An Old School Catholic Message Board

Update On Nonnovi!

NonNovi

I'm figuring either 2nd or 3rd from the left... when I have some more time I'll try to look up the other pictutures on the SJM website (he gave us the link last page of this thread) because there were a lot more pictures of him and we may be able to ID him better....  If anyone has more time than I do today, feel free to give it a try....

regardless, he looks SOOOO happy!   :)

Look at the hairline...

TheresaThoma

I'd definitely say third from left. I have a card for him sitting on my desk I just need to get an international stamp to put on it.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update. I'm back in Belgium now. No worries, I haven't left the SJM. In the summer all of the novices and scholastics accompany summercamps and stuff. I was allowed to go on a camp with the youth group I founded myself.

Investiture was simple (we don't have big ceremonies), just blessing of the cassocks the night before. In May we had the big 30 days retreat, wich was pretty intense. In June we had a Pontifical Solemn Mass (EF)with the archbishop of Liechtenstein in a German Mary sanctuary, wich was super nice That's about it for the past months I think. Life as a novice isn't that different from life as a postulant. I became "primus" of the novices, wich means I'm responsable for some small things like making sure everybody in the noviciate is awake at 5:30. I'm also responsable for planning the liturgy, wich is actually not a task for a novice. Since we use both ordinary and extraordinary form it's always a challenge to combine both calendars. I guess the superiors really trust me.

Theresathoma, thank you so much for your card! I really appreciate it, it was wonderful to receive mail.

And I'm indeed the third one from the left on the picture. It was taken on the day of investiture. The ones on the left and right are the former novices who took their temporary vows on the same day. The four in the middle are the new novices.

Hey, we don't know each other, but the convent I'm discerning with is also in Austria and has the EF most of the time! I think it's great to have the SJM here and it's good to hear they are growing.

You'll be in my prayers, especially to our country's great patron saint. Und grüß das schöne Österreich von mir ;)

which convent?

Investiture was simple (we don't have big ceremonies), just blessing of the cassocks the night before. In May we had the big 30 days retreat, wich was pretty intense.

30 day meaning 30 day Ignaitan exercises?  Yes those are intense, but life changing! :)

@Oremus1: The Capuchin Sisters of Perpetual Adoration  (Kapuzinerinnen von der ewigen Anbetung) in Salzburg . There's not much about them on the internet, let alone in English, but I found a bit about their church if you're interested: http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/churches_cemeteries/loretokirche

@Nonnovi: Great to hear from you! And it's kind of funny you met archbishop Haas, I actually lived in a building next to his for a week when I stayed with the Sisters of the Precious Blood in Schellenberg :)

@NonNovi!!!!   So good to hear from you!!!    YOu are in my prayers -- and yes, on my never-moving 'must write these letters' list... in fact, your letter to me is on my DESK!  So glad to know all is going well!!

OF ALL THE TIMES for us to have our private messaging system dismantled!  (there are some threads about it in open mic, but don't waste your limited on-line time reading them).   And of course, I am out of props.  Grrrrrr!

It sounds as if you have had a wonderful novitiate experience thus far, and yes the Spiritual Exercises are intense... but very powerful.  (Always to be undertaken under qualified spiritual direction, I might add!)  I know you have said before that your community is very Jesuit-like in structure, and doing the SpEx was always a part of the Jesuit tradition at the beginning of their religious life, so I know that you had good supervision in place for your Exercises.  

If you are comfortable sharing this in an open forum, how are your parents and family doing with your vocation at this point?   Has the tension died down at all?   

Please let your brother novices and seminarians know we pray for them.. .and I will do what I can ( :paperbag: )  to get a snail mail letter off to you so  it will be there when you get home to the novitiate.  Unless you care to post a summer address?

brandelynmarie

Prayers for you, NonNovi. :) Very happy that you are progressing in formation. I've been watching from afar, but wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you...

30 day meaning 30 day Ignaitan exercises?  

Yes, we have to do them in the noviciate and a second time a few years after being ordained (in the time of tertiate, a "second" noviciate year for priests).

@Nonnovi: Great to hear from you! And it's kind of funny you met archbishop Haas, I actually lived in a building next to his for a week when I stayed with the Sisters of the Precious Blood in Schellenberg :)

Archbishop Haas is awesome :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KaIyxYK9E (I'm the one holding the book at the end).

It sounds as if you have had a wonderful novitiate experience thus far, and yes the Spiritual Exercises are intense... but very powerful.  (Always to be undertaken under qualified spiritual direction, I might add!)  I know you have said before that your community is very Jesuit-like in structure, and doing the SpEx was always a part of the Jesuit tradition at the beginning of their religious life, so I know that you had good supervision in place for your Exercises.  

If you are comfortable sharing this in an open forum, how are your parents and family doing with your vocation at this point?   Has the tension died down at all?   

Please let your brother novices and seminarians know we pray for them.. .and I will do what I can ( :paperbag: )  to get a snail mail letter off to you so  it will be there when you get home to the novitiate.  Unless you care to post a summer address?

The spiritual exercises belong to our core business. Our priests are well trained to give them, so that's not a problem. Every member of the congregation has to do a retreat every year with spiritual exercises (not necessarily the 30 day program of course, usually a week).

As I suspected, my family is doing better with my vocation. My mother even tries to have some church related things to say every time I call here (when something happened in our diocese for example). And my father helps out when administrational stuff arrives at home for me, so I guess I can assume that tension is also gone or a lot less. I'll see them tomorrow.

I'm only here for summercamp, wich starts next tuesday and will be in Germany. So it has no use to give the adress of our Belgian convent where I am now. If someone wants to send me something, send it to the motherhouse in Austria. 

@Oremus1: The Capuchin Sisters of Perpetual Adoration  (Kapuzinerinnen von der ewigen Anbetung) in Salzburg . There's not much about them on the internet, let alone in English, but I found a bit about their church if you're interested: http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/churches_cemeteries/loretokirche

Wow, I've been trying to find out about the Precious Blood Sisters in Schnellenberg, I emailed a priest about them last night actually. I think they have a related order in St Pelisberg or something. but I could not find ANYTHING  about them on the internet!
EDIT: they are here for anyone interested http://www.frauenkloster.li/

Good wishes on your discernments NonN and Matana!

Edited by oremus1

TheresaThoma

Nonovi I'm glad my card made it! I was just gifted with some international stamps so I will hopefully send another one out soon. (I'm pretty sure the post office thinks I'm crazy because I send letters all over the world, Thailand, France, Austria....)

Good to hear from you too. I'm glad things are going really well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there perhaps FUS people here doing the study abroad thing in Austria? I discovered that the former carthusian convent in Gaming is only 30 minutes away from our motherhouse. I also discovered that when the SJM were canonically erected, the Gaming convent officially was appointed as our residence (but soon after the foundation, we were able to buy our current motherhouse, so we left Gaming pretty quickly).

My family visit went very well. My grandparents and some aunts and uncles came by, it was nice. They were very curious, because they don't know a thing about religious life (or the church). Everybody without exception greeted me with the question if it wasn't too warm wearing a cassock (the weather was very warm). Later my mother also visited my summercamp and had her first Mass in the extraordinary form.

Friday afternoon I'm flying back to Austria, so I'll only have a little bit of time left to check the Phorum.

PS: What does one have to do to get a "Religious" tag these days?

Edited by NonNovi

OnlySunshine

PS: What does one have to do to get a "Religious" tag these days?

Email dUSt.  He handles the tags.  ;)