An Old School Catholic Message Board

Islam At The Vatican?

HisChildForever

Hopefully there will be peace in the middle east. As for neo-Catholicism (ie neo-conservative) here is one take:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Catholicism

Yes, some trads recognizing the potential for confusion with the term "neoconservative" use the term "neo-Catholic" to the describe the same position.

So, to sum things up:

Neoconservative does not mean neoconservative.

Neoconservative means neo-Catholic.

I hope that is perfectly clear.

In my experience, the sort of person who uses "neoconservative" this way would also refer to Phatmass as neoconservative.  From this perspective, anyone who accepts Vatican II has something very wrong with him.

I'm not sure phatmass would fit the bill since I've only seen it used in reference to congregations/institutes, not to describe an ideology, per se, but who knows. 

I'm not sure phatmass would fit the bill since I've only seen it used in reference to congregations/institutes, not to describe an ideology, per se, but who knows. 

Just out of curiosity, I googled the combination of neoconservative and phatmass and got a hit.  "Well, it's Neocon, but Phatmass has a quite active and vibrant vocations forum. They're very helpful and kind, and many are at least sympathetic to traditionalism and traditionalist vocations."

Edited by Perigrina

HisChildForever

In my experience, the sort of person who uses "neoconservative" this way would also refer to Phatmass as neoconservative.  From this perspective, anyone who accepts Vatican II has something very wrong with him.

Yeah that's the feel I get from the term. That if you aren't "rad trad" you're either a fluffy feel good Catholic or a total liberal Catholic.

Just out of curiosity, I googled the combination of neoconservative and phatmass and got a hit.  "Well, it's Neocon, but Phatmass has a quite active and vibrant vocations forum. They're very helpful and kind, and many are at least sympathetic to traditionalism and traditionalist vocations."

A)  Why are you trying to start an argument when I've been agreeing with you in every post?

B)  As clearly stated in my first response, I have been referring to my experience with the Spanish use of the term so did you actually read my post before you decided to find an issue with it?

HisChildForever

Spectrum1.jpg

I don't agree with some parts of this. I wouldn't put Assisi or the Charismatic Renewal under liberal. Plenty of orthodox Catholics are involved in the charismatic movement no?

HisChildForever

A)  Why are you trying to start an argument when I've been agreeing with you in every post?

B)  As clearly stated in my first response, I have been referring to my experience with the Spanish use of the term so did you actually read my post before you decided to find an issue with it?

Huh, I don't think she's trying to start an argument but probably just running with a thought she had?

The above diagram is probably from a neo-Catholic perspective.

And likely an American perspective as well.

mortify ii

I don't agree with some parts of this. I wouldn't put Assisi or the Charismatic Renewal under liberal. Plenty of orthodox Catholics are involved in the charismatic movement no?

I don't agree with some parts either, it's one person's perspective on the "divide"

The above diagram is probably from a neo-Catholic perspective.

It says it's from harvestingthefruit.com which is Louie Verrecchio's blog.  I think that most people would consider him a traditionalist.

mortify ii

It says it's from harvestingthefruit.com which is Louie Verrecchio's blog.  I think that most people would consider him a traditionalist.

Depends on who you ask, I find some of his positions contradictory

I thought that I was agreeing back with you.  I am sorry if my posts came across as trying to start an argument.  That was not my intent at all.  I was just exploring different ways that people use terms.