An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ascension Thursday

Perigrina

AugustineA

Heh, that's cool. We have quite a few SSPX people at my FSSP parish, and even the staunch diocesans use SSPX material. Their publications are staunch and high quality. There was an interesting homily last Sunday on ultra-trads which I could tell may have bothered a few of the SSPX brothers and sisters sojourning with us. This one family always sits near me, and I kept seeing the daughters and mother look at the father as if expecting him to say something. 

Not a huge deal overall. God is in control of everything, and even the influence of the SSPX has bred traditional groups loyal to the See of Peter which are both experiencing and introducing great vibrance into the Catholic family. We may yet see greater fruit of this situation, at least that's my hope. 

Nihil Obstat

Quite frankly I wish I had more opportunities on a local level to cooperate with those Catholics in my city who attend the SSPX Mass. The very last thing I want is to see them with mistrust or hostility. They get more than enough of that already.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely. Our bishop is known for being 'rather' unwelcoming to traditionalists, FSSP and SSPX alike. If he thought our Fraternity priests were collaborating with the Society in any way, it would probably make life that much more difficult for us.

AugustineA

Really? For some reason I thought of your diocese as being TLM friendly (I can't even believe I said that, like the immortal Mass should become controversial). You have the FSSP and SSPX in a relatively small area. I wonder if the priests ever get together for some friendly competition.. nerf gun fights, water gun fights etc. 

Nihil Obstat

Really? For some reason I thought of your diocese as being Traditional Latin Mass friendly (I can't even believe I said that, like the immortal Mass should become controversial). You have the FSSP and SSPX in a relatively small area. I wonder if the priests ever get together for some friendly competition.. nerf gun fights, water gun fights etc. 

Well, we are well established, and that works in our favour. But in terms of friendliness, no. Apparently it is an extremely difficult apostolate.

AugustineA

Shame. I'll pray a Rosary for Fr. Mcdonell et al. ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam. 

Heh, that's cool. We have quite a few SSPX people at my FSSP parish, and even the staunch diocesans use SSPX material. Their publications are staunch and high quality. 

Yes, I like my Angelus Press Missal better than my Baronius one in terms of layout and there are no problematic SSPX ideas in it.  I also really like their pamphlet "For the Visitor at Mass" which explains the Extraordinary Form for people who are unfamiliar with it.

Cool story: When Fr. Z  (diocesan priest) did a positive review of this pamphlet on his blog, they sent him a thank you note.  http://wdtprs.com/blog/2008/05/follow-up-my-review-of-the-visitor-at-mass-from-angelus-press/

When he posted about this he said:

I may disagree with some foundational arguments used by some members of the SSPX.  I have bones to pick only with those who use overly harsh rhetoric to criticize the Roman Pontiff and other prelates.  Happily they are rare.  Most of the SSPX priests I have met are good fellows, whom I believe would choose clearer unity with Rome like a shot, were they able to perceive that they would be treated fairly…. a real concern, I know.

AugustineA

I've heard that before. One girl described the SSPX missal as an everyday in battle missal. The Baronius press missal is so elegant and delicate. I actually tore a few pages just a few days using it. That's probably not normal for most people, but the woven ribbons are beautiful but hard on the pages, which are very delicate. 

Father Z is awesome. Glad some other people here follow his blog. Imagine if in our ecumenical efforts we were as welcoming to the SSPX as we are to non-Christian/Catholic communities. We could make some commendable headway in the way of mending the rift. Anyways, I have no doubt it will happen. 

Even though my real life experiences of SSPX have been uniformly positive, when it comes to online experiences, I have lost count of the unpleasant people I have encountered who were associated with it.  That is probably an online thing rather than an SSPX thing.  For most groups, their online presence seems dominated by unpleasant vocal types.  

Nihil Obstat

Shame. I'll pray a Rosary for Fr. Mcdonell et al. ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam. 

I know they appreciate it.

my diocese celebrates on Thursday *sticks tongue out*

only I"ll have to go Wednesday because on Thursday I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled out alleluia *sarcasm* :(

only I"ll have to go Wednesday because on Thursday I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled out alleluia *sarcasm* :(

I'll try to remember to pray for you on Thursday.  

AugustineA

Even though my real life experiences of SSPX have been uniformly positive, when it comes to online experiences, I have lost count of the unpleasant people I have encountered who were associated with it.  That is probably an online thing rather than an SSPX thing.  For most groups, their online presence seems dominated by unpleasant vocal types.  

Honestly, I feel like that's the case for non-SSPX Catholics as well. Most Catholics probably do not spend their time frequenting Catholic forums. There are a surprising amount on twitter though.. 

Not The Philosopher

But is not the experience of the anesthetics making your mind float away a kind of ascension in and of itself?

PhuturePriest

It'd be hard for anyone to make a case that what your doing is wrong, even if they aren't all that sympathetic to the SSPX. 

O ye of little faith.

Credo in Deum

Yes, I like my Angelus Press Missal better than my Baronius one in terms of layout and there are no problematic SSPX ideas in it.

My favorite one so far has been the St.Andrews Missal by St. Bonaventure Publications.

http://www.libers.com/sam.htm

The prayers are amazing, the artwork is fantastic, and the narratives for each feast day have been a God send. I like it a lot more than the Baronius one. Yet I still have love for Baronius Press. I finally was able to get their Roman Breviary. It's amazing!

Also my FSSP parish will be having Mass on Thursday!