An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Someone Explain

superblue

The Rosary, there is a difference evidently between the everyday 5 decade Rosary, and the  15 decade Rosary, do we actually have the option to either pray the 5 decade or the 15 decade in reference to the 15 promises by the Blessed Mother ? http://www.15decaderosaries.com/home.php this site suggests the original intent was the entire 15, so I get confused and wonder what is the difference or is it an option, because I see the suggestions where we can pray certain mysteries on certain days....

Any person can pray any part of the rosary any time s/he feels like it. While the 15-decade rosary has been a standard devotion among Catholics for close to 800 years, it's not the only way to pray the rosary. Other people have created their own sets of mysteries, which have been mentioned in other threads - for instance, there are scriptural rosaries, the Franciscans have some mysteries of their own that they've prayed for centuries, and Pope John Paul II approved the Mysteries of Light (which were probably around prior to approval).

Some people (who have a lot of time on their hands) pray the traditional fifteen decades every day.

Some people (with less time on their hands) pray five traditional decades per day. Again traditionally, the mysteries were distributed over the days of the week: Monday-Joyful, Tuesday-Sorrowful, Wednesday-Glorious, Thursday-Joyful, Friday-Sorrowful, Saturday-Glorious, and Sunday-Glorious. But that's not required - it's not dogma. When John Paul II recommended adding the Mysteries of Light, it threw the rotation off, much to the dismay of some folks, but much to the joy of others.

If you have time for only one decade per day, you're perfectly welcome to pray that.

If you have a particular problem you want to pray about, and the problem seems related to a particular mystery, you could pray that mystery about that problem (The Agony in the Garden if you're facing something you think you can't survive, or the Crowning with Thorns if you feel like people are unjustly insulting you).

However you pray it, it should be prayed respectfully and prayerfully, not as an incantation or simply mindless repetition.

If you want more information about the rosary, I recommend you look up some Dominican resources - most provinces have a Promoter of the Rosary. You can start here: http://rosaryconfraternity.org/the-rosary/

truthfinder

In the list of indulgences, the Rosary is indulgenced once a "third" has been said - which at the time (and still now despite the addition of the luminous mysteries) means 5 decades. The 5 decades have been interchangeably been called both the rosary as well as a chaplet for hundreds of years.  

In the list of indulgences, the Rosary is indulgenced once a "third" has been said - which at the time (and still now despite the addition of the luminous mysteries) means 5 decades. The 5 decades have been interchangeably been called both the rosary as well as a chaplet for hundreds of years.  

I was wondering about this. Enchirion Indulgentium (I think - 1983?? and updated in 1999) came out before Rosarium Virginis Mariae (document which had the luminous mysteries - 2002).

yet I don't think the indulgences have been changed to reflect the new set of mysteries i.e. changing a "third" to a "quarter".

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20020826_enchiridion-indulgentiarum_lt.html

at 17 below

=============================================
Preces ad Beatissimam Virginem Mariam

§ 1. Plenaria indulgentia conceditur christifideli qui

1° 29Rosarium mariale pie recitaverit in ecclesia aut oratorio, vel in familia, in religiosa Communitate, in christifidelium consociatione et generatim cum plures ad aliquem honestum finem conveniunt;

2° eiusdem precis recitationi, dum a Summo Pontifice peragitur, et ope instrumenti televisifici vel radiophonici propagatur, sese pie univerit.

In aliis rerum adiunctis vero indulgentia erit partialis.

Est Rosarium certa precandi formula, qua quindecim angelicarum salutationum decades, oratione dominica interiecta, distinguimus et ad earum singulas totidem nostrae reparationis mysteria pia meditatione recolimus.

Quoad indulgentiam plenariam pro recitatione Rosarii marialis haec statuuntur:

a) sufficit recitatio tertiae tantum eius partis; sed quinque decades continuo recitari debent;

b) orationi vocali addenda est pia mysteriorum meditatio;

c) in publica recitatione, mysteria enuntiari debent iuxta probatam loci consuetudinem; in privata vero recitatione, sufficit ut christifidelis orationi vocali adiungat meditationem mysteriorum.

================

Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary

§ 1. Plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful who are

1 ° 29 devoutly recite the Rosary in the church or oratory, or in the family, in the religious communities, associations of Christ and, in general, although several to some worthy end in the crowd together

2 of prayer recitation, while the Pope is carried out and recorded television or radio propagation, they dutifully united.

In other circumstances, however, the indulgence will be partial.

The Rosary is a certain form of prayer which the angelic salutations of fifteen decades, the Lord's Prayer that in the interval, to distinguish and to the pious meditation on the mysteries of our restoration, we reflect on the same number of each of these.

With respect to a plenary indulgence for the recitation of the Rosary Marian is also established that:

a) sufficient recitation of the third only of the part; But five decades immediately should be recited;

b) the spoken addition of a pious meditation on the mysteries;

c) in the public recitation, the mysteries of the ought to be uttered in accordance with the approved custom of the place; But in private recitation, it is sufficient that the faithful should join in prayer meditation on the mysteries.

truthfinder

Because it clearly states "five decades", I don't think it matters that it has not yet been updated

brandelynmarie

Luigi, can we make you a Church Scholar? :) You are incredibly knowledgeable on many matters.

Ash Wednesday

Only people with theology degrees are allowed to have that tag... but Luigi is certainly what I call one of the "smart pholk"