An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Hobby Lobby Girl

CrossCuT

Holly-Hobby-Lobby-Twitter-665x385.jpg

Holly Fisher, a conservative Christian, has been getting insane amounts of attention recently by trolling liberals on social media over the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby decision. Unfortunately, she tried to up the ante one too many times and now she has unintentionally become the living symbol of how fundamentalism, no matter in what religion, looks disturbingly similar.

After gaining internet fame for posing for a “conservative hat trick” by standing in front of a Hobby Lobby wearing a pro-life t-shirt and drinking out of a Chick-fil-a cup, Fisher wanted to find her next big political statement. Fisher’s fans had apparently been telling her that just standing in front of Hobby Lobby wasn’t good enough. The astute patriots noted that the most important aspects of being an American – guns, the Bible and the American flag – were conspicuously absent. Assuming she could get a further rise out of the liberals she hates so much, Fisher quickly tweeted a new photo to prove just how patriotic she was.

While many of her followers fawned over the latest “suck it, Liberals!” tweet, one user noticed how creepy the photo was if you stopped to think about it.

This prompted someone to post the obvious comparison: Fisher’s picture next to an almost identical picture of a young woman holding a similar rifle, in front of a Islamic flag and clutching the Quran. Even their crooked smiles are exactly the same. It’s uncanny.

Fisher, a self-described â€œSecond Amendment supporting mother of three and wife of a military combat veteran” is an amazing reminder that had she been born in a different place in the world with a different religion she would proudly be standing up for Islam and not Christianity. Fundamentalism knows no national borders. See, we aren’t so different after all – even in our extremism.

image1-500x321.jpg

Article: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/06/womans-attempt-to-troll-liberals-backfires-when-someone-notices-this-disturbing-similarity/

Except she took the picture as a publicity stunt, not as a declaration of war.

and yet, it looks surprisingly like the one who took the picture as a 'declaration of war'

how wonderfully ironic....

Credo in Deum

Trying to think of pick up lines....

1.) "Nice AR-15, you wanna go out on a date?"   

2.) "Quick say yes to going out with me, before your boss St. Michael comes back and takes you away."  

I know, I know.  St. Michael is awesomesauce, so that one will most likely never work.  Or any of them for that matter.  

Eh, it's a work in progress.  

Trying to think of pick up lines....

1.) "Nice AR-15, you wanna go out on a date?"   

2.) "Quick say yes to going out with me, before your boss St. Michael comes back and takes you away."  

I know, I know.  St. Michael is awesomesauce, so that one will most likely never work.  Or any of them for that matter.  

Eh, it's a work in progress.  

3) "That burka looks really good on you... 

Wait. We're not talking about the same one. poo.  

Edited by Amppax

blazeingstar

and yet, it looks surprisingly like the one who took the picture as a 'declaration of war'

how wonderfully ironic....

They also take pictures of starving children cuddling teddy bears and compare them with fat American children.  Pictures can be woefully deceiving.  One of the most popular memes among mothers is "Why my toddler is crying"  and quite honestly, one cannot easily tell between those children (who is sobbing because his mother cut his bandanna the wrong way) and the refugee toddler who just saw his father blown to bits.

The ironic part is that she is celebrating her freedom the same way another woman is captured and enslaved by it.

They also take pictures of starving children cuddling teddy bears and compare them with fat American children.  Pictures can be woefully deceiving.  One of the most popular memes among mothers is "Why my toddler is crying"  and quite honestly, one cannot easily tell between those children (who is sobbing because his mother cut his bandanna the wrong way) and the refugee toddler who just saw his father blown to bits.

The ironic part is that she is celebrating her freedom the same way another woman is captured and enslaved by it.

yes..

pictures can be deceiving..

but they can also show the bloody obvious....

uzRfQkz.gif

Ash Wednesday

At least bible girl is born in a country where she can choose her religion regardless of which religion she was born in.

That said, for a military wife she doesn't know her proper flag etiquette. Given that she's displaying it towards the camera, union is always upper left, not upper right.

If you're going to be a patriotic troll, do it right.

:sam:

I think the similarities are overstated. Although I think this woman is probably someone I'd disagree with on a lot of things, I feel the need to defend her. For one thing, although I think that those who trumpet their "2nd amendment rights" are intolerably annoying, I wouldn't compare them to militant Islamic Jihadists. It's a defensive measure, meant to insure people could protect their families and possessions. Although I think it's an antiquated measure and that gun control could be a good thing, it doesn't mean I think this woman is comparable to someone who condone/support/perpetrate the violence the ISIS has against Iraqi Christians. The fact of the matter is, as abhorrent as American Fundamentalist Protestantism can be (I'm thinking of KKK as the absolute worst) it is not nearly in the same league as Islamic fundamentalism. The Qu'ran is very explicit in calling for jihad against infidels, and it isn't at all ambigious about what that means, especially if you look at the early history of Islam or at the hadiths. The fact of the matter is, Islamic fundamentalism could be argued to be the most authentic form of Islam, much in the same way we argue Catholicism is the most authentic form of Christianity. Based on my study of Islam (which isn't, granted, terribly extensive I've taken a couple of courses on Islamic history) I think that's the case. So I'm a little bit uncomfortable with this comparison because there really is a difference in kind between these two women.

I made the mistake of going and reading the comments on the original article. It seemed the majority interpretation of these pictures is the one that Richard Dawkins would give "See! All religion is inherently violent and brings nothing but hatred into the world!" The whole "Wow, religious fundamentalism looks so similar" seems really disingenuous to me, and strikes me as very similar to the sort of thing Mr. Dawkins would say. It strikes me as similarly flawed as the comparison between modern political groups and Nazi's.  

KnightofChrist

This reminds me of the simpleton picture comparisons I've seen of Obama before he was President wearing a Muslim headdress and Osama wearing the same type or similar headdress, or the ones that compare the likeness of the Satan character from the History Channel's 'The Bible' series and Pres. Obama. People were using the same type of dimwitted logic and jumping to the same type of baseless wild and ridiculous accusations. All of which were based on nothing more than pictures.

KnightofChrist

Still she must be a witch... and she did turn me into a newt. I would post the comparison photos but.... it got better.

blazeingstar

This reminds me of the simpleton picture comparisons I've seen of Obama before he was President wearing a Muslim headdress and Osama wearing the same type or similar headdress, or the ones that compare the likeness of the Satan character from the History Channel's 'The Bible' series and Pres. Obama. People were using the same type of dimwitted logic and jumping to the same type of baseless wild and ridiculous accusations. All of which were based on nothing more than pictures.

Wait, I'm nominated for CM and KoC agrees with me.  Something MUST be going on in Phatmasslandia

My point exactly.

This woman is free to dress, believe, speak as she pleases.  She is free to hold a gun, soda, or puppy.  The woman in the other picture comes from a country where she must dress, act, and believe certain things.  This girl is not oppressed or radicalized, and, quite frankly, if anything it seems she's using the Bible as a prop and not really caring about what is written.

I'm so sick of Christians being called extremists for basic beliefs.

...side note...VERY bad anti-christian day in the offfice.  Very bad.  But you know, if I explain feeling persecuted for believing in God on PM then I'm a whiny hater towards real persecuted groups.