An Old School Catholic Message Board

Inviting Others To Share In The Mystery...

Catherine Therese

Catherine Therese

Hi there,

Many discerners will join teaching orders and be responsible for evangelising in schools or universities - and perhaps some of you who were formerly sisters have moved across into teaching. I've been giving a great deal of thought lately to the question of how is it that we lead others into a discovery of the PERSON at the centre of all the structure and doctrine. I heard some co-workers discussing the notion of "religious literacy" last week and it got me thinking. 

My own thoughts on "religious literacy" are that it is different to linguistic literacy, or numeracy, or any other discipline, really. The key difference that I can see is that to be considered "literate" in any of these other subject areas, it is assumed that the literate person can demonstrate a certain mastery of that domain. The literate person is articulate in his or her expression, accurate in comprehension and adept in identifying patterns and common themes. The literate person exhibits command of his or her native tongue. 

Religious literacy is not like that. I mean, to a certain extent there are facts to learn, stories with which to become familiar and principles to learn how to apply. I tend to think, though, that a person cannot be considered literate in our faith until they begin to grasp the reality of how little the know, how unfathomable the depths... until they encounter the mystery and are irresistibly drawn in, needing to know Him more but with everything they discover facing the infinity of it all and not being able to contain or describe it. To be literate in our faith one concedes that they will NEVER exhibit mastery but will continue to experience the mystery and grow in capacity to receive and appreciate it for eternity. 

So how does this LIVING reality get passed on? How do we share this? How do we help them encounter HIM?

1 John 1:1-4 
"What was from the beginning,

what we have heard,

what we have seen with our eyes,

what we looked upon

and touched with our hands

concerns the Word of life - 

for the life was made visible;

we have seen it and testify to it

and proclaim to you the eternal life

that was with the Father and was made visible to us -

what we have seen and heard

we proclaim now to you,

so that you too may have fellowship with us;

for our fellowship is with the Father

and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

We are writing this so that our joy may be complete."

I'd be interested in any thoughts you might have on this notion of religious literacy and how to impart it to youngsters in a way that is REAL and LIFE-GIVING. 

Thanks!

Credo in Deum

It's sad because there is such an attack on mystery nowadays -especially now that we have access to so much information with one swipe, click, or tap- that kids do not comprehend, believe, or appreciate that there are things beyond their grasp. It's gotten so bad that people view mysteries in such a negative light that they see them as a nuisance, as if they are a lock on door they should have access to, or in terms of our first parents; a fruit they should be able to partake of. ;)

So the question comes then, how do we appreciate mysteries? Well one way that has helped me appreciate mysteries has been to appreciate people, since people are mysteries to me. No one can know everything about a person, because frankly we do not know everything about ourselves. Who we are is steeped in mystery and it is this mysteriousness which makes us unique from one another. Funny thing is whenever I hear the word unique I think about the saying "you're unique just like everyone else" and I can't help but laugh at how accurate that is. We are all the same in that we are all mysteries, but it is our mysteriousness which makes us individuals. It is in this way we reflect the image of the Trinity, where there are Three Persons but one God, and it is because of this we can say we encounter God when we encounter our neighbor. Our Lord affirms this when He says "what you have done to the least of these, you have done to Me."

I want to say more but I don't know how to express and convey what I'm thinking, so I will just take it as a sign that God wants me to keep it to myself. Anyway, thanks for bearing with me as I ramble. :)

"I am a mystery even to myself"--St. Padre Pio

Edited by Credo in Deum

veritasluxmea

I'm volunteering in RE this year and my parish is trying to incorporate encountering Jesus into the programs, instead of just memorizing rules and listening to stories. It's not easy. The way I'm trying to do it is by using scripture (lectio divina) in a small group form. It makes the group more intimate and personal and focuses on a relationship style of prayer. I don't know how well it will work yet, but it's a step in the right direction (I hope). 

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

This is a really great question, and one that I hadn't thought about in this way before, so thanks for bringing it up!

I think that a big factor comes from what Credo said: each person is unique. As a unique individual, everyone is going to have a different experience of God, or, to keep with the language of the thread, a different way of 'reading' God or of 'being read' by Him. Because of this, I think the second thing to do (no, not a typo ;) ) is to get the students to take time away from everything and spend time with God in prayer, especially in front of the Blessed Sacrament. In order for this to really work, though, we need to make sure that we are living what we're preaching, so we need to make sure that we're taking time out of our days to spend time with God in prayer, again, especially in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Again like Credo said, God is a great mystery to all of us, so while we can teach kids/students the doctrines of the faith, the history of the Church, etc., I don't know that we have the ability in and of ourselves to teach others how to be truly religiously literate. We can show others by example, explain our own faith lives, help lead small group lectio sessions or something like that, but the ultimate Teacher is Christ Himself. Our job is to simply lead others to Him. We have to show them where He is, show them by our lives how wonderful He is and that a life lived in and for Him is truly beautiful and worth it, despite (and because of!) the trials that are inherent in such a life.

Practically, though, how do we do this? I really think we need to form relationships with those we teach and welcome them into our lives as our brothers and sisters in Christ. I look at the members of my community who are most influential with the students at our high-school, and while their personalities are all very different, the one thing that is the same is the love they have for their students. It varies in how it is shown, but you can see it in how they live, how they talk about their students, and how much care they put into their lesson plans and teaching. It is very humbling to see that, and the students pick up on it, they really do.

There's a lot more running through my mind at the moment, but none of it coherent, so I think I'll stop there. I'm really interested in seeing what other people have to say about this, though, so please keep commenting!

BarbTherese

Much in life is still a complete mystery.  Watching a program last night on Leonardo da Vinci who had pondered why water flowed as it did and later compared it to the air and flying.  The commentator said that science today was still pondering these things with no clear answer.  There are oodles of theories in science - theories are not facts.

Mystery is simply what it states : mystery.  One cannot understand.  Mystery is all around us in the created world - why not in religion too.......... because some things in religion are a complete mystery.

Because science can explain much about the material world, it can be taken for granted that science can explain everything and as fact.  Not so.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

I think (IMVHO!) that the best way perhaps one can draw others into a desire to encounter The Lord and mystery is by unashamed confessing that one is a faithful and dedicated Catholic and to our theology - and by being a person marked by the fruits of The Holy Spirit.  In my teens I had an experience of a whole family (Mum and Dad, 5 children) converting to Catholicism because of something they saw me do daily and that was simply to ride my bike early in the morning to morning Mass. They asked my Mum where was I going so very early every morning. This was something that many did in my class in college and was nothing at all unusual nor special that I  was doing (pre V2).  When I was told I was the reason they converted and why, no one was more totally surprised than me.

Simply by the way we live and the person we are - and without realizing it perhaps, we are planting seeds as we sow the daily journey of our lives.  Some seeds will fall amongst weeds, some amongst rocks etc. etc., while some may just fall into viable soil...........and we might never know about it, any of it, until Heaven.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

I didn't realize it at all but what I was doing in riding to morning Mass each morning as a teenager, it came across to our neighbours next door as "mystery".  Mum cleared up that mystery and explained it.  But much in life in both the created world and in religion cannot be explained.  We live in the midst of mystery everywhere we turn almost - much of which science still labours to explain.  Theory is not fact.  And to me, mystery in the created world points and mirrors the mystery that is in religion and all related matters.

Note that in the parable of the sower, he does not search around for viable soil only - he just moves along sowing in all sorts of soil without discerning where the seeds are going.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Indwelling Trinity

I didn't realize it at all but what I was doing in riding to morning Mass each morning as a teenager, it came across to our neighbours next door as "mystery".  Mum cleared up that mystery and explained it.  But much in life in both the created world and in religion cannot be explained.  We live in the midst of mystery everywhere we turn almost - much of which science still labours to explain.  Theory is not fact.  And to me, mystery in the created world points and mirrors the mystery that is in religion and all related matters.

Note that in the parable of the sower, he does not search around for viable soil only - he just moves along sowing in all sorts of soil without discerning where the seeds are going.

Dear Barbara Theresa. Thank you for your insight. They are truly beautiful and profound.

Hugs,

Sister Emmanuel (IT)

Indwelling Trinity

Dear Barbara Therese:

Thank you for your most beautiful and profound insights. Such experiences of God and life free us in time to really embrace the Gospel message in its entirety The message never gets old in fact it keeps us young no matter what our age or physical attributes look like over time.

I pray that God continues to teach your heart and that you may always be open to listen to that tiny voice that beckons you to be his very own no matter what you state in life may be..

hugs,

IT

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much, IT, for your very kind thoughts :) .............and hugs from me coming back your way.............Barb

brandelynmarie

I'm also volunteering in RE this year with first graders. Our theme will be God is Love. Thank you, CT for bringing up this topic...I will see if I will be able to address the topic of religious literacy at a later date. I will be wrestling with it til next summer!

Edited by brandelynmarie

Hi there,

Many discerners will join teaching orders and be responsible for evangelising in schools or universities - and perhaps some of you who were formerly sisters have moved across into teaching. I've been giving a great deal of thought lately to the question of how is it that we lead others into a discovery of the PERSON at the centre of all the structure and doctrine. I heard some co-workers discussing the notion of "religious literacy" last week and it got me thinking. 

My own thoughts on "religious literacy" are that it is different to linguistic literacy, or numeracy, or any other discipline, really. The key difference that I can see is that to be considered "literate" in any of these other subject areas, it is assumed that the literate person can demonstrate a certain mastery of that domain. The literate person is articulate in his or her expression, accurate in comprehension and adept in identifying patterns and common themes. The literate person exhibits command of his or her native tongue. 

Religious literacy is not like that. I mean, to a certain extent there are facts to learn, stories with which to become familiar and principles to learn how to apply. I tend to think, though, that a person cannot be considered literate in our faith until they begin to grasp the reality of how little the know, how unfathomable the depths... until they encounter the mystery and are irresistibly drawn in, needing to know Him more but with everything they discover facing the infinity of it all and not being able to contain or describe it. To be literate in our faith one concedes that they will NEVER exhibit mastery but will continue to experience the mystery and grow in capacity to receive and appreciate it for eternity. 

So how does this LIVING reality get passed on? How do we share this? How do we help them encounter HIM?

1 John 1:1-4 
"What was from the beginning,

what we have heard,

what we have seen with our eyes,

what we looked upon

and touched with our hands

concerns the Word of life - 

for the life was made visible;

we have seen it and testify to it

and proclaim to you the eternal life

that was with the Father and was made visible to us -

what we have seen and heard

we proclaim now to you,

so that you too may have fellowship with us;

for our fellowship is with the Father

and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

We are writing this so that our joy may be complete."

I'd be interested in any thoughts you might have on this notion of religious literacy and how to impart it to youngsters in a way that is REAL and LIFE-GIVING. 

Thanks!

Catherine Therese,

I absolutely love the question that you are asking here.  It is one that has been on my heart and the heart of my brother for a few months now as we try to lead our young adult group deeper into relationship with Christ, or at least into the desire for that.  Now admittedly I am short on one size fits all answers....I only know what we have seen in our experience.  A few things have been helpful so hopefully something in this long winded response will be helpful to you.  If not, just pretend I didn't say anything and carry on!   :)  This is with a young adult group, but some of it would work with youngsters too.

I think first of all that for someone to become religiously literate in a way that is REAL and LIFE-GIVING it has to come through experience and not just with ideas.  With our group we decided a few months ago that we didn't want to be a group that just talked about the Faith all the time.  Its not enough.   There are tons of groups that talk about the Faith already.  We must live it in the context of our group.  We wanted our group to be an experience of Christ, in His Body, the Church.  I don't know how you'd break it down in the classroom setting but I can tell you this...if you guys don't pray together or if the classes don't lead to prayer they won't encounter God. 

As a starting point maybe try having a few minutes of silent prayer.  Kids are definitely capable of that.  And most people never get to experience silence in their lives.  Silence is huge in helping someone to hear God.  But teach them beforehand that God wants to speak to them.  He wants to tell them He loves them.  St. Ignatius says that at every moment God is laboring to speak to us.  Tell them of His longing for them and how He can speak to their hearts if they can shut off all the distractions for just a minute.  And then give them a little time to do it!   Actually do it!  Give Our Lord time to speak to them.  He will.  And as an added bonus, it won't be the same reciting of prayers they are used to so it will feel much cooler to them. 

Another thing that has really been a blessing in our group has been adding Taize songs to prayer time.  You could do before and after a lesson or during prayer.  There are several really good Taize songs and they are all quite simple.  The good thing here is that this is different for most cradle Catholics and it gets them actively doing something.  I really think because we are body and soul, we must find ways to incorporate the senses in our learning and in our prayer.  Singing is good.  Simple, embarrassing (none of us are great singers), but we're all in it together.  Interestingly, our group has grown since we started implementing elements of Taize into our group. 

This one is one often overlooked point, but its so simple.  When you teach spend more time talking about Him wherever possible.  Relate all the teachings back to God so they aren't just a set of rules or beliefs.  Obviously, you want them to come to know the Church's teachings.  And you have to give them that!  But always try to show that the Church teachings bring us back to Him.  That we learn all these things in order to know Him who is the Truth.  If you're constantly telling them that God is real, that He is alive, and that He matters, that He really loves them, and that they matter to Him that message will start to sink in over time....especially if they can see that YOU love them and that they matter to you.

Which leads me to the last point, pray a lot!  Ask God to use you in their lives!  Tell Him of your desires to help them all encounter Him and to make the Faith powerful and exciting in their lives.  He will help you.  Beg for that grace!   He wants that for them..so He will help you.  And just remember that even when you fail, or when you can't communicate it as you hoped, or when they don't listen even though you're sharing awesome stuff...the Holy Spirit will still use you anyways.  He doesn't need you or the class to be perfect.  He just needs you to be willing to be used by Him.  If you're anything like me, it will probably be the moment you didn't plan or when everything seems to be going wrong when He comes through just to show you that it wasn't you at all and never was.   Lol

/homily. 

ps.  Sorry I went all preachy there!   Hopefully something in that mess will help. I'm still trying to figure out answers to these questions too!   :)