An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Think It's Time For A Thread...maybe, Possibly?!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

After two years of discernment, I have decided to request reception into the convent. :) It really was a very quick decision by my standards, but one that I am happy with. I am overwhelmed with joy!  :winner:

The real challenge for me is speaking to my Spiritual Director, who is from a Benedictine community I visit monthly. They know I am discerning with these other Sisters, but I feel it may be a bit of a shock to them. Really not sure how they are going to take it. Please pray for them.

And please pray for my Sisters. It is such a blessing to begin my journey with them.

God is good, all the time!

I'm very happy for you!
You and the Sisters have my prayers.
:)
If you are accepted are you planning on entering soon or when you finish study?

Spem in alium

I'm very happy for you!
You and the Sisters have my prayers.
:)
If you are accepted are you planning on entering soon or when you finish study?

Thank you so much! I'm overjoyed!

They're actually wonderfully flexible in that regard. I'm studying until 2016, and I can enter while I'm still studying, which is what I'd like to do. 

I'm thinking sometime next year - it will give me time to sort out other areas of my life first. Plus, I will probably need to talk to my research supervisor about this, just so she knows what's going on - she's not Catholic, but I think she gathers I'm at least interested in nuns.

Wow that's great you can keep studying!
I have to finish my courses before I can enter.
Do you get to stay in Sydney? Does all the formation and all that happen in the convent there?
It's good also that you can enter next year because waiting is hard, at least for me it definitely is!

Spem in alium

Wow that's great you can keep studying!
I have to finish my courses before I can enter.
Do you get to stay in Sydney? Does all the formation and all that happen in the convent there?
It's good also that you can enter next year because waiting is hard, at least for me it definitely is!

Yes, I'm thrilled about that :) I can't be studying while in the novitiate, but during affiliacy and postulancy it is fine. I don't take classes (my work is research-based) so I'm fairly flexible with my time; the only issue I can see is really the research trips I'll need to be taking either this year or next. I really want to see study through to the end, and the Sisters know I'm dedicated and they respect that. My discernment has really made me a much more patient and open person. Though I'd love to be with the Sisters right now, I'm not stressing about the possibility of having to wait a little. It's hard, but just something I need to do.

I get to stay in Sydney, at least for affiliacy, postulancy and novitiate; I'm happy about that as it will mean I'll get to be close to my family during that time. The congregation has just built a new convent in Sydney which I believe is intended for Sisters in formation, so if I am accepted I will likely live there. 

I hope to be able to enter next year. I need to confirm with the Sisters, but it seems like a strong possibility for us. Things are moving fast, and while I'm usually not so comfortable with that it feels really exciting here - which is to me a sign that I am on a good path.

Edited by Spem in alium

Spem in alium

:dance: :dance2: :dance3: :dance4: :dance5: :dance6:

Haha, this was pretty much me all day! :) I'm so eager that I've already written my letter of request - just want to refine it and pray a little more, and then send it off this week!

Spem in alium

YAY! That is exciting, prayers for you as you take this next step!

Thanks so much!

Spem in alium

Much thanks to all.   :heart:

I have decided my request is being mailed this week. Going to bite the bullet. :)