An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is The Best Carpet?

southern california guy

southern california guy

I know this is a subjective question but we are considering getting new carpet and we wondering what is the best.  Nylon? Polyester? What sort of stain blocker should it have?

southern california guy

Pure Wool Axminster.

Wow.. That might be a little beyond our budget.  But it is impressive.

blazeingstar

Go hardwood/laminate and then do trow rugs/area rugs.  The stainblock stuff is pretty bad for the environment and depending on the pile of the carpet dosn't really work anyway

maximillion

The person who lived in my house before me had a new pure wool Axminster carpet put down in the huge living room and hallway. She died about six weeks later. 

I don't much like the pattern but I could not bear the thought of ripping it out, so have learned to live with it.

It's fantastic, warm, cat proof, hardwearing.........

No carpet is the best carpet. We have fiberfloor. It's like vinyl but 1/2 thick made from foam and fibreglass. It's stain and waterproof, and soft and warm.

Whatever feels good for lying on. Seriously. I will literally sleep on fresh carpet. It's so squidgy. 

• 1 month later...
stuartkweston

While choosing a carpet you need to consider various aspects like pets, kids, do you have allergy of any particular kind, the area on which you will be laying your carpet etc. Allthough if you have considered it before hand I may like suggest you to go for 80%-20% wool carpet. They are highly durable and can be stain resistant.