An Old School Catholic Message Board

Louisiana Court Vs. The Seal Of Confession

Luigi

blazeingstar

This is a tough one personally for me.

I do believe at times priests abuse the seal of confession to their own benefit.  I believe this is one of those times.

However, regardless of a Priest abusing it our not, he cannot be compelled to say anything. 

That said, there is such a thing as an invalid confession.  She confessed sins that were not hers and that is in no way valid.  The whole dispute is a farce, yet if the Priest is maintaining that this was a valid confession, then he must remain silent.

Basilisa Marie

I heard the diocese is also trying to get the girl to not talk about it - is that true? Because if it is, that's definitely not how the seal works. 

KnightofChrist

I heard the diocese is also trying to get the girl to not talk about it - is that true? Because if it is, that's definitely not how the seal works. 

Where did you hear that?

blazeingstar

The girl reported that she was told that she was under the seal of confession also.  I haven't seen anything where the dioceses confirmed that they did.