An Old School Catholic Message Board

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

stevegershom (dot) com is a blog written by a Catholic guy with SSA. Highly recommended. You're not alone :)

That blog was just recommended to me a few days ago. Thanks for the link. :like:

That's quite a leap, don't you think? Especially considering we have never interacted?

And since we've never interacted, I will warn you now: if you think that was a rant, it's probably best to block me before I actually go on a rant.

Considering that you asked for questions, then called the first person to actually ask a question an "idiot", then asked what other people thought about gay rights, I wasn't making a leap at all.  And you didn't answer my question either.

I am gay.

I did not just admit to lesbian sex.
I did not just admit to a "homosexual lifestyle".
I did not just admit to supporting any agenda held by all homosexual persons.

(Is that really even a thing? I digress.)

What you know is what I've told you: that I have an inclination toward women in a romantic sense. You know nothing more. It is ignorant to assume you do. What you don't know CAN hurt you; choose to stick to facts. Choose to see humanity in light of divinity. Choose love.

Do you have questions? I'll answer them as honestly and frankly as I can.

I've come out once on phatmass before -- though I'm told I came out then as bi -- but I'm in a different place now (comfort wise) and I'd like to start talking about the big stuff, the stuff that really matters in our culture today. The stuff that's making headlines and dividing sanctuaries.

Give me your best shot.

What issues do you feel you need to talk about? I'm not trying to be dismissive, I just honestly don't know.

So, I'm an idiot now, because I wanted to know what you wanted to talk about?

franciscanheart

Considering that you asked for questions, then called the first person to actually ask a question an "idiot", then asked what other people thought about gay rights, I wasn't making a leap at all. And you didn't answer my question either.

IcePrincessKRS is a long-time member, an ex-long-time moderator, and a dear friend. Look at her post.

My response to the poster you mentioned probably didn't do well to set a great stage for discussion. But I don't much care for ignorance or disrespect. Mixed together in one post and heaped on top of some ugly history and well, I am not surprised I said what I did, however distasteful.

You're new here so trust me on this: I wasn't setting up a place to rant about anything. If you don't want to trust that, fine by me.

IcePrincessKRS is a long-time member, an ex-long-time moderator, and a dear friend. Look at her post.

My response to the poster you mentioned probably didn't do well to set a great stage for discussion. But I don't much care for ignorance or disrespect. Mixed together in one post and heaped on top of some ugly history and well, I am not surprised I said what I did, however distasteful.

You're new here so trust me on this: I wasn't setting up a place to rant about anything. If you don't want to trust that, fine by me.

You have told me, repeatedly, that I don't know anything about you. I am not really hip to the problems that gay people have. I asked a genuine question with no disrespect meant, because I can't read your mind and have no idea what you wanted to talk about. I understand you've disliked me for a long time, but it still was not warranted.

I've got one. although perhaps given the thread so far you may not be in a place where you can answer this question.

How would you advise religious people (catholics in particular, if you want) deal with prejudice from the gay community/allies? 

How do we approach dialog with people when their preconceived notion is that our perspective is grounded in disrespect?

How should religious individuals reach past intolerance and invite those in the majority to ask the minority "why." E.g.: why are you opposed to gay marriage? (as opposed to assuming it is based on hatred/fear of gay people.)