An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tablets

Byzantine

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for school (easier to bring with me on my commute than a laptop). I like iOS and was considering an iPad mini. Any recommendations?

Also, what happened to the phorum in my absence???

I personally despise apple products and my mother has a kindle fire from amazon but its kinda meh. Mostly because it utilizes your amazon account exclusivity and have less functionality than other tablets...and there is like weird advertisement all over the lock screen...its just strange.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 7inch Tablet and i love it! I opted for the smaller tablet size for the $$$ as well as being able to fit it in my purse better. I used it for school as well!

Edited by CrossCuT

maximillion

The was a hiccough, the forum went random, lots of peeps became Church Militant, and well, DRAMA! :bounce:

blazeingstar

I'm not that impressed with my MIL's Ipad, nor the Nook Color, nor Amazon fire.  My dad has a sony? tablet and that seems to work quite well.

I do like my macbook tho....soooo much faster and lighter than my old laptop

Catholics behaving badly.

The coach put us all on punishment laps.

OnlySunshine

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for school (easier to bring with me on my commute than a laptop). I like iOS and was considering an iPad mini. Any recommendations?

I asked about this last year and ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7" screen with 16 GB expandable memory).  It's been a great tablet and I bought a memory card to expand the storage space since I use the tablet to take notes.  I love how light it is and doesn't take up a lot of space.  I bought a case that also has a keyboard on Amazon which was very worthwhile because it allows me to take notes faster rather than typing on the screen.  It was pretty inexpensive ($169 at BJ's) and hasn't had any problems.  :)

http://www.samsung.com/latin_en/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/galaxy-tab/SM-T2100ZWLTTT

Yeah I love my samsung too! Its literally like the samsung galaxy phone...just bigger. Some of my friends teased me saying I could probably turn my tablet into a phone; Id just look like a dolt when making phone calls!  :hehe2:

OnlySunshine

Yeah I love my samsung too! Its literally like the samsung galaxy phone...just bigger. Some of my friends teased me saying I could probably turn my tablet into a phone; Id just look like a dolt when making phone calls!  :hehe2:

I'm thinking about getting a bigger screen (10 inch) if I can afford it.  They didn't have the option at the store I bought it so I went with the smaller screen which has served me well but I'd like the extra space.  :)

I have no idea how you'd turn a tablet into a phone but that sounds interesting!

Actually they do have that, it's called a phablet, (combination of the words phone and tablet). It's basically just a smart phone with a giant screen. Very popular in the developing world where people can't afford multiple computing devices.

I'm thinking about getting a bigger screen (10 inch) if I can afford it.  They didn't have the option at the store I bought it so I went with the smaller screen which has served me well but I'd like the extra space.  :)

I have no idea how you'd turn a tablet into a phone but that sounds interesting!

My dad is the same way.He has recently fallen in love with my mom's Kindle Fire so we are thinking about getting him a tablet (Probably a Samsung because he doesnt like the KF too much) for Christmas. But he mentioned that he prefers the bigger screen too because its easier to read.

OnlySunshine

My dad is the same way.He has recently fallen in love with my mom's Kindle Fire so we are thinking about getting him a tablet (Probably a Samsung because he doesnt like the KF too much) for Christmas. But he mentioned that he prefers the bigger screen too because its easier to read.

It's very frustrating when the on-screen keyboard pops up and limits the view space.  I could turn it off but I don't always use the external keyboard so I'd be constantly switching it on and off.  Other than that, it would help to view websites in a bigger space since I use my school's WiFi network on-campus. 

OnlySunshine

I've also considered upgrading to the Galaxy Note since it comes with extra features (like on-screen writing capability).  Regardless, I love the setup of Samsung tablets.  :)

Nihil Obstat

The trick with a tablet is to get the best processor you can afford. That is how you can get the most life out of it, because it can actually keep up with updates for a while. That is my issue with the Kindle Fire and the really cheap tablets. The processors are slow, so you are inherently very limited.
I love Samsung's lineup, especially the quad and octa cores. Makes me wish I needed one.

It's very frustrating when the on-screen keyboard pops up and limits the view space.  I could turn it off but I don't always use the external keyboard so I'd be constantly switching it on and off.  Other than that, it would help to view websites in a bigger space since I use my school's WiFi network on-campus. 

That is true! However usually when I am typing I am focusing on the keyboard and I dont need to see the screen until Im finished. Although my Samsung keyboard only takes up about 1/3 of the screen when it is in use...I guess it doesnt bother me much.

I think the only complaint I have for tablets (or touch screen devices of any kind) is copy and paste. ARG! The hardest thing is trying to select the stuff you want and copy it. Haha!

The trick with a tablet is to get the best processor you can afford. That is how you can get the most life out of it, because it can actually keep up with updates for a while. That is my issue with the Kindle Fire and the really cheap tablets. The processors are slow, so you are inherently very limited.
I love Samsung's lineup, especially the quad and octa cores. Makes me wish I needed one.

I didnt really need my tablet...but I wanted it! :evil:

So I forced my fiance to buy me one for Christmas. When he did, he earned a cookie.  :hehe2: