An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling Oneself Catholic While Rejecting Church Teaching

Perigrina

According to Catholic teaching Catholics must accept Catholic teaching. But the people who reject Catholic teaching reject the teaching about accepting Catholic teaching. Finding more evidence that Catholic teaching says that Catholics must accept Catholic teaching is not really going to do anything. (However, I may have invented a good tongue twister. Try saying it three times fast.)

And it does not get me any closer to understanding why these people want to identify as Catholic.

Catholic theology and philosophy is very robust and pretty understanding of human nature. Check out Forming a Moral Conscience in the Catechism, especially 1800. Moral choices aren't always understood in clear black and white terms. Sometimes, but not always. It's not easy, and we all have different perceptions and understanding.
Unfortunately, we tend to take disagreement too seriously and respond as if is an attack. Discussion turns into debate, then argument, then a fight, then to personal dislike. My opinion anyway.

Occasionally being right is my super power that is always unappreciated.

You would have been better off with finding bathrooms.

You would have been better off with finding bathrooms.

Yes. At least that superpower is more readily recognized when in effect.

Credo in Deum

Unfortunately, we tend to take disagreement too seriously and respond as if is an attack. Discussion turns into debate, then argument, then a fight, then to personal dislike....

....then a gif!

haters.gif

According to Catholic teaching Catholics must accept Catholic teaching.  But the people who reject Catholic teaching reject the teaching about accepting Catholic teaching.  Finding more evidence that Catholic teaching says that Catholics must accept Catholic teaching is not really going to do anything. (However, I may have invented a good tongue twister.  Try saying it three times fast.)

And it does not get me any closer to understanding why these people want to identify as Catholic.

I tried to explain my point of view some pages ago, perhaps you missed it (or deemed it unworthy of response, which is totally fine by me).

AccountDeleted

She's been talking down to you, veiling it behind fake niceties it seems in all her post to you. What a wonder lesson in charity.

rak9.jpg

AccountDeleted

You know I love a good zing as much as the next person. I think when we are zinged we should all take it like men. No need to take things so seriously.

But -  it might not be real effective to go on about loving kindness the same time we are dishing out zings. Too much irony. Causes gas attacks and traffic collisions.

Although perhaps folks can't help it they are just zing machines. That was a superpower I wished for in first grade, that and the power to eat without ever getting full. 

sword_called_kindness.jpg

Fidei Defensor

I tried to explain my point of view some pages ago, perhaps you missed it (or deemed it unworthy of response, which is totally fine by me).

There is a logical disconnect, though. How can you believe that the Church has the authority to define tenants of faith but then deny she used this authority properly when it comes to the Assumption? It defeats the reasoning behind why the Church has the authority in the first place?

I did miss it.  I'm sorry.  It is very worthy of response - thoughtful and well-constructed.  It is almost my bedtime now so I will have to reply later.

Anastasia13

Maybe there are two definitions of Catholic depending on who uses it and both have some truth to them: a true religious Catholic and the identity is strongly formed by Catholicism but who [does not] truly participate the faith Catholic

nope.  appropriation is wrong.

If one changes countries and even citizenship, their allegiance may change, but I have heard that it is overseas that we most feel most American. Even if one begins to call a new country home, their roots from America may define something of who they are from where they come from, their upbringing, their views, etc that were shaped by the experience of being an American before and introduced to American ways as a youth. I've met or observed many immigrants who, while American, also identified with their root culture/country/people.

In some Latino groups (or families of individuals I met over time), you can range from very Catholic to very nothing as is the case in some Orthodox groups, but the only real religious connection or identity that they may have in terms of education, beliefs, traditions, stories told, symbols they are at least a small bit familiar with, maybe even that their world view is influenced by, etc. While it is not properly technically, theologically correct to say they are Catholic, similarly, to say that none of this has any part in describing them is wrong because it does not reflect their experiences, traditions, beliefs, etc. This may be a shorthand way of describing something that shapes who they are and something of what they do believe. It gives some idea that the person's background.

The ministry challenge then is teaching them what that really means and helping them live it out properly. Talking about why go to Mass and inviting them, yes there is hope for non-Catholics but that hope is stronger with the help of membership and participation in the Church, etc.

You're posts say otherwise, since no one here is claiming to understand every doctrine of the Church or claiming to be perfect practitioners of them.  Those who have taken an orthodox stance have claimed they believe everything the Church teaches and that Catholics are called to do this.

"“If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave.”--Archbishop Fulton J Sheen.

Again thank you so much for being the authority of what I do and do not mean it clarifies my life so so much, and of course no one here is claiming to understand everything, you are so right my mistake I was just so overwhelmed with the abundance of cannon lawyers, and theological degrees of knowledge being flaunted on here as the full authority on being able to with certainty be able to confirm or deny who really is a catholic. I still think the Church needs to gather yall up and give ya some kind of badge for being able to so perfectly figure all of this out INCLUDING what I do or do not understand lol and am thinking or actually meaning !

man I am so so so greatful thank you soooooooooooooooooo much,

:bravo:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other [mod] unfortunate gentleman - BG[/mod] die for his.

George S.Patton

( aww I am special I found a quote so everyone knows I made an intellectual point look at me look at me) :rabbit: 

Personally, I find it very interesting how offensive it is to take the Catholic stand.  I missed about 10 pages here (over the last 24 hours... ), but from what I see those who don't agree see it as hypocritical and fake righteousness.  

Nobody here is proclaiming themselves any sort of authority.

I don't understand why that offends people so much.

It isn't offensive to take a Catholic stand, but it is hypocritical and fake righteousness to sit in an armchair and start judging people and labeling them as if they really know a person, and do so by quoting anything and everything under the sun, that is just here with the enlightened ones judging other Catholics, but for some reason I just don't see them running to the streets to let all the other religions know of their vast quoting abilities and slapping labels on them on why they are really wrong for being in the religion they are in.

Just seems if they were that concerned they would wana lump all the non catholics in with the poor misguided catholics and try to educated everyone at the same time to their level of holiness so they can be first in line to get what ever award there is for doing so.,

Nice profile pic. Are you a Opus Dei candidate, numerary or supernumerary by any chance?

Fidei Defensor

Nice profile pic. Are you a Opus Dei candidate, numerary or supernumerary by any chance?

I am not. Maybe some day!