An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Book On Homosexual Behaviour

Perigrina

Thats not the point

Let us say that you are a tailor and a KKK member wants to hire you to sew his robe for him.  Let us also imagine that you find this organization morally reprehensible.  Do you have a right to refuse him service? 

I was looking at the Amazon page for Making Gay Okay: How Rationalizing Homosexual Behavior is Changing Everything by Robert R. Reilly: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Gay-Okay-Rationalizing-Homosexual/dp/1586178334/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=whatdoesthepr-20&linkCode=w00&creativeASIN=1586178334

It looks like an interesting book.  I think I should buy it quickly before it becomes illegal.  

I liked this review:

Why are Americans being forced to consider homosexual acts as morally acceptable? Why has the US Supreme Court accepted the validity of same-sex "marriage", which, until a decade ago, was unheard of in the history of Western or any other civilization? Where has the "gay rights" movement come from, and how has it so easily conquered America?

The answers are in the dynamics of the rationalization of sexual misbehavior. The power of rationalization the means by which one mentally transforms wrong into right drives the gay rights movement, gives it its revolutionary character, and makes its advocates indefatigable. The homosexual cause moved naturally from a plea for tolerance to cultural conquest because the security of its rationalization requires universal acceptance. In other words, we all must say that the bad is good.

At stake in the rationalization of homosexual behavior is the notion that human beings are ordered to a purpose that is given by their Nature. The understanding that things have an in-built purpose is being replaced by the idea that everything is subject to man's will and power, which is considered to be without limits. This is what the debate over homosexuality is really about the Nature of reality itself.

The outcome of this dispute will have consequences that reach far beyond the issue at hand. Already America's major institutions have been transformed its courts, its schools, its military, its civic institutions, and even its diplomacy. The further institutionalization of homosexuality will mean the triumph of force over reason, thus undermining the very foundations of the American Republic.

"Robert Reilly shows that to go with the flow of the homosexual movement is to go against nature, science, children, marriage, the family and the common good; in fact to go against common sense. This movement is now the leader of a long-term pack working to undermine society, a process designed to bring chaos (see Gramschi) and dictatorship before freedom is enjoyed again. The time and the means to oppose are both narrowing. If this book does not move you to action nothing will."
-- Patrick F. Fagan, PhD, Senior Fellow, Family Research Council

Save your money and read something from the American Family Association or Focus on the Famly. They probably spew the same stuff for free. Same old. This snippet shows that some religious people, who claim to know the answers, still don't understand much of anything. LGBT issues advanced after the general public moved on from the church. Church going is declining, even in the US. If you read this guy he seems to think its all about the homosexuals. He missed the ball, and probably always will. 

Let us say that you are a tailor and a KKK member wants to hire you to sew his robe for him.  Let us also imagine that you find this organization morally reprehensible.  Do you have a right to refuse him service? 

See the thing is, homosexuals are not a hate group with a history of murdering black ppl soo....yeah. 

Camparing homosexuals to the KKK is ridiculous and youre smarter than that.

This thread is already incredibly stupid and it's only page 1... What's the over/under on this thing getting past 10 pages?

Having read some of the actual text in question, much of it is boring and pedantic, but there is some interesting stuff about the post-modern world's continued rejection of teleology that actually gets to the heart of the matter. Of course, the book does not address the far more interesting topic of what else you get to throw out with the bathwater besides the baby. The loss of teleology goes much further than sexual ethics.

See the thing is, homosexuals are not a hate group with a history of murdering black ppl soo....yeah. 

Camparing homosexuals to the KKK is ridiculous and youre smarter than that.

Sewing for the KKK and baking for a same sex wedding are both situations in which I would consider myself complicit in the the sins of others and bound in conscience to refuse.  Apparently you do not have a problem with me following my conscience when it agrees with yours, but you want the government forcing me to act against my conscience when you disagree with it. I thought you believed in religious freedom.  

Sewing for the KKK and baking for a same sex wedding are both situations in which I would consider myself complicit in the the sins of others and bound in conscience to refuse.  Apparently you do not have a problem with me following my conscience when it agrees with yours, but you want the government forcing me to act against my conscience when you disagree with it. I thought you believed in religious freedom.  

oy

Having read some of the actual text in question, much of it is boring and pedantic, but there is some interesting stuff about the post-modern world's continued rejection of teleology that actually gets to the heart of the matter. Of course, the book does not address the far more interesting topic of what else you get to throw out with the bathwater besides the baby. The loss of teleology goes much further than sexual ethics.

Yes, I got the impression from the reviews I read that it tended toward the pedantic, but that is part of its appeal to me.  I am rather fed up with how emotional and sensationalized anything to do with this topic has become.  I look forward to something dry and academic.  I think the loss of teleology is a very important topic even when the treatment of the subject is limited in scope.  There may even be some advantages to such limits.

An interesting feature of the Amazon reviews was that there were many 4 and 5 star ratings from people who had read the book, while 1 and 2 star ratings came from people who had not read the book.  Apparently some people just know that a book which takes the position that homosexual behaviour is wrong has to be a horrible book.

Save your money and read something from the American Family Association or Focus on the Famly. They probably spew the same stuff for free. Same old. This snippet shows that some religious people, who claim to know the answers, still don't understand much of anything. LGBT issues advanced after the general public moved on from the church. Church going is declining, even in the US. If you read this guy he seems to think its all about the homosexuals. He missed the ball, and probably always will. 

I do not see how you got the idea from what I posted that the author claims that the homosexualist movement is responsible for a decline in Church attendance.  Could you explain your reasoning please?

Does it go into their dietary habits? I've always been curious about that area of homosexual behavior. I read a book by a person who lived among a group of homosexuals for several years, eventually was accepted as one of them, and invited into their curious rituals. 

Many people do not know this, but a group of male homosexuals is referred to as a "flounce".

Edited by Winchester

Homosexuals eat the same things as anyone else.  It is just arranged more artistically on the plate.

Furthermore I choose to follow God's will every day.  I have free will and am responsible for my actions. 

This is a really important point.  So much of the homosexualist rhetoric apparently assumes that people with SSA must act on their sexual attractions and that is a wrong assumption.  All people, regardless of who or what they are attracted to, must decide how to act based on God's will.

Church teaching calls everybody to chastity.  It does not single out people with SSA.  I am primarily heterosexual in my sexual attractions and I do not get to do whatever I want.