An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer Before The Blessed Sacrament At Night

chrysostom

brandelynmarie

St Joseph received direction from God while sleeping ;)

I should have realized that :) I usually think of the story of Bishop Sheen who once fell asleep in his holy hour.

I like the idea of the St. Joseph Meditation :)

I would love to hear that story of Venerable Fulton Sheen!
:hehe2:

And in the same vein, I always think of St. Thérèse who would fall asleep while giving thanksgiving after Mass...& she would spend the rest of her day telling God thank You in order to make up for it. :blush: She also said something about how little children often fall asleep & still their parents love them...so how much more He loves us when we fall asleep then!

truthfinder

I like the idea of the St. Joseph Meditation :)

I would love to hear that story of Venerable Fulton Sheen!
:hehe2:

And in the same vein, I always think of St. Thérèse who would fall asleep while giving thanksgiving after Mass...& she would spend the rest of her day telling God thank You in order to make up for it. :blush: She also said something about how little children often fall asleep & still their parents love them...so how much more He loves us when we fall asleep then!

Well, I can't find any verification for the story, but Bishop Sheen fell asleep during one of his Holy Hours, and after waking up, heard Jesus say to him that asleep was how His first disciples spent their holy hour, but not to do it again!

MarysLittleFlower

I think it's beautiful and Jesus is often alone at night so I hope this is a consolation to Him!

MarysLittleFlower

Oh, another thing. 

When I first said "yes" and finally embraced my calling to religious life, it was late at night, in a candle-lit chapel, alone with Our Lord long after Compline, since the Vocations Director had earlier yielded the chapel to me perhaps sensing that I needed that time with Him.

Incidentally, I was interrupting HER alone time with Him by just being there. She used to say, in drawing an analogy to lay life, that it was like the kids had been put down to bed and she could just be with her spouse at that time... which is why the candles were all lit in the first place :)

ah beautiful :D

TheresaThoma

There really is something about night prayer that I can't explain. My other favorite time to pray is right at dawn. It just has a feeling of expectation.

AveMariaPurissima

I like adoration at night because I want to console Jesus and keep Him company in the hours when He is most alone, and make reparation for those who are offending Him.

be_thou_my_vision

The community I was with has Perpetual Adoration. The Sisters switch off hourly. There are two Sisters the majority of the time in front of the Blessed Sacrament around the clock.

Night adoration was a very beautiful time. We had something called the "night litany" which were prayers for all people that were up at night: people who worked the night shift, those who were up with small children, etc. as well as those who were selling drugs, prostituting, etc. It is as if I was holding all the world when I had an hour of Adoration at night. The Sisters have this charism as their most important, and they hold it very close. Adoration always comes first before any other apostolate. It was (and is) so special. 

Night adoration was a very beautiful time. We had something called the "night litany" which were prayers for all people that were up at night: people who worked the night shift, those who were up with small children, etc. as well as those who were selling drugs, prostituting, etc. It is as if I was holding all the world when I had an hour of Adoration at night. The Sisters have this charism as their most important, and they hold it very close. Adoration always comes first before any other apostolate. It was (and is) so special. 

That is so very beautiful.