An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time For The Summer Reading Thing, 2014!

AnneLine

Actually, Corban, it's your lucky day!  Because of the illness and death of my Mother-in-Law and the illness of Tigger60's husband, we extended the contest THROUGH NOVEMBER 22!!!  So those will count, and YES, you can still read some more!!!!

And good for you for reading & reporting in EVEN IF they wouldn't have counted!

It IS my lucky day!  I am glad to know my reading will still count.  Now I won't look like such a terrible slacker   :)  I can't however say that without expressing to you my very heartfelt prayers and sorrow over the loss of your Mother-in-Law.  Her, your husband, and your family are all in my prayers! 

And the same goes to Tigger60 and her husband.  I will be keeping them in prayers as well. 

My goodness!  I disappear for a little while and I miss so much! 

Thank you, Corbin!   :heart:  that was very fine of you to say that.   If you look through this thread, and through the Prayer Room and BG's Random threads (you may have to dig down Lameboard and/or the Prayer Room for those) you will see she had been VERY ill with Cancer for many years, so it wasn't an unexpected death... but no one is ever ready.   The miracle was that we were able to get her a priest at the end of her life -- MANY phatmassers' prayers helped with this! -- and she died a very peaceful death at a time when the family were ready for her to leave.  It was truly a gift of God, St. Joseph, and many, many prayers.

Tigger60's husband had a seriously injured ankle which required 3 surgeries... and almost 3 weeks in hospital.  She spent most of them in my guest room, as they are from a city about 50 miles from me, and had not anticipated they would be here when he had his emergency admit to the hospital!  But he is doing well!  as is she!  

And some close friends of mine also had some major health challenges, and my time was spent with them as well!  Again, things seem to be looking better, and we are grateful for prayer support!  

All in all, it was a wild fall, and one I SINCERELY hope we don't repeat!!!!

and THAT will teach you to stay away from Phatmass for a longish time ;)

Time for both you and Tigger 60 to start reading again.... SLACKERS!   ;) :P

Same for all of us.  

Back to reading, and that is an order!!!!

read.gif?w=460&h=200

Edited by AnneLine

CountrySteve21

I started reading Sacred Reading  michael casey and the book of Daniel for Lectio

On another note, could anyone recommend a good fiction please?

Pax

Spem in alium

Currently reading:

Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father, which is really an amazing book.

The Way to Christ: Spiritual Exercises, by Pope John Paul II. Also liking this.

More books for this week... 

Into the Dark Prince: The Shadow Prince --496 (did I already count this?) 

Pills and Starships -- 256 

When My Name was Keoke --  213 

Drowned -- 379

So yeah those are my books... :bible: 

For one hour, those are the books of the Reader CarterMia..... Engage!"

In case you don't get the reference.....

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6R3MiAv9ac[/media]

Of course... sometimes things don't 'engage' the way one anticipates....

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVJlw0bcLs[/media]

AnneLine, 

Thank you for all those updates!  Hopefully I won't be away so long as to always need those updates, but no guarantees unfortunately!   I join you in your hopes that we don't experience another season quite like that one though!  But I also have to say that it was quite beautiful for me to read those updates and see how even in the midst of all those trials and in all those sufferings, God was with you in each of those trials, blessing you with His Love and Mercy.

That there was a peaceful death and that a priest was able to come...That Tigger and her husband are doing well and that you unexpectedly got to share that time together, etc.  God is so good to take care of you and your family in that way!  And I hope and pray that doesn't come off as belittling any of those sufferings or trials that you had to undergo.  I know all those situations were very painful and difficult.  But still, our Lord was clearly at work there and with you in each situation which is awesome.  And I will be happy to continue to pray for healing in all those situations   :)

Now back to reading....I read "Like a Dove In the Cleft of the Rock" by Matthew Manint.  89 pgs.

I am working on 2 books right now, one I have been working on for a while and I am really hoping to finish by the 22nd.  The other I have no chance at completing by then.  Lol.

~"Calls" From the Message of Fatima by Sr. Lucia  (this is the one I hope to finish and that seems possible)

~The Collected Works of Teresa of Avila Vol. 1

Corbin711, I want to thank you very much for the beautiful note.  It literally made my night last evening.

It's hard to believe that "C" died nearly 2 months ago, and that Mr. Tigger was so seriously ill just a month ago.  In one sense both seem an eternity ago, and in another sense, like they happened yesterday.  Time is a weird thing.

Actually, what has been going on with my MIL, C, started over two years ago.  One month she was fine; before 3 more months went by she had about 3 surgeries and had nearly died several times.  No one thought she would make it 6 months... much less two additional years.   When she was first ill, and during her hospitalizations, we all took turns being with her and helping her while she was in the hospital and then in a rehab facility.  Family and married-into-the-family, we tried to do what we could.  In my case, that meant taking the shifts on the days when all the blood family members couldn't be there... and it also meant I had to get myself to her bedside and back, without a car, and that was a brutally cold and wet winter.

I'd like to say my behaviors were saintly at the time, but not in the least... I struggled to do my share, because C and I were not close, and getting to where she was took me several hours each way.  I found it really hard to 'will' myself to get there many a day and night... if you hunt back on his old Random thread, you may find some of my posts.  Tigger, my close friends and prayer community, and in a very special way those who were participating in BG's 'random thread' prayed and encouraged me through those dark months... and I am so grateful to them for that period....   And sometimes, one could feel the graces that were there.  On Christmas eve, I was very aware of a very very deep prayer experience of truly sensing what it was like for the Holy Family to be journeying to Bethlehem.... yup, was a very profound time... and of feeling called to minister to her and to the family as if they were the Holy Family.  Again, wasn't my idea... you have to look Higher.  Much Higher.

Shortly after new year about 2 years ago, she was able to go to live at her sister's house.  C mellowed a lot in the last years and months - it was clear that grace was slowly but surely transforming her.  She was much further away, and I couldn't visit as much... but we prayed for her and other family were able to be with her a lot.   Even just a month or so before her death, there was no openness on the part of the family to getting her a priest - 'it might scare her'.    I think it was the prayers of many many holy people and many of the phatmassers (some of whom are the same!) who nudged her into that sacrament - which makes me very very happy and grateful.

Sometimes I get peeeeeved about Phatmass... and then I remember support like what I received, and Tigger received, and I realize that God is so much bigger than any of our petty squabbles....

So... keep on praying, please!

And keep on reading!!!!!