An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Can Of Diet Coke Exploded

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I should have taken photos of the mess but I was in a little shock, and just making sure that my hand wasn't cut and that all the mess was wiped off walls and floor.

I took a can of DC out of the fridge (not freezer). The top was pushed out a little bit, like it had expanded, so I thought, well, I should open this over the sink, it looks like the contents are under a bit of pressure. All I can say is that it must have frozen in the fridge somehow because as soon as I tried to open it - the whole thing exploded in my hand and frozen DC went everywhere - all over me, the walls, the floor, the sink, and the can was almost obliterated! The first thing I checked was that my hand wasn't cut - it wasn't, but I am so grateful that nothing hit my eyes. 

Has anyone ever had a can of soda explode on them? I have put open cans in the freezer and the contents have expanded and run all over the freezer, but this was the first time I tried to open a frozen can. I should have just let it sit in the sink until it thawed, but I had no idea it would freeze in the fridge.I have since readjusted the fridge settings -- weird.

This one has split along the side but mine split all over because I tried to open it. And I saw a photo of a kid online who had to have stitches in his face from an exploding soda. I am so fortunate.

explodingsoda.jpg

Edited: yes, I have permission to drink DC. Just not exploding frozen DC. :)

Edited by nunsense

OnlySunshine

That's scary looking.  I used to drink soda like crazy and never had that happen.  The worst problem I had was sticking a can of Pellegrino Aranciata in the freezer to chill (it was lukewarm) and forgot about it.  By the time I found it again, it had popped the bottom and leaked all over the door shelf it was sitting on.  Such a sticky mess.

Are you sure there weren't any Mentos in the can?

giphy.gif

J/k!  ;)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

AccountDeleted

That's scary looking.  I used to drink soda like crazy and never had that happen.  The worst problem I had was sticking a can of Pellegrino Aranciata in the freezer to chill (it was lukewarm) and forgot about it.  By the time I found it again, it had popped the bottom and leaked all over the door shelf it was sitting on.  Such a sticky mess.

Are you sure there weren't any Mentos in the can?

J/k!  I know that's an old wives' tale.  ;)

Actually MM - it's not an old wives' tale that Mentos in soda explodes. In fact, my brother had a lot of fun inventing an engine that would run on DC and Mentos (too expensive for commercial applications) and he videotaped it and put it on youtube. He had several failed experiments but finally did get a good result.

I like this youtube video though of the Mentos trick - explained why it explodes, by the Mythbusters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbJELjLgZg

OnlySunshine

Actually MM - it's not an old wives' tale that Mentos in soda explodes. In fact, my brother had a lot of fun inventing an engine that would run on DC and Mentos (too expensive for commercial applications) and he videotaped it and put it on youtube. He had several failed experiments but finally did get a good result.

I like this youtube video though of the Mentos trick - explained why it explodes, by the Mythbusters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbJELjLgZg

Yeah, I got it confused with the myth about Diet Coke and Mentos rupturing the stomach.  ;)

AccountDeleted

Is that a giant thing of m&m's on your counter?

I wish it were my counter with a giant thing of M&Ms on it! :)  I copied this image from a Google search on exploded soda cans.

I should have taken a photo of my own can but I really was in a bit of shock after it happened. I kept thinking how the exploding metal could have injured me in some way.

Look at this pic from something similar happening... the kid had to have 38 stitches!

http://gizmodo.com/5939128/a-boy-needed-38-stitches-after-a-frozen-soda-can-exploded-in-his-face

17xipal86rtkjjpg.jpg

Kayte Postle

Aw nuts, everyone should a have giant thing of m&m's....

Oh dear! I've had cans explode in the freezer before (after I've forgotten that they were there), but I've never seen them just explode like that when you open them.

AccountDeleted

Aw nuts, everyone should a have giant thing of m&m's....

Oh dear! I've had cans explode in the freezer before (after I've forgotten that they were there), but I've never seen them just explode like that when you open them.

Well, I would have expected it if I had taken it out of the freezer - but I took it out of the fridge. It had been laying on its side so maybe that was why it froze. The other cans in the fridge were icy cold, but not frozen. 

And yes, M&Ms -- but peanut ones are my favorite! :)

brandelynmarie

I don't think M&M's are prone to exploding in the fridge :p....just sayin' ;)

Glad you are ok!