An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question About An Order

Crucesignata

I have friends who are Resurrectionist priests. I've had less contact with the sisters of the same congregation, but when I was in Rome several years ago, I stayed at their convent for four or five days. It was staffed by sisters from the US, Poland, Italy, and probably some other countries.

They were founded by a mother and daughter, both of whom are on the road to sainthood. They, like the founders of the men's order, were Polish. I joke with my CR friend that "You don't have to be Polish to join the order, but if you are, there's no entrance test." Their primary goal at the time of their founding was to minister to the Polish community in exile in Paris, many of whom had fallen away from the practice of the faith. The men in the US are headquartered in Chicago because of its large Polish population, and they've staffed some of the well-know Polish parishes there for over a hundred years. But they also serve in parishes all over the country, from Florida to California. I think the sisters are headquartered in New York somewhere. 

The Resurrectionist charism is quite joyful, based as it is on the Resurrection. The people I know in the order all exhibit that joy - some more quietly than others, perhaps. Sister Mary Cook-and-Kitchen was Polish, with very limited English, but she was talkative, and she was delighted to have a man with an appetite in the house. She cooked pork just for me! Sister Mary Portress was Italian (and amazingly short!), and much less talkative but she was smiled a lot as I was coming or going.  

The European sisters I met wore a black habit; the American sister wore a much more modified habit, but a habit nonetheless. They seem to be one of those "middle of the road" orders that Lilllabett described in another thread - they wear habits, they attend Mass together every morning (I don't know anything about their rest of their prayer schedule), they go about their business without a lot of fanfare, they have their ministries and are continuing with them (rather than branching out into lots of new areas). I have no idea whether they get many vocations. 

If you're at all interested, contact them. They're solid in every respect. 

brandelynmarie

CherieMadame knows them...she mentioned them in the Middle of the Road Thread. :nun:

I didn't mean to say they look beautiful in a "wordly" manner; their spirituality and work looks (since I don't know them) looks beautiful. They seem very well organized and I found their website to be very inviting. I would definitely check them out, and I plan on writing to them so I can have their information for "my" discerners!
Rose