An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attending Mass At A Carmel

Perigrina

This is not exactly a vocation question, but I think people here will know the answer.  I recently discovered that there is a Carmel very close to my home.  It is a 15 minute drive.  They have a daily Mass that is open to the public and I would like to attend.  Is there anything I should know?  Is there any special etiquette or anything?

maximillion

No. though it might be useful if you know which form of the Mass they use - all Latin or whatever.......

No. though it might be useful if you know which form of the Mass they use - all Latin or whatever.......

I'm pretty sure it's OF.  I think I would have heard if it were EF.  But I'm familiar and comfortable with both forms.

The nuns sit in a separate part of the chapel, right?

At the Carmel near me, the nuns sit behind a screen, to the side of the main altar. They have auditory and visual access to the Mass. The people sit in the public chapel, with auditory and visual access to the Mass. But the nuns can't see the people and the people can't see the nuns - unless maybe you're sitting at the far left and in the first row or something. At communion, the priest walks over to the screen, distributes communion to the nuns, then comes to the foot of the altar to distribute communion to the people.  

So there's really nothing too different about attending Mass at a Carmel.

Edited by Luigi

I'm pretty sure it's OF.  I think I would have heard if it were EF.  But I'm familiar and comfortable with both forms.

The nuns sit in a separate part of the chapel, right?

Probably.  I would guess that the nuns will be off to the side and you may hear them but won't see them.

So then it's just like you're going to any other Mass.

But I have been to a Carmel (in Europe) where the nuns (at least some of them) come out of the enclosure for Mass.

They didn't get all chatty with any guests afterwards, but they were in the same chapel with everyone else.

Even then it was just like any other Mass, just with these ladies in brown habits in the front row.

The nuns will also likely have been in their choir for at least an hour before mass  for their silent prayer plus lauds etc. Its a good chance to arrive early and get your prayers in too.  Heres a snippet of one Carmels horarium around mass time to give you an idea.

5:30 a.m. Rise 6:00 a.m. Angelus followed by one hour silent prayer 7:00 a.m. Lauds (Morning Prayer of the Breviary) after which Grand Silence ends 7:30 a.m. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass followed by 15 minutes silent Thanksgiving Terce (Midmorning Prayer) 8:45 a.m. Breakfast