An Old School Catholic Message Board

Must Eastern Catholics Accept Ic?

Eliakim

CatholicsAreKewl

*facepalm*

you said your mom is a Maronite. Maronites believe in the Immaculate Conception. Melkites do not.

Maronites used to reject the Immaculate Conception, but after the Latinization, they were forced to accept it.

/repeatsherselffortheeleventyethtime

I asked our local Maronite priest. He also believes in the immaculate conception. My mom wasn't wrong, selah. Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

http://www.stpeterslist.com/7796/6-things-you-should-know-about-the-melkite-catholic-church/

"I believe in everything the Orthodox Church teaches. I am in communion with the Bishop of Rome, in the limits recognized as the first among the Bishops by the holy fathers of the East during the First Millenium, before the seperation" - Archbishop Elias Zoghby

That statement is not without controversy.

http://orthocath.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1997_letter_from_rome_on_zoghby_initiative-11.pdf

I honestly would have thought that you, being an Eastern Catholic, would be a little more aware of what the Eastern Churches taught. Even though Melkite does not equal Byzantine, and you may not be Melkite yourself, I would have thought you would have done at least a little research into the matter. 

you could at least ask for my sources (which include relatively frequent talks with a Ruthenian bishop) before assuming I have none.

I asked our local Maronite priest. He also believes in the immaculate conception. My moms not wrong, selah.

Your mom is a Maronite, not a Melkite.

Not sure if trollburger.

That statement is not without controversy.

http://orthocath.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/1997_letter_from_rome_on_zoghby_initiative-11.pdf

you could at least ask for my sources (which include relatively frequent talks with a Ruthenian bishop) before assuming I have none.

My frustration arises from the fact that many Roman Catholics, especially on Catholic Answers it seems, feels the need to tell the East what to do. That is where I lose my patience.

Do you know why the Maronites believe in the immaculate conception now? Why they accept the filioque? Latinization. Latinization failed, it seems for the Melkites, but it was forced just as much onto them. In fact, there was a story on EWTN once, where group of Latin Catholics tried to "convert" the Maronites. 

My frustration is when people like Eliakim treat the Melkites like they are stupid "maybe they don't know any better." They do. They aren't stupid. They know what they believe. They don't need Rome to hold their hand. 

It upsets me because the East in general just has such a beautiful and rich history, and yet Rome is touted as the end all be all.

My very dear friend is a Melkite, and used to post on this board. He often would talk of what his Church taught. It's no secret. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Your mom is a Maronite, not a Melkite.

Aren't they like the same thing?

Nihil Obstat

http://www.stpeterslist.com/7796/6-things-you-should-know-about-the-melkite-catholic-church/

"I believe in everything the Orthodox Church teaches. I am in communion with the Bishop of Rome, in the limits recognized as the first among the Bishops by the holy fathers of the East during the First Millenium, before the seperation" - Archbishop Elias Zoghby

I have missed seeing this quote at least once a week, ever since Apo left. :hehe:

I have missed seeing this quote at least once a week, ever since Apo left. :hehe:

I'm the more aggressive version of him.

Rawr. Fear my Palamism.

Nihil Obstat

I'm the more aggressive version of him.

Rawr. Fear my Palamism.

More aggressive than Apo? Are we talking about the same person?

rofl

hai i liek ur blog

And Eastern Catholicism/Orthodoxy is such a big subject that I don't know where to start.  I'm already kind of neck deep in learning about this Latin Church that I kind of just joined.

Edited by chrysostom

hai i liek ur blog

And Eastern Catholicism/Orthodoxy is such a big subject that I don't know where to start.  I'm already kind of neck deep in learning about this Latin Church that I kind of just joined.

Goes to Burning Hearts, then. No haz cookies, but haz more than one rites.

Where did Apo go, anyway?

And please, Selah, you'll have to be way more rabid.

Also, I took a nice drive, which lets me think clearer, and I think we could also use a lively discussion on how not using the terminology isn't equivalent to denying a thing altogether.

Oh, and this. I'd totally accept this as a birthday present. Just saying.