An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marigold Marigold Marigold!

krissylou

Yes, it was noticed here -- but not publicized -- that during the Pope's recent visit, he met with Orthodox clergy.  I had a feeling something was in the air.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but that is a total irresponsible blog post. What has been proposed - as I understand it - is a joint commemoration of the 1700th anniversary of the First Council of Nicaea, NOT a third ecumenical Council of Nicaea, which the title Nicaea III suggests. Thinking that Catholic-Orthodox unity is just around the corner is more than a little delusional, much though it may be desired...

Wow! I'm so glad other people keep up with the news. I'm very, very excited - and cautious to jump to conclusions like Egeria. My heart is doing a little skipping though :)

Yup it seems like the next day the Vatican spokesman clarified that this is a joint celebration of Nicea, not an ecumenical council.

So that is still a very good thing, but not nearly as big of a deal.

Yup it seems like the next day the Vatican spokesman clarified that this is a joint celebration of Nicea, not an ecumenical council.

So that is still a very good thing, but not nearly as big of a deal.

Ah, sigh. Part of me is so pepped for this, but another part of me wonders how many handshakes and kisses and attendance at one another's liturgies and joint statements and joint celebrations of Nicea it takes to make actual change.

Both sides have long memories, and both sides have skeletons in the closet and dust swept under the rug, but at some point someone's got to be the bigger guy and put himself out there. As my primary school teacher said, 'He who asks, looks silly for a moment. He who never asks, looks silly forever.'

Anyway. Time for my spinach smoothie. :bananarap:

Yuk. :x

That would count as a serious penance, IMHO.

Ah, sigh. Part of me is so pepped for this, but another part of me wonders how many handshakes and kisses and attendance at one another's liturgies and joint statements and joint celebrations of Nicea it takes to make actual change.

Both sides have long memories, and both sides have skeletons in the closet and dust swept under the rug, but at some point someone's got to be the bigger guy and put himself out there. As my primary school teacher said, 'He who asks, looks silly for a moment. He who never asks, looks silly forever.'

I think that worshippers need to play our own part in this process of reconciliation. It won't happen if we just wait for church leaders to do it on their own, because there are so many things that need changing in ourselves and our own attitudes. We can do a lot by just listening to each other and asking questions in a humble way and trying to be respectful of all the insights that we have lost during a millennium of estrangement. I realised this just a few weeks ago, when a Romanian Orthodox friend invited me to visit an Orthodox monastery with her. At one point the nuns were talking about being seated during the liturgy, and one of them said very dismisslvely, "We aren't Catholics, who go to church for entertainment and sit down like it's a concert - we go to worship God!" In fairness to the sister, she didn't know there was a Catholic present, but I was hurt. I do not attend church for entertainment and I don't think I treat it like a concert. I was upset that she could judge us as so shallow all on the basis of our posture when praying. Then, in a split second, I realised that I have stood by and not contradicted it when Catholics have said almost-identical things about Protestants - "Our liturgy is designed to give glory to God, theirs is like a feel-good rock concert!" and so on. I have never said anything like this personally, but I've never contradicted it either, and to be perfectly honest I didn't see anything wrong with saying it. But when such a sneering attitude was directed at me, I realised what a barrier to unity and charity it is, and that I have the ability to do something for reconciliation by taking a more humble approach to other people's worship, instead of immediately thinking the worst of them because their prayers don't conform to my idea of what a respectful liturgy should be. I don't think we should underestimate the difference that we ourselves can make, just by becoming more open to each other.

Mary's Margaret

Since we're speaking of unity, I hope you don't mind that I put this here.  It's a link to a video filmed at a gathering of Evangelical church leaders and includes a video greeting and message on Christian unity from Pope Francis to the gathering.  

www.fireandfusion.info   

Further to this, there will be a conference in Ottawa, Canada in August bringing Christians of different denominations together.  Our Auxiliary Bishop Reisbeck will be one of the speakers.  Please pray for this gathering. This event won't change the world, but it is a step in the right direction...that we may be one.

Cross-posting the ever so slightly anti-climactic reaction to the same news over in Open Mic http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/134268-nicaea-2025/

And, MUCH more interestingly, the current discussions going on in Open Mic about Roman & Eastern Catholicism and Orthodoxy... http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/134257-must-eastern-catholics-accept-ic/ I've learnt so much from it!