An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Militant Pledge Thread

dUSt

and also every forum on the internet in the world that's worth anything hassles n00bs. There are some people who cater to any and all sensitivities that a person *might* have, and that's nice, but it can get a little ridiculous.

There are much worse forms of hazing.

Like so? 

Hazing-Dazed-and-Confused-GIF.gif

That is not good enough.  Nobody should have a status that removes the obligation to be charitable.  Any orthodoxy, any length of time on the phorum, any post count - it is all nothing without charity.

I have done a search to find out what has been said about Church Militant status in the past.  At one point, it was considered a recognition of the poster's commitment to orthodoxy, humility and charity.  Now some of the nastiest cracks made here come from people with CM by their name.  This is not right.  

While I understand Lil Red's joke (and yes I do think it was a joke towards n00bs, not Chummy Commoners, and a number of the Chummy Commoners that posted I recognize from VS posts but may not post much outside of VS)  ... Peregrina does have a point.

She's right.  There have been some moments of real nastiness on the board, and yes, sadly there have been Church Militants who have done this.  And she is also right to say that "it is not right."

If you have a Church Militant tag on your name, yes it recognizes that you are a faithful Catholic that hold to Catholic teaching, and that it has been evident on the board.

It does give food for thought ... about the times those of us who are Church Militant have posted things that are not appropriate on a Catholic phorum, or have been (what I like to call) snarky.

And no -- the Winchester Line is the Winchester Line, and that line really only applies to Winchester.  It isn't a line that is applicable to "a select group of people" (and if it seems that way -- then shame on us mods for not acting).

And I will say this -- at times I think even the Winchester Line has been quite blurry to the point of being broken.

As a mod -- to those who have been offended by the Winchester Line, I am sorry ... I really am ... to the hurt it may have caused.

and also every forum on the internet in the world that's worth anything hassles n00bs. There are some people who cater to any and all sensitivities that a person *might* have, and that's nice, but it can get a little ridiculous.

There are much worse forms of hazing.

A forum that stands for evangelizing the world for Christ should not have the same standards as "every forum on the internet in the world".  Hassling new members is opposed to the message of Christ.  

We are supposed to be trying to imitate Christ, not be better than the worst of humans.

Now I'm the worst of humans because I lol'd that newbies who we don't know from Adam are asking for a CM tag? hahahahahahahaha!

Now I'm the worst of humans because I lol'd that newbies who we don't know from Adam are asking for a CM tag? hahahahahahahaha!

I did not say that.  I am sorry if I have hurt you.

A forum that stands for evangelizing the world for Christ should not have the same standards as "every forum on the internet in the world".  Hassling new members is opposed to the message of Christ.  

We are supposed to be trying to imitate Christ, not be better than the worst of humans.

I'm gonna go into a little armchair socio-psychoanalysis here. Forgive me for the rambles: People like to joke around. If you always cater to the lowest common denominator of sensitivity you might be a saint but it's not how normal human interaction works.

People I hang out with on a daily basis give each other crap as almost a form of camaraderie, sometimes it crosses the line but it's mostly in good fun. So it's natural that, for people like myself, when new people want to enter the fold so to speak, you give em the business a little bit because that's just a part of our daily expression. If you can't take a little bit of hazing then it's not that we don't want the n00b here, but the n00b probably doesn't want to be with us because we use smart-assery to express disdain/admiration, the whole nine.

Again not everyone is as much of an arse as I, but for those who are I don't think it's a horrible, horrible thing just a cultural difference.

blazeingstar

While I understand Lil Red's joke (and yes I do think it was a joke towards n00bs, not Chummy Commoners, and a number of the Chummy Commoners that posted I recognize from VS posts but may not post much outside of VS)  ... Peregrina does have a point.

She's right.  There have been some moments of real nastiness on the board, and yes, sadly there have been Church Militants who have done this.  And she is also right to say that "it is not right."

If you have a Church Militant tag on your name, yes it recognizes that you are a faithful Catholic that hold to Catholic teaching, and that it has been evident on the board.

It does give food for thought ... about the times those of us who are Church Militant have posted things that are not appropriate on a Catholic phorum, or have been (what I like to call) snarky.

And no -- the Winchester Line is the Winchester Line, and that line really only applies to Winchester.  It isn't a line that is applicable to "a select group of people" (and if it seems that way -- then shame on us mods for not acting).

And I will say this -- at times I think even the Winchester Line has been quite blurry to the point of being broken.

As a mod -- to those who have been offended by the Winchester Line, I am sorry ... I really am ... to the hurt it may have caused.

DuST created the Winchester line and Lil Red WAS a mod and therefore, in my eyes, has put in far more time and is entitled to her opinions.

You're a mod now and putting in your time, and while I agree with you in general, in this I don't.  Charity is always good, always.  But we aren't called to be somber, practical people. 

It is funny quite ironic that people who haven't been around want to have what was a super elite status.  And I realize that by sticking my neck out I probably won't get that status.  However, I think that is a worthy sacrifice.  This is a family, a community and a group of people with their own likes and dislikes.  N00bs have to learn the culture, jump in, and become part of it.  They have to show through words and time that they do post in accordance with the church magisterium. 

To do that in 100 posts would mean that they would have to be eloquent in dictation and reflection, to never have been misunderstood, to show that they had staying power.  

Perhaps DuST would like to make "CM" into a status that dosn't have as much meaning, but until he does, Lil Red laughed at something funny, and she was not incorrect.

We can all remember to act with more charity, but i think that charity on this forum is often synonymous with being cowering and having no opinion, rather than simply acting with righteous attitude towards a situation.  Too often people who have valid points and are giving advice are told they are not being charitable simply because they are disagreed with.

blazeingstar

I think you need to learn the difference between hassling and having fun. 

I think you need to learn the difference between hassling and having fun. 

I know the difference.  Fun that comes at the expense of others is hassling.

blazeingstar

I know the difference.  Fun that comes at the expense of others is hassling.

Expense of a person.  This was an observation about a group of people.

Well now, I suppose Lil Red should go and apologize to the 5,000 people who've joined and posted less than 100 times for offending them.

....yea...right.... :flex:

Expense of a person.  This was an observation about a group of people.

Well now, I suppose Lil Red should go and apologize to the 5,000 people who've joined and posted less than 100 times for offending them.

....yea...right.... :flex:

She could apologize to the few people in this thread that she laughed at.