter several communities before they find the place where they are really at home. I'm discerning with a Monastery where I dearly hope that I can fit in and stay for the rest of my life, but it is a long process and I won't know for sure if that is really my home until (if!) I make final vows in 5 or 6 years. Even then, I might transfer to another community someday...

Just wanted to thank all of you who are sending me beautiful messages and prayers of support by PM.If you have any question or you want to share something with me be free to do so by sending me PM.I will be very grace full to any experience or support.

Also i will like to share that my meeting with my student chaplain went perfect.He is amazing person and Priest.He offer me any support i need during my discerning vocation.

I will share more with you soon.

Praise Jesus our lord

Hello Carla,

I have also started being excited about the possibility of being a sister last year right after Easter Sunday! I was having A BIG NO in my heart for a long time about this possible vocation, it's been nearly 11 months now and I have been the most joyful person ever in my life since I let God take over my life. I'm clay and  He's the potter, let Him mould me according to His will.

I'm currently in Hong Kong with family's 100% opposition to this possible vocation but currently feel God is calling me to an American order the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. It's a long story but if you're interested you can check out Sr Catherine, an ex-Olympic speedskater  ;)

I was very worried about distance from my family too but if God is calling you to go somewhere far we just have to fully trust and dive in with Him! I'm still very worried about many things as I've just started working and of course my family is very much into making sure I have a good career when my heart is set on doing God's will and spending more time in prayer...not necessarily a religious vocation but really, my goal isn't to have a glamorous career if that's not His will!

Prayers are greatly appreciated and I'll be praying for you all!! God bless.

Hello Carla,

I have also started being excited about the possibility of being a sister last year right after Easter Sunday! I was having A BIG NO in my heart for a long time about this possible vocation, it's been nearly 11 months now and I have been the most joyful person ever in my life since I let God take over my life. I'm clay and  He's the potter, let Him mould me according to His will.

I'm currently in Hong Kong with family's 100% opposition to this possible vocation but currently feel God is calling me to an American order the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. It's a long story but if you're interested you can check out Sr Catherine, an ex-Olympic speedskater  ;)

I was very worried about distance from my family too but if God is calling you to go somewhere far we just have to fully trust and dive in with Him! I'm still very worried about many things as I've just started working and of course my family is very much into making sure I have a good career when my heart is set on doing God's will and spending more time in prayer...not necessarily a religious vocation but really, my goal isn't to have a glamorous career if that's not His will!

Prayers are greatly appreciated and I'll be praying for you all!! God bless.

Hello Janet

I'm so happy because you shared your story with us.I have very similar feelings.Till last year i have no wish for religious vocation.I wanted family and at least 2 kids :)

But last year it all got changed for me.Some big changes started in my life and as result of that i have felt strong desire to become religious sister.

I'm trying to change my life and put my faith in the center of my life.And the result is that i have not been happier in my life.First i have just think it is a period and my desire will fade.But i got something different.I have open my heart to Jesus and i'm sure he will help me to found my vocation.I have many doubts ahead of me but i'm sure my praying will found my vocation.Thank you for telling me for Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal.

They heart is so big!I have visited their page today:)I will pray tonight for you that your family realize how munch this mean to you.

God bless you.

Dominican Nuns Menlo Park

Welcome Carla!

We'll keep you in prayers on your discernment journey.  The path is not easy but you've started it....Thanks be to God!

Jesus says today...Everything is possible to one who has faith! 

God bless!

Back to the Nun Run.  The one we just had is typical : a group of young women, usually in the 17-23 year age range, get together and make arrangements to visit as many different communities as their  time off allows.  Sometimes they travel quite a distance, and the individual visits are very short, usually 24 hours at most.  That's why they call it a "Run."   (Actually, sometimes, "Race" would be just as accurate a description.) They may stop at just a few communities or motherhouses, or it may be several. 

This time, we welcomed seven college students accompanied by their chaplain.  They drove over 400 miles one way, spent a night and most of a day with us, then went to the "Pink Sisters" about ten minutes away for Vespers and a visit with the community.  (The correct name of the Pink SIsters is the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, but they're commonly referred to as "Pink"  because of their beautiful rose-colored habits.)

The girls planned to also spend time at a Franciscan Motherhouse at some distance farther, but those sisters had a serious flood in their guest quarters just a couple of days earlier so they could not offer them lodging.. Instead the group came back here for another evening, and went to a Carmelite Monastery for Mass and a visit on their way home

They joined us for Compline and Lauds, saw a few short videos on different aspects of our history and work with the elderly, followed by a very good question-and-answer answer session,  and  a tour to meet many of our residents and assist some to Mass on Saturday.  It was also fortunate that several of them were music majors, so we had a ready-made choir, cantors, and readers for the feast of the Chair of St. Peter. The liturgy was beautiful.

Since we have a live-in service/discernment program for holiday time, a few of them plan to come back for a more intense experience of our life and our mission.   Next weekend, there will be another Nun Run through our place, but I think that on the whole this group will be younger.

This may seem like a lot of detail, but it is the general pattern for these projects.  Students from the same colleges also go to Chicago at Easter time to work in a soup kitchen run by the Missionaries of Charity.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but If anyone has questions, feel free to ask of pm.

God bless us one and all.

Welcome Carla!

We'll keep you in prayers on your discernment journey.  The path is not easy but you've started it....Thanks be to God!

Jesus says today...Everything is possible to one who has faith! 

God bless!

Thank you sister.Please pray for my discerning vocation.God bless you.

Back to the Nun Run.  The one we just had is typical : a group of young women, usually in the 17-23 year age range, get together and make arrangements to visit as many different communities as their  time off allows.  Sometimes they travel quite a distance, and the individual visits are very short, usually 24 hours at most.  That's why they call it a "Run."   (Actually, sometimes, "Race" would be just as accurate a description.) They may stop at just a few communities or motherhouses, or it may be several. 

This time, we welcomed seven college students accompanied by their chaplain.  They drove over 400 miles one way, spent a night and most of a day with us, then went to the "Pink Sisters" about ten minutes away for Vespers and a visit with the community.  (The correct name of the Pink SIsters is the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, but they're commonly referred to as "Pink"  because of their beautiful rose-colored habits.)

The girls planned to also spend time at a Franciscan Motherhouse at some distance farther, but those sisters had a serious flood in their guest quarters just a couple of days earlier so they could not offer them lodging.. Instead the group came back here for another evening, and went to a Carmelite Monastery for Mass and a visit on their way home

They joined us for Compline and Lauds, saw a few short videos on different aspects of our history and work with the elderly, followed by a very good question-and-answer answer session,  and  a tour to meet many of our residents and assist some to Mass on Saturday.  It was also fortunate that several of them were music majors, so we had a ready-made choir, cantors, and readers for the feast of the Chair of St. Peter. The liturgy was beautiful.

Since we have a live-in service/discernment program for holiday time, a few of them plan to come back for a more intense experience of our life and our mission.   Next weekend, there will be another Nun Run through our place, but I think that on the whole this group will be younger.

This may seem like a lot of detail, but it is the general pattern for these projects.  Students from the same colleges also go to Chicago at Easter time to work in a soup kitchen run by the Missionaries of Charity.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but If anyone has questions, feel free to ask of pm.

God bless us one and all.

You are so kind to explain me "Nun run" thank you.If i have some more question i will be free to ask.

Today after my classes i will meet a girl who is also going to my university.She give application to Poor Clares monastery.I i did not know that on my collage other aspirant to religious life exists.It seams God connect us to discerning our vocation together.

Glad to hear that Carla! 

Thank you Janet.We have meet yesterday and i have been amazed with this girl.We are same age and she spend whole collage in her in discerning her vocation.First as me also she wanted to enter in one of the teaching orders.But with time and praying and a lot of discerning she got desire to join a cloister order.After her graduation (she plan to finish till summer) she will enter in Poor Clares cloister community.i'm thank full God that i have found people like this in my life.Same i have meet amazing people here on Phatmass. who all help me in my discerning vocation.This remind me that i need to open my heart to Jesus and my vocation.I will give my self time that my Vocation grow strong like her.First i will work hard on my religion life and i will try to educate my self more then i sure God will found path for me.

God bless you all

It is very nice to meet you, Carla! This website is very useful for those in discernment: http://vocationoperation.blogspot.com/
It was put together by Kim Lee and Emily Ann, and it is very well organized. It has information on many different things including spiritualities, communities, and discernment. I know it has helped me a lot!
God bless :)

If you have any questions etc, I AM KIM LEE from the Vocation Operation. I am discerning myself. 

Feel free to join in our vocations chat group on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vocations.chat/

God Bless,

Kim Lee