An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Going To Portland, Oregon

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

The coast isn't necessarily swimming water either. ;) But that really depends on where you go. There are beaches, and there is sheer, raw, wild beauty.

Isn't California a really big beach place? What's different about the water just above it?

ChristinaTherese

California is, for one thing, further south. The weather is different. The water is different. It's warmer. It's dryer. (Well, the water is still wet. It rains a lot less.) That's not to say that there aren't beaches where you can swim. It's a bit chilly, and I wouldn't swim, but others do. It depends on the time of year. It's just that my favorite part of the Coast is the rocks, the waves, the sheer wild beauty of it all. I'm not sure anything compares. I kind of love everywhere I call home right now. SPU, Seattle, Oregon.... Yep.

Basilisa Marie

Just google image search "oregon coast" and you'll see the difference pretty quickly. You'll be disappointed if you're expecting warm weather and sunshine. :)

Oh! I enjoy airports!

Its quite relaxing once you get all your ducks in a row. Its usually best to get there 2 hours early simply for security lines...which can take shorter or longer periods depending on which airport youre going to. 

But once you get through its pretty smooth sailing. Just take a small hike to the gate your flight will be at that is listed on your ticket! However there is a chance it could be changed so just double check the displays for Departing flights once or twice to make sure. When you find your gate the service desk almost always lists the departing flight on their screen so its hard to miss it.

At this point youll just be waiting a lot. Bring some music, a tablet, smartphone, or whatever to pass time. SOME airports have free Wifi so you can chat with us on PM while you wait. You could also wonder around and look at the shops. The Minneapolis airport has tons of shops! They even have a nail salon! Although I have been to some larger airports that separate their terminals out quite a bit so there are less shops available. But in any case, just bring something to occupy your mind with.

When you get on the flight is when the semi awkward stuff can happen. You could sit next to someone loud, smelly, rude, or mildly portly which can make the limited space more uncomfortable. The worst Ive had to deal with on a flight are screaming babies and a couple who couldnt stop touching eachother. Other than that Ive never had one of those overly talkative people or an overly smelly people sit next to me.

I fly Delta mostly and they give you an option to buy Wifi on the flight which I sometimes do with my tablet. Or else Ill just play games, read, or sleep.

If you have any specific questions let me know! I fly on my own on a very regular basis. I have had to deal with quite a few things the worst being canceled flights due to weather.  I was pretty anxious my first few times but you get the hang of it.

Edited by CrossCuT

PhuturePriest

Oh! I enjoy airports!

Its quite relaxing once you get all your ducks in a row. Its usually best to get there 2 hours early simply for security lines...which can take shorter or longer periods depending on which airport youre going to. 

But once you get through its pretty smooth sailing. Just take a small hike to the gate your flight will be at that is listed on your ticket! However there is a chance it could be changed so just double check the displays for Departing flights once or twice to make sure. When you find your gate the service desk almost always lists the departing flight on their screen so its hard to miss it.

At this point youll just be waiting a lot. Bring some music, a tablet, smartphone, or whatever to pass time. SOME airports have free Wifi so you can chat with us on PM while you wait. You could also wonder around and look at the shops. The Minneapolis airport has tons of shops! They even have a nail salon! Although I have been to some larger airports that separate their terminals out quite a bit so there are less shops available. But in any case, just bring something to occupy your mind with.

When you get on the flight is when the semi awkward stuff can happen. You could sit next to someone loud, smelly, rude, or mildly portly which can make the limited space more uncomfortable. The worst Ive had to deal with on a flight are screaming babies and a couple who couldnt stop touching eachother. Other than that Ive never had one of those overly talkative people or an overly smelly people sit next to me.

I fly Delta mostly and they give you an option to buy Wifi on the flight which I sometimes do with my tablet. Or else Ill just play games, read, or sleep.

If you have any specific questions let me know! I fly on my own on a very regular basis. I have had to deal with quite a few things the worst being canceled flights due to weather.  I was pretty anxious my first few times but you get the hang of it.

Why do you assume I won't be the annoying talkative person on the flight? :P

Oh also, I dont know how much this bothers other people, but airplanes are LOUD. They do a great job and muffling most of it but (in my very recent experience) if you happen to sit LITERALLY in the very back of the plane, its 10000x louder. I had some SERIOUS luck on my side when I remembered I had some ear plugs in my purse. Those saved me that flight. 

Why do you assume I won't be the annoying talkative person on the flight? :P

Haha! I suppose I didnt consider that. I feel bad for all the poor, poor, innocent victims that will be on the flight with you. 

Honestly though, I am sure there are people who love chatting it up. Im not really one of them, but I dont mind talking occasionally with someone next to me. 

Nihil Obstat

Yeah, I really enjoy airports and flying as well. I do not like security or customs, but everything in between is a lot of fun, IMO. There is just something about airports, to me. Something about how everyone there just came from somewhere, or is going somewhere hundreds or thousands of miles away. I get these weird existential moments of clarity in airports. It was even fun when we got bumped off our flight to Rome and had to be rebooked with a different airline entirely. Bad news was we had to do security again, but that was far outweighed by the fact that they upgraded us to economy plus for our trouble. On a flight that long, that was pretty great.

Nihil Obstat

PS, if you plan on being the annoying talkative one, heed the following advice:

Being annoying and talkative is fine, as long as you have the ability to read social cues and know when to shut up. If the guy you are talking to keeps answering your questions as quickly as possible, then picks up his book again and starts reading, do not try to carry on the conversation. He will fantasize about rolling up his book and jamming it down your throat, just like that one particularly rapey scene (among several) in Alien.

ChristinaTherese

Seats over the wing are also no fun. You can't see much, and there is likely a nice big noise maker right outside the window.

Being annoying and talkative is fine, as long as you have the ability to read social cues and know when to shut up. If the guy you are talking to keeps answering your questions as quickly as possible, then picks up his book again and starts reading, do not try to carry on the conversation. He will fantasize about rolling up his book and jamming it down your throat, just like that one particularly rapey scene (among several) in Alien.

Yeah I concur. If the person reciprocates, then go for it! Chat all day long about Harry Potter or shaving your legs. But def know when to stop. Or they might try to toss you out the emergency exit.

Seats over the wing are also no fun. You can't see much, and there is likely a nice big noise maker right outside the window.

I had those seats a few times. I cried.

Whats even worse is the WAY back. I had an engine right outside my window that not only blocked my view but made it incredibly noisy.

PhuturePriest

I was actually just joking. I don't usually initiate conversations, particularly with strangers. To my friends, I talk on and on endlessly. I remember one particular phone call that lasted an hour, and I spoke 50 minutes of it. However, I'm always nervous about stammering in front of strangers, so I don't usually initiate conversations with them or hold them once they've started one with me.

ChristinaTherese

California is, for one thing, further south. The weather is different. The water is different. It's warmer. It's dryer. (Well, the water is still wet. It rains a lot less.) That's not to say that there aren't beaches where you can swim. It's a bit chilly, and I wouldn't swim, but others do. It depends on the time of year. It's just that my favorite part of the Coast is the rocks, the waves, the sheer wild beauty of it all. I'm not sure anything compares. I kind of love everywhere I call home right now. SPU, Seattle, Oregon.... Yep.

RE the bolded part: So, I think I meant more wading and hanging out on the sand. Kites are pretty common. I haven't really seen swimming that I can think of. It mightn't be very wise in that temperature of water. You have to remember that the current runs north to south, so it's coming from very cold places, and the ocean is deep enough that the sun can't heat it up as easily as the air. But wading is really nice. (Goodness, I was doing that in some frigid water in the Puget Sound just yesterday.) It feels like some people swim, but I'd be leery of it myself... I just don't want to get hypothermia.

Credo in Deum

I like to stare out the window during take off and watch the ground get further and further away. I'm afraid of heights so this always freaks me out and makes me feel alive.