An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Militant Pledge Thread

dUSt

That is not good enough.  Nobody should have a status that removes the obligation to be charitable.  Any orthodoxy, any length of time on the phorum, any post count - it is all nothing without charity.

I have done a search to find out what has been said about Church Militant status in the past.  At one point, it was considered a recognition of the poster's commitment to orthodoxy, humility and charity.  Now some of the nastiest cracks made here come from people with CM by their name.  This is not right.  

How is that a nasty crack? It's simply an observation that it really isn't appropriate to give a recognition for something that hasn't been earned yet. And if you've been here long enough, you'll realize that there is a certain sense of humor and jokes shared by members which can come off as nasty, but really shouldn't be taken that way. 

blazeingstar

That is not good enough.  Nobody should have a status that removes the obligation to be charitable.  Any orthodoxy, any length of time on the phorum, any post count - it is all nothing without charity.

I have done a search to find out what has been said about Church Militant status in the past.  At one point, it was considered a recognition of the poster's commitment to orthodoxy, humility and charity.  Now some of the nastiest cracks made here come from people with CM by their name.  This is not right.

You're entitled to your opinion, and quite frankly, so are Lil Red and I.

Charity is very subjective, and people get their panties in a knot over the wierdest things.  I know there are people who are very butthurt because  myself and other posters feel persecuted as Catholics in New England and how we can't possibly comprehend how it is to really be persecuted (like homosexuals). 

You're a CM and you're responsible for your own behavior.  Calling someone out when you have PM privileges isn't really all that charitable, either in my opinion.  Criticize in private, praise in public.

Lil Red used humor to create a valid point.  99% of n00bs in no way qualify for Church Militant.  Like it or not, Phatmass is a group of people who do become a community.  Even if the Archbishop himself came on Phatmass he'd have to earn his title  (well barring the fact he'd have a Clergy tag).

That's just the way it is.

How is that a nasty crack? It's simply an observation that it really isn't appropriate to give a recognition for something that hasn't been earned yet. And if you've been here long enough, you'll realize that there is a certain sense of humor and jokes shared by members which can come off as nasty, but really shouldn't be taken that way. 

Laughing at people is nasty.  The comment was directed at people who are new and therefore do not know about the "certain sense of humour".

There is nothing wrong with kindly explaining that people need enough of a posting history for others to recognize that they can follow through on the "Amen".  Lil Red's comment was neither simply an observation nor kind.

blazeingstar

Laughing at people is nasty.  The comment was directed at people who are new and therefore do not know about the "certain sense of humour".

There is nothing wrong with kindly explaining that people need enough of a posting history for others to recognize that they can follow through on the "Amen".  Lil Red's comment was neither simply an observation nor kind.

Laughing at people's actions is nasty?  And that's what it is, she laughed at an action not a person.  She didn't laugh at any posters in particular, but what a group of people were doing.  She didn't say "LOL and death to the Newbie  Jack who who is seeking an exclusive status with only 10 posts, what a moron"

No, she made a broad comment.   She found it funny that so many people who were new didn't actually read the point of the thread but hopped on and said Amen.  While that's a wonderful thing, reading and knowing the culture of Phatmass is important. 

It is funny to go on the board and expect an exclusive status when you're not out of intro status. 

Edited by blazeingstar

Charity is very subjective, and people get their panties in a knot over the wierdest things.  I know there are people who are very butthurt because  myself and other posters feel persecuted as Catholics in New England and how we can't possibly comprehend how it is to really be persecuted (like homosexuals). 

You're a CM and you're responsible for your own behavior.  Calling someone out when you have PM privileges isn't really all that charitable, either in my opinion.  Criticize in private, praise in public.

Lil Red used humor to create a valid point.  99% of n00bs in no way qualify for Church Militant.  Like it or not, Phatmass is a group of people who do become a community.  Even if the Archbishop himself came on Phatmass he'd have to earn his title  (well barring the fact he'd have a Clergy tag).

When somebody makes a hurtful comment, sometimes it helps the people who are hurt to see that others disagree with it.  So I made my objections public.  

It is not especially controversial or hard to understand that laughing at people is not charitable behaviour.

blazeingstar

When somebody makes a hurtful comment, sometimes it helps the people who are hurt to see that others disagree with it.  So I made my objections public.  

It is not especially controversial or hard to understand that laughing at people is not charitable behaviour.

She didn't call out ANY people!!!!  She laughed at the behavior of new people trying to get an exclusive status.

There is a difference. 

AMEN, though I suppose I'm not worthy.

To those who don't know me: I'm usually around in VS. As I am not a native speaker of English, I have to think a lot before writing and that lowers the number of my posts.

blazeingstar

AMEN, though I suppose I'm not worthy.

To those who don't know me: I'm usually around in VS. As I am not a native speaker of English, I have to think a lot before writing and that lowers the number of my posts.

Hi Sensis,

Its a status that's earned, not a right.  Many posters here are from different countries.  Many posters are in line with the church but don't receive it ever.  Don't feel bad that you don't have it.  Most don't.

My point was…why ask for something when you are brand new to the phorums, nobody knows you/respects you/knows your actual commitment to Church teaching? It wasn't a "nasty crack". Someone needs a gif to laugh:

frowny_face_supernatural.gif

Ruh roh.

LOL!

1) Because Lil Red falls under all protections afforded by the Winchester Laws

2) Because the whole idea is that Church Militants have proven themselves worthy, and doing that in less than 100 posts/3ish months on is basically impossible

3) Because Lil Red.

and also every forum on the internet in the world that's worth anything hassles n00bs. There are some people who cater to any and all sensitivities that a person *might* have, and that's nice, but it can get a little ridiculous.

There are much worse forms of hazing.

How is this an OK thing to say?

please, if you have a problem with my post, feel free to report me. 

Olaf_sneeze.gif