An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing My Own Pastoral Letter Of Recommendation

SilentJoy

The purpose of the letter of recommendation from a pastor is to verify that the person in question is a member of a parish and attends mass, and is perhaps involved in some way with the parish community.  In other words, the goal is to verify that the person being recommended is a practicing Catholic.  

It often is not a character reference or anything more than that verification.  

To give an example of why this would be needed....

My father is a deacon and sometimes has to travel for work.  In one instance, he was in Paris on business.  Knowing that this trip was coming up, he contacted Notre Dame cathedral and asked them if they had any need for an English-speaking deacon during the time that he was there.  They wrote back to him, very pleased, and said that he could read the gospel at the International mass they would have on that date.  (Deacons are a bit more of a novelty in Europe than here in the states, apparently).  All they requested was a letter from his bishop stating that he was a 'legit' deacon.  

And so, he arrived at Notre Dame cathedral, letter in hand, and was fitted into a cassock and sent to the altar.  No one ever read the letter, but it was important that he was able to get one.  

The monastery simply wants someone from her home parish to vouch for her.  Typically this is the parish priest.  Yes, ideally, he'd ask his secretary to write a generic letter and just sign it if he's too busy to write it himself, but...there you have it.  

I can only speak for myself, in terms of "ethical dilemmas."  I became an academic because I valued the integrity of the ownership of my mind (as opposed, say, to being an attorney, where my mind would be to serve the interests of a client).  So, I would be very reluctant to sign my name to a letter written by someone else.  I believe all of my colleagues think the same way. I don't know if this is an "ethical" dliemma, but I know I feel more comfortable writing my own recommendations.  

Yes but if you agree with everything in the letter - which in this case is simply, 'she is who she says she is, she's Catholic, and she's not an axe murderer', and not a detailed character reference, it shouldn't be cause for hesitation. I think that's all we're trying to clarify here.

For what it's worth, my priest is a busy man also, and one time I needed a simple 'vouch for me' letter of reference - I wrote it myself and he signed it. Some time later I needed a more personal character reference, and at that point he sat down and wrote it himself. And I signed it. Joke!

maximillion

I agree there is a difference between a simple letter of recommendation and a full on academic or professional reference, after all I can walk into my bank and request a letter of recommendation or proof of my bone fides without them knowing if I am an axe murderer......

That said, it is still becoming quite common practice for a full letter of reference to be written, at least in outline, by the person who is the letters subject.

We may not like it folks but it appears to be the way of the world.

And I bet those nuns never knew what a discussion we would end up having when they asked you for that letter of recommendation Silentjoy. :hehe:

TheresaThoma

Honestly writing at least part of the letter of recommendation is becoming very common in the academic field. I think part of this is because the applicant often knows more about the position and what specific things are important to mention.