An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missionaries Of Charity

Lucia

Anyone have any direct experience with the Missionaries of Charity.  I've been thinking about them lately and was wondering if anyone on Phatmass could give me more info on them, like their entrance requirements for example?  It seems to me that there really isnt much information out there on their lives inside the convent, the work yes, but not what it's like to be a missionary of charity--prayer life and so on.  In addition, I've heard that you have to be in perfect health to enter the MCs, is this true?  

Thanks for Any Info!

Lilllabettt

Unless things have changed, they are the strictest community I know of re: health requirements.
Mother Teresa wanted her institute to give the "best" to the poor - to include the most physically capable servants caring for them.

But if you have concerns in this area, the safe thing to do is to contact them directly. Things change.

miserere55

I once spent a summer living and working with the postulants and aspirants of the Missionaries of Charity in the South Bronx.  I was discerning a vocation to their community.  They live a very strict life.  Their vow of poverty is based upon the concept of third world poverty.  If you want to know about this community, then read the book "An Unquenchable Thirst" by Mary Johnson.  This book will give you an inside look into the Missionaries of Charity.  I found it to be quite accurate.

OnlySunshine

Anyone have any direct experience with the Missionaries of Charity.  I've been thinking about them lately and was wondering if anyone on Phatmass could give me more info on them, like their entrance requirements for example?  It seems to me that there really isnt much information out there on their lives inside the convent, the work yes, but not what it's like to be a missionary of charity--prayer life and so on.  In addition, I've heard that you have to be in perfect health to enter the MCs, is this true?  

Thanks for Any Info!

One of the Sisters in the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal was discerning with them for a time before she entered the CFRs.  She told me they are pretty strict about health requirements.  She also told me that the thing that made her sure she wasn't called to the MCs was the fact that they only visit home every 10 years or so.  She said she couldn't live with not seeing her family more often.  I don't blame her.  I think I'd have trouble with that, too. 

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Thanks for your replies thus far.  I didnt know they were so strict on health issues but it also makes sense given the conditions I imagine the sisters have to deal with in some countries where they serve and how strict their vow of poverty is.  Given this info I probably shouldnt look into this community. :unsure: They do seem like a beautiful community.  

I once spent a summer living and working with the postulants and aspirants of the Missionaries of Charity in the South Bronx.  I was discerning a vocation to their community.  They live a very strict life.  Their vow of poverty is based upon the concept of third world poverty.  If you want to know about this community, then read the book "An Unquenchable Thirst" by Mary Johnson.  This book will give you an inside look into the Missionaries of Charity.  I found it to be quite accurate.

Hi Miserere55, 

I've heard of the book but have not read it because I've heard some very mixed reviews of it and thought it might just be an anti-missionaries of charity book given some of the things the author has said including that she no longer believes in God.

I happened to run into the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal yesterday evening.  Are they also as strict about health requirements?

AccountDeleted

I enjoyed this book very much and I could tell that Johnson really loved the MCs, even though she decided to leave. I read another book about the MCs as well, called Hope Endures by Colette Livermore, an Australian former MC sister who is now a doctor. I spent time myself living and working with the MCs in Melbourne and both books pretty much detailed a lot of the things that I observed personally. 

Mother Teresa's life was exceptional and she is the reason I converted to Catholicism in the 70s, but the truth is that the life of an MC sister is physically and psychologically very demanding, especially for Westerners who have been raised in a totally different culture. It isn't simply about being 'tough' or 'enduring' it; it is that, despite their convents now being located in many Western countries, the religious community itself is basically Indian in its cultural attitudes, and these attitudes can sometimes feel almost 'cult-like' to a Westerner - and this can create some pretty intense inner conflicts. Good health prior to entering is really an absolute essential.

I love the the MCs, don't get me wrong, but they really aren't like any Western community. The Carmelites also demonstrate some 'cult-like' attitudes, but because they are basically European in origin, these can somehow seem less alien to a Westerner, and perhaps, in some ways, almost romantic in nature, especially to younger women.

Anyone wishing to pursue a life as an MC nun should spend some time with them as a volunteer and become familiar with their culture. In fact, reading these two books could be a very good way to see some of the attitudes and behaviors of the community from the perspective of Westerners (both who tried very hard to persevere). Reading these books doesn't necessarily mean one has to agree with everything that is written, as each individual is going to react to the same situation in different ways; the authors have merely described their own personal experiences. But both authors do provide a pretty accurate picture of the MC lifestyle itself. If, after reading these books, a woman still feels called to the MCs, then at least she would have been given some degree of fore-knowledge about everyday attitudes and practices.

I don't think we should be afraid to read books by women who have left religious life, because it is a very common thing to happen these days and there is often valuable information given (didn't we all enjoy The Nun's Story, even though she left?). And yes, some former religious do end up going through very difficult times, even to the point of leaving the Church or not believing in God anymore. In most cases, this is probably a perfectly normal reaction to the feelings of failure and/or rejection that can overwhelm a person who entered in all sincerity, expecting it to be for life. When I read books by former sisters or nuns, I feel such compassion for their inner struggles, both during their time in the convent and after they leave. Just reading here on phatmass I have seen so many women go through so much. One phatmasser has even set up a website support group for such women (Leonie's Longing I think it is called). In reading these books though, I ask myself how I would have handled some of the situations these women faced, or even feel comforted when I recognize myself in some situation or another. 'Exiting' religious life is probably one of the hardest things a person will ever do, whether they are asked to leave, or choose to leave, both situations have their own issues. Writing about it can be very cathartic but there is no reason to assume that several years down the track, the author won't have moved on and made peace with their past experiences, and even - hopefully - found their faith again.

So, yes, I highly recommend both these books to anyone interested in a vocation with the MCs.

miserere55

Hi Lucia...........I understand your concerns about the book I suggested, but I really wouldn't suggest you read something by someone who has an axe to grind.  The author really loves the MC's and the things she writes about the practices and prayer life and lifestyle of the MC's is accurate.  Personal experiences, however, would differ from person to person.  Nunsense is right, though, their life is harsh and physically and psychologically demanding.  There is no privacy and relatively no free time.  The food is the food of the poorest of the poor......so a good stomach is necessary.  I love Mother Teresa and the Missionaries of Charity.  I have her statue on my desk and her Feast Day is my birthday!!  I admire and respect any person who enters her Congregation, even if their stay is temporary.  Prayers for your discernment.

Nunsense, thanks for your comments.  You were spot on!!! 

MargaretTeresa

NUNSENSE!!!

I might be staying overnight with some MCs in a few weeks. I can't wait to meet them. I'm always admired what they do. They're some tough cookies! :)

Thanks Phatmassers, maybe I will give the book a read once my enormous reading list gets smaller.  I just wasnt sure whether buying the book was worth it   because I heard some negative things about it and some of the things I read about the author.  I thought it might be a book by someone with an axe to grind.  And just to clarify I am not afraid to read a book by a woman who has left religious life, I dont pass any judgment on that, it seems to me to be only normal for some women to discern that their vocation is not religious life or that their vocation is not to a particular community.  I just wasnt sure about whether this book was by someone with an axe to grind-in which case I didnt think I would like it so why spend money buying it.  

Back to the MC's, I did speak to a volunteer who very much stressed how it was a "third world order" and a VD with another community told me that she knew many americans who had entered and left because they found it very hard to adjust.  In any event, I dont think the lord is guiding me in that direction since I do have a medical issue which would probably bar me from entering with the MCs anyway.-

NUNSENSE!!!

I might be staying overnight with some MCs in a few weeks. I can't wait to meet them. I'm always admired what they do. They're some tough cookies! :)

They seem like such a beautiful community, too bad they are so strict with health issues and only allow home visits every 10 years.  I may see if I can volunteer with them even if thats not where Im meant to be.