An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christians Being Persecuted/discriminated Against In The Usa

cartermia

Discrimation/Persecution Against Christians in the USA  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My science teacher said there is no persecution or discrimination against Christians in the USA. I argued with him and he told me to right a paper for him (for extra credit, I asked if he could make it that) by Monday. I thought I should post it in the Debate Table since I am sure there are going to be some debates. Thoughts, arguments people!

Edited by cartermia

Look at any discussion about Jews or Muslims objecting to being discriminated against, and put a Christian in instead and see if the Christian would get the same press coverage and outrage.

Use the contraception mandate as an example. That's the only major one I can think of. Fortunately we don't have that much persecution (overt anyway). Plenty if people are jerks about it though - ask your teacher how he would feel if his child became a devout Christian, would he be angry?

Fidei Defensor

I think devout Christians are discriminated against. Lukewarm Christians are kind of the main stream, but those who take their faith seriously and actually live it are generally looked down upon. The same with the opposite end of the spectrum and atheists—vocal non-believers are looked down upon.

I agree with Maggie.

I think we tend to confuse the gaining of privileges with minorities with oppression against Christians. I would even go so far as to say that the contraception thing is mildly borderline since even while the options of contraception are available, we do not have to take them.

I think devout Christians are discriminated against. Lukewarm Christians are kind of the main stream, but those who take their faith seriously and actually live it are generally looked down upon. The same with the opposite end of the spectrum and atheists—vocal non-believers are looked down upon.

So what kind of people "take their faith" seriously are you referring to? The people who want to deny gays the right to services based on your religious views? I think that is extremely UNchristian.

We are called to love and serve one another,  not discriminate. Even if you dont agree with a persons lifestyle, doesnt mean you have to alienate them. There are tons of people whose invisible sins go unnoticed all the time and you probably serve them everyday. 

I just feel like this whole "Im such a good Catholic my life is [i][color=#ff0000]poo[/color][/i]" is kind of annoying. You feel oppressed because you have to treat everyone with love and dignity?

Edit: sorry that may have come off more aggressive than what I meant. Sorry!!! :love:

Edited by CrossCuT

Fidei Defensor

So what kind of people "take their faith" seriously are you referring to? The people who want to deny gays the right to services based on your religious views? I think that is extremely UNchristian.

We are called to love and serve one another,  not discriminate. Even if you dont agree with a persons lifestyle, doesnt mean you have to alienate them. There are tons of people whose invisible sins go unnoticed all the time and you probably serve them everyday. 

I just feel like this whole "Im such a good Catholic my life is poo" is kind of annoying. You feel oppressed because you have to treat everyone with love and dignity?

Edit: sorry that may have come off more aggressive than what I meant. Sorry!!! :love:

You're preaching to the choir :P My heaviest cross is my same sex attraction ;)

Edited by tardis ad astra

Well then I dont know what you mean.

Are you talking like, people who take their faith seriously are those who like...pray in public? Before meals for example? And then get ridiculed. Or just in small things? Or are we talking huge things like the gay marriage and contraction mandate?

Lilllabettt

Its so joy when people who are NOT members of a certain group (CrossCut)  just are SO SURE that discrimination against that group is not happening.

Like, that's rich.

I should update my coming out thread more often with the crap me and the hijabi take daily.

Because it is a DAILY grind.

This a.m.: Section leader wondering outloud: "Is it even possible for women in Muslim societies to achieve a self-authoring stage of mental development? When society has that much religious influnece."  Hijabi was sitting next to me.

Yesterday: Different class, professor came to visit section. Discussion about how teachers should deal with public school students who say they think gay sex is a sin.

Student 1: " But what do we do with kids whose families still believe this garbage?"

Professor: "I'm all for open discussion. But I am in favor of silencing discriminating voices." (e..g, kids who say they think gay sex is a sin).

So yeah. Future leaders of education ftw. Although I rejoiced that another student argued with him and compared him with the nazis. (This student risks nothing because he has established an identity in class as a queer person).  So, there's that.

Its so joy when people who are NOT members of a certain group (CrossCut)  just are SO SURE that discrimination against that group is not happening.

I dont want to be apart of the group if it means I have to be like you. 

Prayers and Love from the "others".

Ps. Your examples stink, no one should have to deal with that. But if youre trying to compare it to the oppression that gays and minorities have to go through on a country wide scale of discrimination, its lolable. And super stuck up TBH.

Edited by CrossCuT

PhuturePriest

I dont want to be apart of the group if it means I have to be like you. 

Prayers and Love from the "others".

Ps. Your examples stink, no one should have to deal with that. But if youre trying to compare it to the oppression that gays and minorities have to go through on a country wide scale of discrimination, its lolable. And super stuck up TBH.

This post is as disturbing as your sheep.