An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Traditionalists More Likely To Be Men Than Women?

Perigrina

This question was mentioned in passing in a post a while ago and I have been thinking about it.  Online, I see more male trads than female ones, but I have not noticed this in real life.  What have others noticed?

Has anybody noticed any other correlations between religious practices or preferences and being male or female?.

KnightofChrist

I notice there seems to be more women, at lest slightly, at the parishes I attend the EF.

Also there are no women on the internet, it's a rule or something.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Basilisa Marie

I've noticed that male trads are much more likely to be "evangelical" about trad stuff. What I mean is that they're more likely to go online and tell me how terrible I am for not wearing a chapel veil and that they'll pray for my damned soul because I don't think the political loss of the papal states was that bad of a thing in the long run. :)  Now of course I'm exaggerating (based on my own experiences with a few...vociferous...trad dudes), but in general trad men are more likely to make arguments based on authority and believe they're self-evident. 

Trad women, on the other hand, are much more laid back and tend to lead by example. They're the ones who are most likely to make me want to don the chapel veil and go to a Traditional Liturgy with them, because they look so darn happy about their pretty lace and Latin. I think a lot of it has to do with traditional gender roles being a big part of trad culture, at least from what I've seen. Women seem to be encouraged to be humble, modest, demure, quiet and peaceful imitations of our Blessed Mother, and men are encouraged to be great warrior church militants and great protectors. :) Again, big generalizations, but I've seem common trends in different parts of the country. 

On the other hand, I think women are FAR more involved in social justice-y things. They make up the majority of people on both parish staffs and in volunteer groups. Even groups for devotions, like adoration of the rosary, more women always go to those than men. In any of my theology classes in college and grad school, women outnumbered the men three to one. 

I've noticed that male trads are much more likely to be "evangelical" about trad stuff. What I mean is that they're more likely to go online and tell me how terrible I am for not wearing a chapel veil and that they'll pray for my damned soul because I don't think the political loss of the papal states was that bad of a thing in the long run. :)  Now of course I'm exaggerating (based on my own experiences with a few...vociferous...trad dudes), but in general trad men are more likely to make arguments based on authority and believe they're self-evident. 

Trad women, on the other hand, are much more laid back and tend to lead by example. They're the ones who are most likely to make me want to don the chapel veil and go to a Traditional Liturgy with them, because they look so darn happy about their pretty lace and Latin. I think a lot of it has to do with traditional gender roles being a big part of trad culture, at least from what I've seen. Women seem to be encouraged to be humble, modest, demure, quiet and peaceful imitations of our Blessed Mother, and men are encouraged to be great warrior church militants and great protectors. :) Again, big generalizations, but I've seem common trends in different parts of the country. 

On the other hand, I think women are FAR more involved in social justice-y things. They make up the majority of people on both parish staffs and in volunteer groups. Even groups for devotions, like adoration of the rosary, more women always go to those than men. In any of my theology classes in college and grad school, women outnumbered the men three to one. 

I don't know if that is really typical behaviour for male trads; it may just be that the ones who are like that stand out and leave more of an impression.  (Unfortunately not a good impression.) But yes, I too see it more in men than in women.

I agree that, in my experience, traditional gender roles are a big part of trad culture.  That is an attraction for me because I believe in traditional sex roles.  It is also a problem for me because I am not very good at being humble, demure, quiet and peaceful.

Yes, in general, women seem to be more involved in most Church related things.  A parish where I often go for for weekday Mass (ordinary form) is about equally split between men and women and that seems unusual to me.  

Marie-Therese

That is an attraction for me because I believe in traditional sex roles.  It is also a problem for me because I am not very good at being humble, demure, quiet and peaceful.

We should be friends.

Credo in Deum

Have I told you lately that I....think you're terrible?!   :harhar:  :smile4:

Just kidding.   :buddies:

Nihil Obstat

I have not really counted at my parish, but it does not appear to be skewed one way or the other. Families make up a large proportion, and obviously they tend to be evenly split. Of the young people I know, I would say that it is again more or less even.

PhuturePriest

It is true that there are way more women than men attending Mass, and way more women leading groups. However, many people cite this as a result of the feminization of the Church in recent decades, such as making the Liturgy more about the community, which is a feminine quality since women are generally more communal than men. Which, in turn, could explain why gender ratios at EF parishes are much more balanced than most OF parishes.

It is true that there are way more women than men attending Mass, and way more women leading groups. 

Source?

PhuturePriest

Source?

You really need a source? I thought it was self-evident. Regardless, there is an extensive study by Georgetown, I think, but I can't seem to find it. Studies on women using birth control keep coming up.

Edited by FuturePriest387

You really need a source? I thought it was self-evident. Regardless, there is an extensive study by Georgetown, I think, but I can't seem to find it. Studies on women using birth control keep coming up.

f7dGct6.gif

KnightofChrist

Normally I would go search wide and far for a source of FP's claim. But today I'm too lazy. 

But I do recall hearing of and seeing studies/polls/research/eyewitness accounts that more women than men attend the OF on a weekly basis.

Edited by KnightofChrist

women are just generally more likely to be religious. Because we're soft and gullible and all that ;)

You really need a source? I thought it was self-evident.

It is self-evident.  I've lived in 5 cities in 3 states over the last two years and been to regular daily OF at a large number of parishes.  More women attend the OF daily mass more  than men in every case.

A few considerations before one draws conclusions:

- the women tend to be older.  I wouldn't be surprised if the median age was over 50 or even 60.

- men die younger, leaving fewer men to attend mass in retirement

- men are more likely to work full-time jobs, making mass attendance more difficult

Basilisa Marie

It is true that there are way more women than men attending Mass, and way more women leading groups. However, many people cite this as a result of the feminization of the Church in recent decades, such as making the Liturgy more about the community, which is a feminine quality since women are generally more communal than men. Which, in turn, could explain why gender ratios at EF parishes are much more balanced than most OF parishes.

I like how you framed that in a way that didn't make "feminization" an inherently bad thing.  :hehe2:  The Church IS supposed to be a "she," after all. :) 

I wonder, are there any devotions, outside of mens' groups like KoC, that men outnumber women? I have to wonder if part of it has to do with the fact that any young man who shows the slightest interest in theology is generally ushered toward the priesthood.