An Old School Catholic Message Board

Misquoted Nunsense

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Just fessing up that I misquoted nunsense in the thread in VS "Why enter religious life?" before justice comes knocking at my door.  Apologies nunsense!

What nunsense had written in a status update was:

· Unlock · Lock   12 Jul
nunsense

'To reach something good it is very useful to have gone astray, and thus acquire experience.'-- Saint Teresa of Avila

What I stated in the VS thread was:

I saw that nunsense posted a quote from St Teresa of Avila that it is good to have gone astray in order to acquire experience.  I am not too sure that it is "good" per se, but it can certainly be helpful in that one does acquire probably much experience and I think self-knowledge.

I thought it was strange that St T of A would write that it is good to have gone astray.  Truth of the matter is that she did not say that at all - I misquoted both St T of A and nunsense and in misquoting distorted totally the meaning of St T of A.

I am now going back to the thread in question and putting a link to this one.  :)

AccountDeleted

Yeah, I'm not so sure it's 'good' to go astray either! LOL  But useful? Yes, definitely, if one learns from it.  :)

Credo in Deum

The story of the Prodigal Son is a great example as well as St. Peter, and King David who said "I fell and was humbled". I personally believe those who suffer from addiction are living testaments to this truth. In my support group many of us have come to thank God and be grateful that He permitted us to fall this low, because without this fall we would have never been humbled and would have never come to have a relationship with Him.

Edited by Credo in Deum

BarbTherese

Aw Barbaratherese ...

Awwww CMAD

-  for shame .......shame on me! :)

BarbTherese

Yeah, I'm not so sure it's 'good' to go astray either! LOL  But useful? Yes, definitely, if one learns from it.   :)

Useful, but not good for sure.

When I realized that I had misquoted St Tof A after not quite believing that she would state that going astray is good and re reading your status update, I did think that what St Tof A actually did say, and you quoted, was an excellent illustration of the Permissive Will of God.  We can go astray, and God can Permit it, but going astray can, if we let it, lead to something good and this can be, for one, self knowledge.

BarbTherese

Not kind, I am afraid, BM - rather I thought that sooner or later someone would notice I had misquoted both nunsense and St Teresa of Avail - and I thought if I owned up it would be an act of self protection!  :evil:.........in other words I was acting to protect my "rear end'.

Not kind, I am afraid, BM - rather I thought that sooner or later someone would notice I had misquoted both nunsense and St Teresa of Avail - and I thought if I owned up it would be an act of self protection!  :evil:.........in other words I was acting to protect my "rear end'.

Lol :)