An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feast/name Days

chrysostom

First:  do you or anyone you know celebrate these?  I know one family in Europe who does.  (:

Second:  what do you say to someone whose patron saint's feast day has arrived?  "Happy feast day"?  "Happy name day"?

Monks (at least some of them) call it a "name day" or "namesday." Check out the Facebook page of the Benedictine monks of Ascension monastery in Idaho. They note each monk's namesday with an individual post. I think I've seen similar posts on the FB page of St. Bernard Abbey in Alabama. 

If the person knows who their patron saint is, and what a feast day is, I think you could tell them "Happy feast day!" and they'd understand. 

You tell anybody "Happy" anything, and they're liable to take it well, even if they don't quite understand. 

I have people say "Happy Feast Day" on my Patron Saint's Feast Day and I'm Australian.
My friend who lived in Poland said it's more of a big deal there where you receive presents like it's your birthday.

My family always celebrated the feast of our patron saints.  Usually this meant longer evening prayers and cake! 
Along with "Happy Name's Day!" you can also wish them a "Blessed Name Day!"  or even "Many Years!" or "May God grant you many years!" 
After Liturgy those who have celebrated their namesday or birthday are sung, "Many years", "Χρόνια Πολλά" or "Многая лета"
As Luigi pointed out everyone differs on whether they say namesday, name day or name's day.  So I've used each at random.  :)

Yep, I do and so do most Orthodox I know. They do also have it in Sweden, a relic of ye olden Christian days. Calendars are printed with the daily names. If my family's anything to go by it's not really celebrated though.

Yep, I do and so do most Orthodox I know. They do also have it in Sweden, a relic of ye olden Christian days. Calendars are printed with the daily names. If my family's anything to go by it's not really celebrated though.

Do you know the Swedish greeting for a Name's Day?  Is it just the same?  "MÃ¥nga Ã¥r!"  ---  Please see Google for any unfortunate translation mistakes.  Thank you and have a lovely day.  ;)

ChristianGirlForever

We say, quite simply, for me, Happy St. Nina's Day. We also will pray to our patron saint on their day and have festive food.

It's changed quite a bit, I think, since the old days. In Russia it used to be that your name day was celebrated more than your birthday, with presents and a party.

I didn't know about the Swedish greeting. Thanks, 1054. That's interesting. I thought most Swedes were Protestant (Lutheran) or Catholic.

Spem in alium

The majority of Sisters in the congregation I'm applying with are European, and they celebrate name days - which is something I'd never done previously. They exchange gifts and cards with one another. My name day is May 15, and when I was at the convent around that time they gave me a small gift. I think you would just say "Happy Name Day". 

We say, quite simply, for me, Happy St. Nina's Day. We also will pray to our patron saint on their day and have festive food.

It's changed quite a bit, I think, since the old days. In Russia it used to be that your name day was celebrated more than your birthday, with presents and a party.

I didn't know about the Swedish greeting. Thanks, 1054. That's interesting. I thought most Swedes were Protestant (Lutheran) or Catholic.

Festive food is always a good way to go! 

I don't know that that is the Swedish greeting --- it was a question for Marigold.  I only typed "Many years" into Google translate!  I believe most Swedes are agnostic or atheist these days but again I'll defer to Marigold.  I believe there was an Orthodox presence there - due to proximity with Russia, but perhaps that only reached as far as Finland???  :sos:

If anyone says many years, I've not heard it. People have greeted me with 'Glad namnsdag' (happy name day) or 'Grattis' (congratulations).

Edited to add: yes, Sweden was officially Lutheran until it disestablished its national church in 2002 (?) ... The name day thing is something from before the reformation.

Edited by marigold

If anyone says many years, I've not heard it. People have greeted me with 'Glad namnsdag' (happy name day) or 'Grattis' (congratulations).

Edited to add: yes, Sweden was officially Lutheran until it disestablished its national church in 2002 (?) ... The name day thing is something from before the reformation.

Thank you for the clarification!  --- Sidenote: Did Orthodoxy arrive in Sweden at the same time as in Finland?

Are we talking about confirmation saints? Or the saint we are named after? Because I know nothing about the saint I'm named after (if one even exists :unsure: ) however, I have a pretty strong devotion to my confirmation saint, St. Francis de Sales (best Francis in my opinion, only one who is a doctor of the Church!  :winner: )

ChristianGirlForever

For Orthodox, confirmation (Holy Chrismation) and baptism are done together, so, a bit different.