An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do I Address A Bishop If I Meet One?

chrysostom

One person told me to say "your excellency" or simply "bishop" or "Bishop so-and-so" (Bishop lastname or Bishop firstname?).  For those of you who have experience in this sort of thing, what has been the norm?  And does anyone, anywhere, kiss the ring?

Not particularly worried, just curious.

Edited by chrysostom

Spem in alium

My diocese's bishop (now retired), is simply called "Bishop" or "Bishop (first name/surname)". "Your Excellency" is fine to use, though I never heard anyone address my bishop as that. I never saw anyone kiss his ring, either. 

Nihil Obstat

Bishop [lastname] is most common right now. "Your excellency" and "your grace" are more formal.

Credo in Deum

Bishop [lastname] or "your excellency". When greeting your own Bishop you would want to kneel on your left knee and kiss his ring out of respect for his office. If you cannot kneel then you can bow and kiss his ring. You would also bow if the Bishop is not your Bishop. You would also do these when leaving the Bishop's presence.

truthfinder

Your grace is typically for Britain, but also used in some dioceses of Canada; I don't think it is of common usage in the US.

bernadette d

Your grace is typically for Britain, but also used in some dioceses of Canada; I don't think it is of common usage in the US.

In England "Your grace" is for Archbishop and "My lord" is usual for Bishop. Fewer and fewer Bishops, it seems to me, want you to kiss the ring and even make it difficult for one to do so.

AccountDeleted

In England "Your grace" is for Archbishop and "My lord" is usual for Bishop. Fewer and fewer Bishops, it seems to me, want you to kiss the ring and even make it difficult for one to do so.

At one convent where I was, the Prioress was speaking to the Bishop on the phone and she addressed him as 'Your Lordship'. She laughed when she told me he responded by saying, "Yes, your Ladyship?" After that she just called him Bishop and he seemed happier with that! :)

it depends on the bishop. some really prefer to be called Excellency, and expect you to kiss their ring. others would find that very weird, and prefer a handshake and being called 'bishop lastname' or sometimes even 'bishop firstname'. ive met a few and come across both types. personally I err on more formal than less formal unil you can gauge which one they prefer. there used to be indulgence available for kissing the bishop ring. not sure if there still is??

Edited by oremus1

Not that I am aware of. That's more of a title reserved for Priests. Though, I doubt a Bishop with any humility would correct you.

so how come as catholics we do not slobber all over a priests ring and bow or curtsy or call the priest some other fancy title to honor his role as priest.

But gimme some time as I am still flipping through my bible and catechism to find out where and why it is right and more over expected to go above and beyond a normal greeting. 

Nihil Obstat

so how come as catholics we do not slobber all over a priests ring and bow or curtsy or call the priest some other fancy title to honor his role as priest.

But gimme some time as I am still flipping through my bible and catechism to find out where and why it is right and more over expected to go above and beyond a normal greeting. 

In days gone by it was customary to bow and kiss a priest's hand. And we still call him "father", so........ y'know... Y u gotta be liek dat?

Is it not appropriate to honour those who have authority over us?