An Old School Catholic Message Board

French Dissidence (about Time!)

mortify ii

French Dissidence  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing about being against immigration here, but immigrants and particularly those seeking to instill Sharia in Russia are expected to accept the Russian laws.

1386177860899.jpg

Nihil Obstat

I'm glad you've come around in agreement with Mr Putin who is protecting the faith and traditions of Russia

Yes, the great faith and traditions of communism, cronyism, violence, and thuggery. The Church of the KGB lives on in the hearts of those who truly believe.

So expecting migrants to respect and conform to the Country that embraced them rather than attacking the institutions is abhorrent in your opinion? Interesting. I thought such an expectation was all but natural and is supported widely even in the United States. 

Actually American Nativism is (historically) virulently anti-Catholic. Some of the periods of greatest growth in the country have corresponded to mass immigration, often of large Catholic groups (Irish and Italians for instance). If you look at this history of America, the tradition is being a "melting-pot" and valuing the cultures of immigrants. Ironically, the modern situation is almost worse, considering the history of the southwest and our relations with South America. We have never had a national language, and it has been with good reason. We are a nation of immigrants, that IS our heritage in the United States. Obviously, I can't speak for Nihil and Canada, but that's my perspective as someone here in the states. 

Also, I'm a political and patriotic agnostic, and have no great love for the US of A. As one of my friends recently posted on Facebook "I'm a Catholic 1st, a member of the human family, a member of my family, and THEN an American (United States Citizen)."  I just know my history, and I know that American Nativism has always been associated with Anti-Catholicism. 

Yes, the great faith and traditions of communism, cronyism, violence, and thuggery. The Church of the KGB lives on in the hearts of those who truly believe.

Cronyism, thuggery, violence etc are everywhere and don't reflect the Russian people as a whole, you're comment does range close to racism and stereotyping. Rather the values Putin defends are the Russian people's faith and values, something quite similar to Catholic values.

Actually American Nativism is (historically) virulently anti-Catholic. Some of the periods of greatest growth in the country have corresponded to mass immigration, often of large Catholic groups (Irish and Italians for instance). If you look at this history of America, the tradition is being a "melting-pot" and valuing the cultures of immigrants. Ironically, the modern situation is almost worse, considering the history of the southwest and our relations with South America. We have never had a national language, and it has been with good reason. We are a nation of immigrants, that IS our heritage in the United States. Obviously, I can't speak for Nihil and Canada, but that's my perspective as someone here in the states.

Also, I'm a political and patriotic agnostic, and have no great love for the US of A. As one of my friends recently posted on Facebook "I'm a Catholic 1st, a member of the human family, a member of my family, and THEN an American (United States Citizen)." I just know my history, and I know that American Nativism has always been associated with Anti-Catholicism.

My point was simply that many Americans expect immigrants to adopt our language and assimilate, rather than change out institutions, make English a second language, and ask to be judged by foreign and exotic laws.

Nihil Obstat

No no, do not misunderstand me. I am calling Putin a violent nationalistic former-(but-not-really)-KGB thug. Not the Russian people.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

No no, do not misunderstand me. I am calling Putin a violent nationalistic former-(but-not-really)-KGB thug. Not the Russian people.

Non sequitur, he can be a thug and still be right about defending the Russian people's faith and values.

Just substitute a few words and isnt this just what Republicans believe?

Virtually every one believes this about there own nations, whether they be Russian, Islamic, Chinese etc. It's just racist and imperialist when Europeans exhibit the same behavior.

Nihil Obstat

Non sequitur, he can be a thug and still be right about defending the Russian people's faith and values.

He is not defending the Russian people's faith and values. He is defending the values of cronyism and thuggery.

My point was simply that many Americans expect immigrants to adopt our language and assimilate, rather than change out institutions, make English a second language, and ask to be judged by foreign and exotic laws.

Right, and my point is that the history of this point of view in America is violently anti-Catholic. Think the Nativist Party (and the KKK, although that's a rabbit hole I'd rather not dive down). Not that people who hold these opinions are that radical, most aren't. But they are leaning towards that tradition, whether they like it or not. 

Therefore, as a Catholic, I think it's my duty to resist these strands of thought, rather than champion them. 

Putin is akin to a Charlemagne or king David

I really don't know what to say to this. For once in my life, I'm speechless. Putin and King David. Okay then.  :mail:  :unsure:  :sos: