An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Heels Immodest?

the171

Credo in Deum

No, I'm being quite serious. I know I have a tendency to be quite conservative, and it's true in the sacred sphere and where God's rights are concerned I fully and emphatically believe we need utmost reverence and respect to our ancestors, in the secular sphere and our daily interactions, I'm somewhat more open minded I guess you could say. I'm not saying I'm right, in fact I'm probably revealing a bit of my weakness here, but if on a night out to the City and the situation calls for it, I would prefer the person I'm with to wear something more stimulating albeit still classy than walking around like a prude. Sorry, but I'm not from Nebraska! And yes, I think men are desensitized because of all that we have been exposed to. Seeing an attractive leg might make me take a double look, maybe even stir the passions for a moment, but it wont break my chastity (it takes a lot more to do that!) No as for our counterparts in Saudi who do not even see the face of women or regularly engage with the opposite sex, I would image even the hint of a well shaped ankle might lead them down the dark path! So yes, at times I am a bit more open to stretching the laws outside of the sacred sphere, and that's a very human thing to do, and not saying I'm right. And no, the sight of a calf is not too sumptuous for a man unless you're from a really conservative place like Saudi Arabia or Nebraska. 

I find this to be a very interesting response.  At what point does the human person go from the sacred sphere to the secular sphere?  When are God's rights of no concern? Furthermore do you think because you're "desensitized" that this lets you speak for all men?  Also do you view this type of desensitization as a sign of "progress" for men and society?

OP:  It depends on the heels and the rest of the outfit. 

I find this to be a very interesting response.  At what point does the human person go from the sacred sphere to the secular sphere?  When are God's rights of no concern? Furthermore do you think because you're "desensitized" that this lets you speak for all men?  Also do you view this type of desensitization as a sign of "progress" for men and society?

Yes, space and time are heterogeneous, where the Sacred is present and when Sacred past acts of God are made present can not be equated to our ordinary or profane time and space. So when we enter through the portal of a Church we are entering into a different world, where the barrier between heaven and earth becomes very thin and at times non-existent. In our desacralized Western world where we basically have lost any sense of the Sacred, this seems very bizarre, and the fact that most Churches no longer have signs and symbols to aid the elevation of the mind and heart towards these heavenly matters only makes understanding and believing this all the more difficult. So in the confines of Sacred space, Sacred time, and Sacred ritual it behooves men and women to act as if they are in the literal presence of God. When the theophany of the burning bush had occurred Moses was ordered to remove his shoes for he as entering sacred space, and the same order was made when the Archangel Michael made himself present to Joshua. There is a certain act, behavior, and decorum that is absolutely required in the real presence of God that is different from the ordinary spiritual presence of our every day lives. Sure, some advanced souls are able to live in this presence all the time, but for most of us doing so would drive us mad. Furthermore, just because there is a Sacred and profane sphere it does not mean that not right action binds us in the profane. I'm not saying my position is right, in fact it is probably more akin to a revelation on my own weakness than anything else. As for whether I speak on behalf of all men in terms of desensitization, the answer is of course not. 

Credo in Deum

Yes, space and time are heterogeneous, where the Sacred is present and when Sacred past acts of God are made present can not be equated to our ordinary or profane time and space. So when we enter through the portal of a Church we are entering into a different world, where the barrier between heaven and earth becomes very thin and at times non-existent. In our desacralized Western world where we basically have lost any sense of the Sacred, this seems very bizarre, and the fact that most Churches no longer have signs and symbols to aid the elevation of the mind and heart towards these heavenly matters only makes understanding and believing this all the more difficult. So in the confines of Sacred space, Sacred time, and Sacred ritual it behooves men and women to act as if they are in the literal presence of God. When the theophany of the burning bush had occurred Moses was ordered to remove his shoes for he as entering sacred space, and the same order was made when the Archangel Michael made himself present to Joshua. There is a certain act, behavior, and decorum that is absolutely required in the real presence of God that is different from the ordinary spiritual presence of our every day lives. Sure, some advanced souls are able to live in this presence all the time, but for most of us doing so would drive us mad. Furthermore, just because there is a Sacred and profane sphere it does not mean that not right action binds us in the profane. I'm not saying my position is right, in fact it is probably more akin to a revelation on my own weakness than anything else. As for whether I speak on behalf of all men in terms of desensitization, the answer is of course not. 

Thank you for the clarification.  While I understand the position of how one should act when in Church as opposed to outside of Church -and that there is a bit of wiggle room- I do not believe the wiggle room is as big as what society claims is fashionable.  For Baptized Catholic's I always held the belief that we are always present in the sacred sphere by virtue of our Baptism.   As Saint Paul states: "Or know you not, that your members are the temple of the Holy Ghost, who is in you, whom you have from God; and you are not your own ? For you are bought with a great price. Glorify and bear God in your body." --1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Anyway I'm glad to hear you do not speak for all men, including those who live in Nebraska or Saudi Arabia. 

For me, and my surgically reconstructed ankle, heels aren't immodest, they're dangerous.

For me, they are painful.

KnightofChrist

Most of the women I've known to wear heels always complain about their feet or legs hurting. Which begs the question, why wear something that's just for fashion if it hurts? Doesn't make sense.

Most of the women I've known to wear heels always complain about their feet or legs hurting. Which begs the question, why wear something that's just for fashion if it hurts? Doesn't make sense.

That is what I think and that is why I do not wear high heels.   However, I must concede that stiletto heels make a good stealth weapon.

sometimes I just like to set fires and watch them burn.

I thought the internet name for that was "trolling".

Nihil Obstat

I thought the internet name for that was "trolling".

That is literally the definition of trolling. And not the "lololol i troll u" funny meme stuff, but rather the "we should start a flame war and try to ruin this community for everyone" sort.

I do not understand why Benedict Cumberbatch is supposed to be so attractive.

I think it was one of God's whims.