An Old School Catholic Message Board

French Dissidence (about Time!)

mortify ii

French Dissidence  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People have been suspended in the past for using the word hell in that manner. Just a heads up, because I have seen you say it twice today.

What? I've definitely said worse. 

I mean, do you recall the organ thread? 

Edited by Amppax

Nihil Obstat

What? I've definitely said worse. 

I mean, do you recall the organ thread? 

Indeed. I agree. But it has happened.

but seriously, who the hell actually LIKES Putin? I smell a troll in the dungeon.

Why do you hate me?

but seriously, who the hell actually LIKES Putin? I smell a troll in the dungeon.

Why do you hate me?

Ash Wednesday

Whenever I hear British people complain about "immigrants" I just stand there feeling awkward and stare at my feet as an American... and an immigrant. 

Honestly, next time I'll have to ask them what that sentiment is supposed to mean to me. They'll probably get uncomfortable and try to act all fake polite about it, because, you see, they don't really mean ME, when they say that. Because they KNOW ME, and see me as a real person, I guess. Or maybe it's okay because, I speak English and I'm white but they don't want to come out and say it like that.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

20110730-d0418.jpg

Banning these posters being put up is considered racist and imperialist according to Nihil, something so abhorrent that anyone support a ban that is Catholic should have their faith questioned. Shame on you Nihil, perhaps you should go back to anti-modernist Encyclicals. 

Where is that true? Any facts? This is the work of a small range of extremists. There have been reports of a handul of extremists in various cities telling people not to drink alcohol, to cover up, not show affection etc. They all got arrested for intimidating behaviour! Most of those people are even banned from local mosques because they cause trouble.

The key is to find ways to tackle radicalization in all faiths, and to reduce it -  but often people simply want to react rather than process why people end up like this.

Edited by Benedictus

Whenever I hear British people complain about "immigrants" I just stand there feeling awkward and stare at my feet as an American... and an immigrant. 

Honestly, next time I'll have to ask them what that sentiment is supposed to mean to me. They'll probably get uncomfortable and try to act all fake polite about it, because, you see, they don't really mean ME, when they say that. Because they KNOW ME, and see me as a real person, I guess. Or maybe it's okay because, I speak English and I'm white but they don't want to come out and say it like that.

Americans are maybe in a different league, mostly liked. But it's fair to say some Brits don't like Americans either. It's for other reasons though I guess. Many don't want Eastern Europeans, even if they are White and speak English. So it's complicated. It's probably true that many see a bigger problem with those who don't seem to integrate very well culturally. Muslims are often the victims of this perception, mostly as extremists dominate the news and or overseas issues also. Being very religious is also really a British no no in most circles, so this doesn't gel well either. Oddly enough Chinese people, Sikhs and certain other groups (Nepalese, Japanese, Australians) all seem to be held in much higher regard. I could guess at why, but it'd all just being a hunch

Ash Wednesday

Americans are maybe in a different league, mostly liked. But it's fair to say some Brits don't like Americans either. It's for other reasons though I guess. Many don't want Eastern Europeans, even if they are White and speak English. So it's complicated. It's probably true that many see a bigger problem with those who don't seem to integrate very well culturally. Muslims are often the victims of this perception, mostly as extremists dominate the news and or overseas issues also. Being very religious is also really a British no no in most circles, so this doesn't gel well either. Oddly enough Chinese people, Sikhs and certain other groups (Nepalese, Japanese, Australians) all seem to be held in much higher regard. I could guess at why, but it'd all just being a hunch

Are you British? (Not a confrontation, that's an actual legit curious question!) 

It's definitely complicated. I guess when the issue of immigration and assimilation to a nation's culture comes up, the question becomes where one draws the line when they talk about what's acceptable as far as who can immigrate where and what is expected of said immigrant when they arrive to another country.

As far as the original French group and post goes, I understand their fear of losing their culture, and they're obviously fed up with the results of rampant secularism. I'm just not really convinced they're going about this the right way in the context of what Europe has been through before. (And quite frankly, the Lambda thing creeps me the eff out...)

My interpretation here is that they seem to want to go backwards and shun globalism, but I think that threshold has already been crossed and we really can't go back to a time before that. That said, I don't think it has to mean losing culture and identity in the process.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

P.S. I'm also inclined to think Pope St. John Paul II would have something really beautiful and insightful to say about all this if he hasn't already. :)

Are you British? (Not a confrontation, that's an actual legit curious question!) 

Yes, although growing up I was sent all over the place. I was baptized In the US and I lived with a host family there for about 3 years before I was sent to a boarding school in the north of England for a while.

Yeah, nationalism is vogue in many countries at the minute. I think the rise is connected to the economic situation, but there have been issues bubbling for many years under the surface. There is a lot of european skepticism, and a rise of the UKIP party (as I guess you know).

I can understand some concerns. The problem is these are most often taken on and expanded upon by extreme elements, and they come with some unsavoury views.

I doubt most Brits think much about Saint John Paul ll, more's the pitty.

. . . 

The obligation of evangelization requires that we Catholics are immigrants in strange countries, and that we do not assimilate, do not conform. We change cultures, change laws, and convert states. We are beaver dam lucky that the Irish and German Catholic immigrants to America did not follow your way of thinking.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or serious, regarding your last sentence.

Irish and German immigrants to America, overwhelmingly speaking, did in fact assimilate into American culture, respected their new country and its laws, and actually desired to become American.  (The same can also be said of immigrants from Italy, Poland, and other countries.)  This did not mean that they all abandoned their faith, or did not retain elements of their native cultures.

They did not try to remake America into Ireland or Germany, have primary allegiance to the old countries, or demand that they be bound to a different legal system than that the American one.  

There was simply nothing comparable to calls for Sharia law, or to immigrants from Mexico trashing the American flag.  (And I don't intend to imply that all or most immigrants from such countries do such things, but there is indeed a problem when there are significant numbers of persons coming into a country who do not believe in or respect that country and its laws.)

While I obviously don't agree with all the principles of this French group (which appears to be a fringe group of little real consequence), and am certainly no fan of Putin, I think this group does have some legitimate concerns.

There's nothing wrong with a country putting reasonable restrictions on immigration (or enforcing existing laws against illegal immigration), nor with people being concerned about preserving their country's own unique culture and heritage.  That in itself does not make one a racist or a fascist.  (Though racist and fascist groups do exploit such legitimate concerns).

God the Father

While I obviously don't agree with all the principles of this French group (which appears to be a fringe group of little real consequence),

Irrespective of this particular group's consequence, right-wing French nationalism is becoming a force to be reckoned with politically

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-france-national-front-election-20140527-story.html