An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ascension Thursday

Perigrina

I suppose it is another symptom of my general curmudgeonliness that I want to celebrate the Feast of the Ascension on a Thursday.  I am not denying that the bishops have a right to transfer it to a Sunday.  But it always used to be on Thursday and I am grouchy and inflexible.  Ask anybody.

Anyhow, if I follow my general pattern of Mass attendance, I will not get Ascension at all, because I normally attend Ordinary Form on weekdays and Extraordinary Form on Sundays.  It looks like the only EF Mass practical for me to attend on Thursday (and thus celebrate Ascension) is an SSPX one.  So that is what I will probably do.

I already discussed this with my SD last year, so I know that he is OK with it.  I just thought I would post about it to shock people.  :troll:

Nihil Obstat

My FSSP priest is not particularly bothered by his parishioners visiting the SSPX too. :secret:

chrysostom

I've heard at one FSSP parish that some SSPX parishoners came in...but just for confession because they were unsure about their SSPX confessions!  :pinch: The pastor was not very amused...

Edited by chrysostom

I've heard at one FSSP parish that some SSPX parishoners came in...but just for confession because they were unsure about their SSPX confessions!  :pinch: The pastor was not very amused...

But really, that is just what they ought to do if they have doubts about the validity of Confession to an SSPX priest.  

I know people whom I respect on both sides of the argument and I have not studied it thoroughly enough to form a conclusion either way, but people should not participate in Sacraments which they doubt, no matter what is objectively true.  I am in the blessed position of having many diocesan-approved options for a trustworthy confessor, so I have never had to work this one out.   

My FSSP priest is not particularly bothered by his parishioners visiting the SSPX too. :secret:

My spiritual director does not like me going there, in general, but makes an exception for the sort of situation I described in the OP.

I used to attend weekday Mass at an SSPX chapel a lot, back when they were in talks with the Vatican.  Not only did it increase my opportunities to attend the EF, it was also a physical expression of my hopes and prayers for the Society to be regularized.  But I stopped, other than rare exceptions, when the talks broke down.

chrysostom

But really, that is just what they ought to do if they have doubts about the validity of Confession to an SSPX priest.  

I know people whom I respect on both sides of the argument and I have not studied it thoroughly enough to form a conclusion either way, but people should not participate in Sacraments which they doubt, no matter what is objectively true.  I am in the blessed position of having many diocesan-approved options for a trustworthy confessor, so I have never had to work this one out.   

I daresay their coming to Confession wasn't the issue but rather their objection to coming to the Masses he was offering, but I really don't know much about the situation.

Edited by chrysostom

I daresay their coming to Confession wasn't the issue but rather their objection to coming to the Masses he was offering, but I really don't know much about the situation.

Yes, that makes sense.

Basilisa Marie

Well, that's what the whole "it's okay for lay people to attend SSPX liturgies" idea is for - for people who are better fed at an EF liturgy but don't have access to a "normal" one (for lack of a better term).  It'd be hard for anyone to make a case that what your doing is wrong, even if they aren't all that sympathetic to the SSPX. 

Well, that's what the whole "it's okay for lay people to attend SSPX liturgies" idea is for - for people who are better fed at an EF liturgy but don't have access to a "normal" one (for lack of a better term).  It'd be hard for anyone to make a case that what your doing is wrong, even if they aren't all that sympathetic to the SSPX. 

We aren't going to be able to get much of a debate going if you have an attitude like that. 

Nihil Obstat

Would we get to debate if I propose that it is generally ok for a layperson to attend an SSPX Mass even with non-Society options available? :| Just wondering.

Would we get to debate if I propose that it is generally ok for a layperson to attend an SSPX Mass even with non-Society options available? :| Just wondering.

Usually with SSPX, it all depends on why people are attending and other surrounding circumstances.  We can't really say it is always wrong or always right.  But there could be a debate if someone would take either of those positions.  

chrysostom

Hypothetically, in my case I would first run it by my SD.  But assuming he OKed it, my conscience would also have to deal with what was being taught from the pulpit.  Now I don't know what SSPX priests typically preach about, but if in this hypothetical SSPX-run church they preached about things such as avoiding diocesan-approved Masses - even perhaps T L Ms - then I do not think I could in good conscience remain during such a sermon and give my implicit approval to those words.  Beyond that, I don't know, but again, I'd run it by my SD.

Edited by chrysostom

Nihil Obstat

The one SSPX Mass I have attended had a really first rate homily. The priest essentially said that continuously attacking and tearing down the pope and the bishops does not help the Church or the traditional movement, and that we have to direct more energies towards prayer and building up, with joy and serenity. I do not come even close to doing it justice, but it was an excellent, vibrant homily. No faithful Catholic could possibly have taken issue with it.

And I went into that Mass on high guard. In hindsight, totally unnecessary. The man up there on the pulpit was a faithful priest and Catholic.

My personal experience with Mass with SSPX priests has been consistently good.  All orthodox and I never heard anything putting down the pope, diocesan structures,etc.  But I've heard that this varies from place to place.  I think a good general principle, if one is considering going,is to discuss it with one's spiritual director or other trusted adviser.

So I started two topics today.  The one I put in debates has everyone agreeing and the one I put in Open Mic has the debate.  I clearly have not quite got the hang of phatmassing yet. :unsure: