An Old School Catholic Message Board

Join A Religious Order That Is Enrolled In The Aca ?

superblue

I wanted some insight on of all things politics mixing in with religion.

I didn't think this would really hit me until I started discerning a religious life and came across a religious order of Franciscans and during the come and see weekend it was brought up that since I do not have health care I would need to sign up for the ACA / obamacare ( which ever ya wana call it ) an I noticed myself getting perturbed .   It is one thing as Catholics to have different political views, but when joining a specific religious order, one is expected to conform the rules established. Now I didn't ask if it were an option with them to not enroll an still be accepted, because the answer would have been no because it is the law, and we have to respect legit authority . At least that is what I would have expected for an answer... Well then I look at the struggles between the Vatican and certain religious orders of nuns/ sisters  that have a standing view point in regards to a bunch of things that do not mesh with the faith in general..

SO what am I getting at...

well for men or women, considering a religious order be it as a priest, sister, nun, etc,  what is one in discernment to do, when running into these issues. Does one accept that is the way that particular order sees things and we accept that view and join, or for those of us who do not agree we accept that we cant not conform to those laws or views which we do not agree with for any reason.

Part of me wants to say well since I am unwilling to enroll in the ACA and if all or most religious orders will or do require that all are signed up in it, then I just simply not meant to go that way as a vocation in life.. Or do I figure it really is not a make or break issue for me as I don't care that much about politics in the long run , and just leave what ever part of that money is being used for who knows what in Gods hands.

I have had to carry out plenty of moronic orders in the Army, but that was different it was either that or go suffer real hard consequences, it is a lot different when one has a real choice. To discern within a discernment. It is the giving to Casear what belongs to him and to God what belongs to God... but then when we are told we have to do something that goes against God and then more over if we want to follow God we will need to go with that same law, I mean is that becoming an oxymoron ?  That is in regards to at the least religious orders...

As for Diocesan Priests they fall under jurisdiction of the Church so I would imagine the Church is still dealing with the parts of the ACA that deal with abortion, while the USCCB are in of general support of it.   Makes me scratch my head its like okay is it possible to really just focus on Christ and let someone worry about the politics because I am not a politician and I am just starting to really embrace who I am as a Christian...    Also if down the road I manage to discern with a religious order, what would be a respectful way to approach this topic in a neutral enough way to find their position on the issue and how the order feels , or to even find out if they qualify for tax exemption on this law ..  It would seem to me that if religious orders are exempt that they would use that exemption for their benefit.. But if their is an exemption an they choose not to use it an in turn also make it known that all in the order must have it..  then I guess I just reread what I wrote.

K im done

any clarification needed just point out where.

Peace

Sister Marie

Hi Superblue,

I'm unsure after reading your post whether they were saying you needed to do this in order to enter their community or if they were just commenting on the fact that you don't have health care and need to get it because you have to have health care.  Regardless, it seems like your question is about 1.)How does obedience work in regards to politics and practical considerations? and 2.) Why can't religious life be free from some of these issues because it is about following Christ?  I'm just going to leave ACA out because it seems like its just an example of some deeper questions and I'm just going to speak from my own experience more than from any documentation.

First, how does obedience work in regards to practical and political considerations?  First, most practical living issues are settled in community.  Community decides what car or health insurance each sister or brother will carry, and, until ACA, that really was not a decision that would have been political - it would have been financial.  Community will also decide what you wear, where your food comes from, how much money you can have, what you can use it for, how you pray in common, and what your daily schedule is like.  In some communities this is very straightforward and decided and doesn't change.  In others, the community talks about it and comes to a consensus.  Either way, I can guarantee you you won't agree with one of the options.  So, what happens when you don't agree?  There are three major possibilities... If it's a moral issue, meaning that going along with it would be a sin according to your conscience, you would need to speak with your superior and work something out from there.  I have never encountered this so I don't think it happens very often  If it is simply a practical point, you have to let it go, do what the community has decided and be at peace with that decision.  There are also issues that one could refer to as "right" or "wrong" which don't carry the weight of moral decisions.  Practicing obedience in these situations is probably carries the most graces because you are able to directly deny your own will for the good of the community and you place the wisdom, needs, and understanding of others above your own.  

Second, why can't religious life be free from some of these issues to just follow Christ?  Religious life is lived both for your own sanctification and for the sanctification of as many others as possible.  We are people who live within a greater community - the world.  Because we live and work and pray for this world we must engage with it to build God's Kingdom of love, justice, and mercy here.  We cannot be ignorant of the needs of our brothers and sisters.  Health care is an issue of Catholic social teaching.  Religious do need to be educated as far as politics are concerned so that they can do their best to support initiatives that build God's Kingdom.  Religious who are engaged in some professional work have to constantly be aware of state laws regarding those works.  I have to be certified in the state in which I'm teaching.  I'm responsible for making sure that I amass a certain number of credits to keep that certification.  I have to know the laws that govern the care of children.  Nurses have to be certified.  They have to follow certain laws about confidentiality.  I have to have car insurance, health insurance.  I have to pay taxes.  I have to have a drivers license.  We are not of the world, but we do live and work in it.  Depending on the type of religious congregation you are considering these things will be dealt with differently but the fact still remains that we can't just go off the grid to follow Christ.

I hope this helps.  Prayers for your discernment. 

Edited by Sister Marie

As for Diocesan Priests they fall under jurisdiction of the Church so I would imagine the Church is still dealing with the parts of the ACA that deal with abortion, while the USCCB are in of general support of it.   Makes me scratch my head its like okay is it possible to really just focus on Christ and let someone worry about the politics because I am not a politician and I am just starting to really embrace who I am as a Christian...  

Diocesan priests would be on a group plan, not an individual plan.  Individual plans have moved to the exchanges and all the ACA requirements are being enforced.  Regulations for group plans were postponed - though some companies have been making changes proactively. 

As an young individual your sphere of influence is limited.  If you need health insurance, then you need it.  You aren't morally culpable for any of the laws that regulate it.  

You are morally culpable for your votes, however.