An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing My Own Pastoral Letter Of Recommendation

SilentJoy

I'm planning to volunteer at a Monastery this summer and they asked for a reference from my priest.

I'm in a parish of 1500+ families and the priest sees me when I come to daily Mass but otherwise doesn't really know me. The Monastery understands this and said that the reference could be very generic.

The priest and parish secretary asked me to write the letter and they'll type it up with Father's letterhead and signature.   :hehe2:

I'm thinking maybe I could add a few personality upgrades...perhaps "saintly" would be a little over the top; I'm thinking more along the lines of "charming, obsequious (NOT obsequies!), good with small dogs and children..."

Any template suggestions for a generic pastoral reference?

That's a great template, Max... may keep that around for future reference for similar letters or reference.

SilentJoy... this is one of those times to keep your (wonderfully) overgrown sense of humor and ridiculousness in check.... reference letters are a pretty standardized business.  Really, all they want to know is that the parish knows who you are and that they don't have any reason to NOT want to recommend you spend a few days/weeks/months with the sisters.

You want your pastor to feel that it could have come from him when he signs it.  He could always add a handwritten comment or two if he chooses to do so.

I had to ask one from my pastor a while back, when I applied to grad school.  I think all it said was that I had been in the parish for ___ years, that he thought I was a nice person to have in the parish, and I think he said I was active in some ministries.   Literally, that was all it said.

Does that help?

SilentJoy... this is one of those times to keep your (wonderfully) overgrown sense of humor and ridiculousness in check.... reference letters are a pretty standardized business.  Really, all they want to know is that the parish knows who you are and that they don't have any reason to NOT want to recommend you spend a few days/weeks/months with the sisters.

I knooowwww.... :pinch: The "obsequious" thing was a poor attempt at a joke that died on Phatmass and crawled no further (though the alarm is understandable). I can write a professional letter; I just wasn't sure what it would need to say.

Thanks, Maximillion, for the template!

But this is a WONDERFUL reference by James Stewart for his dear friend, Harvey....

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fAP2fPn2mg[/media]

ChristinaTherese

So, does that explain the really tall bunny outside of Harvey Marine?

Okay, I just found an answer here: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2191 I just knew it as a landmark, but the fact that the bunny is named Harvey made me curious after that YouTube clip. I didn't even know of the existence of that movie before, after all.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

What a tempting opportunity! I had a laugh when I read your "suggestions".

But I really can't believe they asked you to write it and they would sign it. Makes me discouraged!

What a tempting opportunity! I had a laugh when I read your "suggestions".

But I really can't believe they asked you to write it and they would sign it. Makes me discouraged!

Yes Sister, it was a little bit of a surprise...I'd asked a month earlier and the priest said he would be willing to write one, but I think he might feel too busy (I'm sure he was planning to look it over before signing).

I explained to situation to the Monastery and asked if this was going to meet their needs or if they would accept a reference from someone else in the parish; they preferred something from the priest, but they didn't want a "fake" reference either, so I'll just ask someone else.   :hehe2:

OnlySunshine

Yes Sister, it was a little bit of a surprise...I'd asked a month earlier and the priest said he would be willing to write one, but I think he might feel too busy (I'm sure he was planning to look it over before signing).

I explained to situation to the Monastery and asked if this was going to meet their needs or if they would accept a reference from someone else in the parish; they preferred something from the priest, but they didn't want a "fake" reference either, so I'll just ask someone else.   :hehe2:

It seemed odd to me, too, that the priest was willing to sign something that someone else wrote because it wouldn't be his own words.  I think it would be more genuine if you asked a volunteer coordinator from a ministry you are active in (and have been for a while) as they get to know you better than the priest does.  A priest has so many parish duties and cannot devote much of his time to one person.

I once needed a recommendation letter from 3 people for a career portfolio I had to put together for one of my classes last summer.  I asked 2 of my professors and the coordinator for the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion (at the time; he's training to be a deacon so someone else took over) and the EMHC letter was the best one because I got to know the coordinator well.  I had regular contact with him.

Just a suggestion.  ;)

Lilllabettt

This is a standard practice in the professional and academic world, especially if you are asking for a letter from someone higher up in the management structure.  Many of these people do not regularly write ANY of their own correspondence.  They give dictation, then someone types up their ideas with nicer words and sends it off. This is how the American president handles his correspondence. 

It's super awkward for the person who has to write their own letter. But its done all the time. 

ClemensBruno

This is a standard practice in the professional and academic world, especially if you are asking for a letter from someone higher up in the management structure. 

It is highly reckless to make broad proclamations with such bedrock certainty, especially concerning a topic about which one so obviously knows so little.

There is nothing "standard" about this practice.  It may occur for various unavoidable reasons, but it is ALWAYS unwise for both the recommender and recommendee to provide.  In organizations concerned with their reputation, this practice is unethical.  Furthermore, those who review letters of recommendation can easily spot the bogus ones.  Hence, such letters tend to hurt the recommendee's application.  This is especially true for coveted spots or positions.  For those who devalue such letters or care little for ethical standards, all bets are off, i.e., I am ignorant of such parties.

This bit of insight comes from someone who has direct experience in the matter from many angles.

SilentJoy, this in no way should be construed as a comment about your situation because I cannot make a sound judgement on the bits of information you provide from your limited perspective, however sincere it may be.  If the letter of recommendation is simply a formality, then why would anyone bother with the effort to write one, let alone read it?