An Old School Catholic Message Board

'twas The Night Before Ordination.... To Be Ordained 6-7-2014

AnneLine

Hello, all,

One of the deacons for the Archdiocese of San Francisco, Tony Vallecillo, who will be ordained on Saturday, June 7, 2014 is personal a friend of mine.   I know him from before he ever started discerning his vocation--almost 15 years now!  He has sent out a 'seminary update' email every 6 months or so to all his supporters for the last 8 years... .and tomorrow he will finally have his dream of the priesthood realized.

Deacon Tony sent this final 'update' email out earlier this week ... and i asked his permission to post it here for all of you.

I told him about Phatmass and specifically Vocation Station, and how many of you are also praying for good and strong vocations, and value hearing about the vocation journeys of others.  He said he's fine with me posting it.

I will follow-up with stuff about the ordination and if interested, some articles that have run in our diocesan paper over the years about his seminary journey if there is interest.  

Who knows... perhaps we can lure him onto Phatmass!

So... here is Deacon Tony Vallecillo's letter:

Brothers and Sisters,

Some of you been with me since the beginning when I sent out my first seminary/priesthood formation update back in August of 2005 as I started at Mt. Angel College Seminary in Oregon.  Nine years seemed like a long time but it certainly flew by and this Saturday, June 7th, I will be ordained a Catholic priest by Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone at St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco.  I cannot thank you enough for all your prayers and support over the years.  They have been invaluable and I would not be at this milestone without them.

Some final observations:

1. As the days quickly wind down to the Ordination day it feels surreal to know that it will happen.   You may be wondering what does a man do in those final days?  Well, in my case I am practicing the Mass several times a day making sure I know it!  I am fortunate that I have my own Roman Missal (the liturgical book used on the altar during the Mass which has all the prayers) and have put many post-notes in it so I will know which section to go to.  There is a fair amount of flipping back and forth with this book.  The joke at seminary is that if the new priest misses something essential (such as gulp(!) forgetting part of the consecration prayers and actions during Mass) then that first Mass is not valid.  Almost all the new priests will have someone assisting them at their first Mass to make sure this doesn't happen.  Fortunately for me, Father Michael Hurley, the pastor at St. Dominic's in San Francisco will be the one assisting me.

2. I can finally share details about my first assignment as a priest.  I have been assigned to work as a pastoral associate (meaning I am one of the priests at the parish helping the pastor) at St. Matthew's Church in San Mateo.  It is a large community with eight Masses on weekends (4 in English, 3 in Spanish and 1 in Chinese) and also a large K-8 school.  I am glad I will be able to utilize my Spanish speaking skills gained the last few years.  One unexpected aspect of my assignment is that one day a week I will be the chaplain at nearby Serra High School, an all-male Catholic school.  I am grateful to Archbishop Cordileone for his confidence in giving me this position; it is one with many opportunities.  I begin my new assignment at St. Matthew's Church on July 1st.

3. As I stated in my previous email everyone is invited to the Ordination Mass on Saturday, June 7th @ 10am @ St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco.  In addition to me three other men will be ordained.  An Ordination Mass is truly a beautiful and moving event.

4. The new priests' first Masses are called Thanksgiving Masses.  If you are in the Bay Area you are invited to any of the following Masses which I will be celebrating:

* Sunday, June 8th--St. Dominic's Church in San Francisco. 5:30pm
* Friday, June 13th--St. Raphael's Church in San Rafael. 6pm
* Saturday, June 14th--Holy Name Church in San Francisco. 5pm
* Sunday, June 15th--Holy Name Church in San Francisco. 7:30am, 9:30am, and 11:30am.
* Sunday, June 22st--Nativity Parish in Menlo Park. 9:30am (Please note--this Mass is tentative; I have not obtained final confirmation)
* Wednesday, June 25--St. Dominic's Church in San Francisco for the Young Adults Group. 7:30pm in the Lady Chapel.
* Saturday, June 28th--St. Francis of Assisi Church in East Palo Alto.  6pm in Spanish.
* Sunday, June 29th--St. Francis of Assisi Church in East Palo Alto. 9:30am in Spanish, 11:30am in English.

5. Finally, as stated in my previous update, this time is an exciting time to be a new priest as Pope Francis as stressed being out there in the streets and "smelling like the sheep", bringing the hope of God to people.  I will be doing that in San Mateo.  However, my ultimate goal as a priest is to be a priest who does the Will of God.  I can ask for nothing more.  Though this is my final seminary update I will do my best to send out an update in early 2015 letting everyone know how the first six months of priesthood are going!

Blessings in Christ,
Tony

And... here is a picture in case you like to have a visual!  What makes me think of this????  :pm:  :priest:  :like2:

:blowkiss:   Praying for you, soon-to-be-Father Vallecillo!!!!!

201201184119.jpeg

Edited by AnneLine

BarbTherese

Praise The Lord - and Tony for responding to the Grace of a priestly vocation.  Prayers for his forthcoming journey - and what a great way to begin it, ordained on the Eve of Pentecost Sunday.  :winner:

TheresaThoma

So wonderful! Thank you for sharing, and please let Tony know we are grateful for him allowing his letter to be shared!

Well.  He's Father Tony now.... and I will share more pictures and stuff when I have them to share.

Was a lovely ordination.

He and his brother priests are lighting up the SF Bay area tonight..... they were so happy!

Catherine Therese

How wonderful :)

Congratulations to Father - may his priesthood be most fruitful!! 

I've sent him a link to this thread... he is grateful for all of you praying for him...

I don't expect we will hear much for him between floating SO HIGH right now and busy with Masses of Thanksgiving for the near future...

I'm sure the diocesan paper will run an article and some pictures next Friday... will keep you informed....