An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Traditionalists More Likely To Be Men Than Women?

Perigrina

Basilisa Marie

Have I told you lately that I....think you're terrible?!   :harhar:  :smile4:

Just kidding.   :buddies:

Love ya bro.  :buddies2:

:cheers:

Credo in Deum

This question was mentioned in passing in a post a while ago and I have been thinking about it.  Online, I see more male trads than female ones, but I have not noticed this in real life.  What have others noticed?

Has anybody noticed any other correlations between religious practices or preferences and being male or female?.

In my EF parish the women outrank the men in attendance.  Oddly enough I use this realization to keep me focused on the reality of what is happening at Mass, since at the foot of the Cross the women outranked the men there as well.   

I like how you framed that in a way that didn't make "feminization" an inherently bad thing.  :hehe2:  The Church IS supposed to be a "she," after all. :) 

I wonder, are there any devotions, outside of mens' groups like KoC, that men outnumber women? I have to wonder if part of it has to do with the fact that any young man who shows the slightest interest in theology is generally ushered toward the priesthood. 

We have an all-male schola that sings at our EF Mass.  That is perhaps a combination of a ministry and a devotion. 

I think that 'feminization of the Church' most often refers to a focus on the subjective and emotional as opposed to the objective and intellectual.  Both of these elements are needed in the Church.  I think that the objective and intellectual elements should rule over the subjective and emotional.  (Then again, I think that a wife should obey her husband, so I am somewhat unusual.)  In my experience, this view of the objective and intellectual is fairly standard among trads.

Anastasia13

You really need a source? I thought it was self-evident. Regardless, there is an extensive study by Georgetown, I think, but I can't seem to find it. Studies on women using birth control keep coming up.

How did birth control come in there?

Anastasia13

Sex is determined well before this becomes an issue.

In most cases, except a few ahem who remain nameless. BTW, what are you?

PhuturePriest

I like how you framed that in a way that didn't make "feminization" an inherently bad thing.  :hehe2:  The Church IS supposed to be a "she," after all. :) 

I wonder, are there any devotions, outside of mens' groups like KoC, that men outnumber women? I have to wonder if part of it has to do with the fact that any young man who shows the slightest interest in theology is generally ushered toward the priesthood. 

Oh, feminization isn't a bad thing at all! The Church is the Body of Christ, after all, which includes both men and women. Do I think that in some instances we went too far with the feminization of the Liturgy and are experiencing some consequences as a result? Of course. I think there was perhaps a knee-jerk reaction and they tried to make it more gender-inclusive, but perhaps went a little too far. Either way, seeing as how all my friends are girls, I obviously have no issue with the feminine. :P I just think we should perhaps make it a little less feminine so as to appeal more to men as well. We basically swapped one gender for the other, which is not what the original intentions were.

Did that make any logical sense? I just did the ACTs this morning, so my brain is kind of fried. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

Did that make any logical sense? I just did the ACTs this morning, so my brain is kind of fried. :P

I was praying for you and thinking about you all morning. It is good to see that you survived.  Do you have any idea how you did?

PhuturePriest

I was praying for you and thinking about you all morning. It is good to see that you survived.  Do you have any idea how you did?

Not a clue. Scores don't come out for 3-6 weeks, because I guess the teachers decided "It's summer, so screw it." I think I did incredibly well on English, but I refuse to speculate. I prayed to God this morning before the test, and I said "Not my will, but yours be done." I left it up to God and did my best, really. There's not much more I can do than that, right? I'm honestly not too worried about it, because if it's horrible I can just retake it, and if I did awesome, then that's fine, too.

Not The Philosopher

The problem seems more to be that the liturgy is celebrated in a trite and banal fashion, than in an excessively feminine one. It seems kinda difficult to grade these things along gender. Compare a High Latin Mass with a Lifeteen guitar Mass, for instance.

The problem seems more to be that the liturgy is celebrated in a trite and banal fashion, than in an excessively feminine one. It seems kinda difficult to grade these things along gender. Compare a High Latin Mass with a Lifeteen guitar Mass, for instance.

Oh, I've been to both types of Masses, and while the latter leaves more room for error, it is more than possible to do a Lifeteen Mass reverently on a consistent, regular basis.

HisChildForever

Generally speaking, we see more women drawn to the spiritual than men.

When one reads the life of St. Teresa of Avila or St. Thérèse of Lisieux, one is struck by the fact that they constantly refer to their "weakness." The lives of these heroic women — and there are many — teach us that an awareness and acceptance of one's weakness, coupled with a boundless confidence in God's love and power, grant these privileged souls a strength that is so great because it is supernatural. 

Natural strength cannot compete with supernatural strength. This is why Mary, the blessed one, is "strong as an army ready for battle." And yet, she is called "clemens, pia, dulcis Virgo Maria." 

This supernatural strength explains — as mentioned by Dom Prosper Gueranger in "The Liturgical Year" — that the devil fears this humble virgin more than God because her supernatural strength that crushes his head is more humiliating for him than God's strength.

This is why the Evil One is today launching the worst attack on femininity that has ever taken place in the history of the world. For coming closer to the end of time, and knowing that his final defeat is coming, he redoubles his efforts to attack his one great enemy: the woman. It says in Genesis 3:15: "I will put enmity between you and the woman." The final victory is hers, as seen in the woman crowned with the sun. 

--Alice Von Hildebrand

PhuturePriest

Generally speaking, we see more women drawn to the spiritual than men.

Saint John Paul the Great wrote about this once, I believe. He praised women highly for being more naturally faithful.

Marie-Therese, and Perigrina,

Marie-Therese,

You have a beautiful photo by your name with the veneration to the real traditional crucifix with the crucified image of Christ.

I have posted a question here on the forum about running across a website, and their facebook page (www.facebook.com/icksp) with the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest in Gricigliano, Italy, whose secular canons give the Traditional Latin Mass. 

Here is the link to my question:

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/134374-why-is-there-no-crucifix-at-the-altar-of-icksp/

I notice they have a very, very small cross with Christ's image on it, with a very large statue of the Infant of Prague in the position where the crucifix would be located above the altar, that ICKSP refers to as the Infant King of Prague.  I was wondering if you have noticed the disappearance of the traditional crucifix from Catholic church altars?  Of course the Infant of Prague deserves it's devotion in the church, however, it seems odd that it has been made the main point of veneration by the secular canons of ICKSP during Mass. They lift the eucharist up to the Infant of Prague, in other church's where I attend, the eucharist is raised to the crucifix, the crucified image of Christ on the cross.  I am an old-timer, and believe in the veneration to the crucifix, as we need to be reminded Christ died for our sins, and he suffered on the crucifix.

I am interested in your opinion to my post, as your other post responses have been intelligent. I have not received one direct answer to my question, only indirect remarks, some of them nasty and mean-spirited, especially from one woman, two times, and within the last few minutes.

Again, your photo venerating the crucifix is wonderful.

Thank you, and have a great Trinity Sunday.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in December..

Peregrina, I am also interested in your opinion to my post, and your posts as well have been intelligent.

Thank you.

Paul Davis

ithinkjesusiscool

Trad women, on the other hand, are much more laid back and tend to lead by example.

Think of St Francis and St Clare...There is a difference.