An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Traditionalists More Likely To Be Men Than Women?

Perigrina

Marie-Therese, and Perigrina,

Marie-Therese,

You have a beautiful photo by your name with the veneration to the real traditional crucifix with the crucified image of Christ.

I have posted a question here on the forum about running across a website, and their facebook page (www.facebook.com/icksp) with the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest in Gricigliano, Italy, whose secular canons give the Traditional Latin Mass.

Here is the link to my question:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/134374-why-is-there-no-crucifix-at-the-altar-of-icksp/

I notice they have a very, very small cross with Christ's image on it, with a very large statue of the Infant of Prague in the position where the crucifix would be located above the altar, that ICKSP refers to as the Infant King of Prague. I was wondering if you have noticed the disappearance of the traditional crucifix from Catholic church altars? Of course the Infant of Prague deserves it's devotion in the church, however, it seems odd that it has been made the main point of veneration by the secular canons of ICKSP during Mass. They lift the eucharist up to the Infant of Prague, in other church's where I attend, the eucharist is raised to the crucifix, the crucified image of Christ on the cross. I am an old-timer, and believe in the veneration to the crucifix, as we need to be reminded Christ died for our sins, and he suffered on the crucifix.

I am interested in your opinion to my post, as your other post responses have been intelligent. I have not received one direct answer to my question, only indirect remarks, some of them nasty and mean-spirited, especially from one woman, two times, and within the last few minutes.

Again, your photo venerating the crucifix is wonderful.

Thank you, and have a great Trinity Sunday.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in December..

Peregrina, I am also interested in your opinion to my post, and your posts as well have been intelligent.

Thank you.

Paul Davis

shameless self-promotion is an ugly look on you, bro.

Basilisa Marie

Yeah PDavis, I know you're new to the phorum, but take a bit to watch and figure out how things are and aren't done. It's not polite to derail someone's thread. It happens pretty naturally a lot, but to do it intentionally like that is a bit like interrupting someone else's conversation. :) 

Yeah PDavis, I know you're new to the phorum, but take a bit to watch and figure out how things are and aren't done. It's not polite to derail someone's thread. It happens pretty naturally a lot, but to do it intentionally like that is a bit like interrupting someone else's conversation. :)

Do you think you could mention this over on the homosexuality thread? :)

Also, I think that a lot of leeway should be given to someone who says that I am intelligent.  :hehe2:

fides' Jack

We have an all-male schola that sings at our EF Mass.  That is perhaps a combination of a ministry and a devotion. 

I think that 'feminization of the Church' most often refers to a focus on the subjective and emotional as opposed to the objective and intellectual.  Both of these elements are needed in the Church.  I think that the objective and intellectual elements should rule over the subjective and emotional.  (Then again, I think that a wife should obey her husband, so I am somewhat unusual.)  In my experience, this view of the objective and intellectual is fairly standard among trads.

Cool - my brother leads the all-male schola at our local EF parish.  Although, he's in a few different choirs, but I think he said he's quitting a couple of them.  Don't know if one of them is the schola or not...

In my case, when I speak of the feminization of the Church, I'm really more referring to emasculinization of the externals; fluffy teachings, opinions, architecture, music, and dress codes.  Perhaps "feminization" isn't really an accurate term to depict that.  

Oh, feminization isn't a bad thing at all! The Church is the Body of Christ, after all, which includes both men and women. Do I think that in some instances we went too far with the feminization of the Liturgy and are experiencing some consequences as a result? Of course. I think there was perhaps a knee-jerk reaction and they tried to make it more gender-inclusive, but perhaps went a little too far. Either way, seeing as how all my friends are girls, I obviously have no issue with the feminine. :P I just think we should perhaps make it a little less feminine so as to appeal more to men as well. We basically swapped one gender for the other, which is not what the original intentions were.

Did that make any logical sense? I just did the ACTs this morning, so my brain is kind of fried. :P

True feminization isn't a bad thing, as long as it's not at the cost of masculinity.  Both are needed.  But I think you're saying the same thing.

I agree with your statement.

Not a clue. Scores don't come out for 3-6 weeks, because I guess the teachers decided "It's summer, so screw it." I think I did incredibly well on English, but I refuse to speculate. I prayed to God this morning before the test, and I said "Not my will, but yours be done." I left it up to God and did my best, really. There's not much more I can do than that, right? I'm honestly not too worried about it, because if it's horrible I can just retake it, and if I did amesome, then that's fine, too.

Cool!  I always try to say a prayer before I take exams.  It often seems to me that the more unabashedly I pray before a test, the more successful I am.  I try to make the sign of the cross without feeling awkward about it.  I know people around me have seen me do it, but for some reason I'm always at least a little hesitant.  I don't think it's any kind of shame about my beliefs, but just awkwardness about being slightly public with my prayer (public enough that others know I'm doing it).  As a melancholic, it's not natural for me.  Since I'm far beyond the point of actually caring about how I do in my classes, I'm certain that any good grades I get are the direct result of divine intervention.

Back to the topic at hand: Yes, it think it's self-evident that far more women attend Mass than men.  But I don't think that's limited to Catholicism.  I don't have any personal experience with protestant services, but I know I've seen studies about that - women are more inclined to attend services regularly.  

Some might argue with me about this, but I've always believed that women are naturally more holy than men are (which would explain some of the comments here, such as that more women were at the foot of the cross than men, etc...) - despite the fact that more men are recognized as saints.  But I think the difference is exaggerated when much of what men are attracted to most in Christian/Catholic worship is removed (externally speaking, of course).

Edit: modified a split infinitive...

Edited by fides' Jack

truthfinder

I think it's perfectly reasonable to see more women at weekday Masses.  Women are more likely to work part-time and on more 'non-standard' shifts, many more will be stay-at-home moms, and further older women are more likely to outlive men - this all accounts for more women at weekday Masses in either form.  The concern is about the lack of men at Sunday Masses.

PhuturePriest

Cool!  I always try to say a prayer before I take exams.  It often seems to me that the more unabashedly I pray before a test, the more successful I am.  I try to make the sign of the cross without feeling awkward about it.  I know people around me have seen me do it, but for some reason I'm always at least a little hesitant.  I don't think it's any kind of shame about my beliefs, but just awkwardness about being slightly public with my prayer (public enough that others know I'm doing it).  As a melancholic, it's not natural for me.  Since I'm far beyond the point of actually caring about how I do in my classes, I'm certain that any good grades I get are the direct result of divine intervention.

Oh yes. The night before I considered studying more, but I decided praying and going to sleep would be infinitely more help than studying at that point.

But yes, more to the topic at hand. :P

I attend an FSSP parish, and there seems to be a more-or-less even number of men and women at Sunday mass.  There is certainly no lack of women (except around the altar, which is as it should be).

I think males are more likely than females to spend time online debating controversial issues.

In the traditional and more conservative parishes I've been to, there's an even balance of the sexes, and no serious shortage of younger people, as there are in some places.