An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who In Here, The Vocation Station, Wants Some Responsibility?

dUSt

franciscanheart

I think you should ask all the ex-mods (especially the ones who had to deal with vocation station) who they think would be a good nomination. I mean, who knows better than the people who were driven away who will most likely be up for the challenge?

domenica_therese

This made me laugh...

I think in positions of power or authority, the general rule is that the person who doesn't want the job would be the best person for it. But I think in a case like this, it would be silly to appoint someone who actually didn't want to do it or was unable to do it for any reason.

Right, I was admin on a site for a bit, and we used to kind of draft people we thought were solid into the position, but sometimes they had no idea what the commitment would really be like. They accepted the position out of a feeling of obligation, but didn't truly have the time for it. I'm trying to convince the current administration to move to having people apply for the positions since it's such an intensive job, you really do need someone very devoted, but they're afraid of drama. We shall see.  :hehe2:

I think you should ask all the ex-mods (especially the ones who had to deal with vocation station) who they think would be a good nomination. I mean, who knows better than the people who were driven away who will most likely be up for the challenge?

Ex-mods are dead to me.

I second the ex-mod's weighing in. Mainly because I'm laughing at the different posts in this thread they have liked. 

Anastasia13

Ex-mods are dead to me.

Even saints can intercede on our behalf.

St. Thomas Moore, St. Joseph, et. al., please intercede on behalf of Phatmass that we will have a good moderator to govern this board [even without an iron fist of glory if that is the Lord's will]. Amen.

AccountDeleted

dUSt, I would like to withdraw my offer to act as mod for VS. I have had some nasty emails about this personally, which in themselves don't bother me, but I do think if some people feel so strongly about NOT wanting me to be a mod here, then it would be potentially divisive for VS if the choice was me. What we want here on VS is peace, not disharmony, so in the interests of VS, I have no problem stepping back.

I heartily recommend Matermisericordae because she has been on phatmass since 2009, has spent most of her time here in VS, and has even set up two websites to help discerners, one for mature age and one to help potential postulants find items and clothing for entrance.

I have no objection to anyone else who has been nominated either and will fully support whomever you appoint. :)  PAX CHRISTI.

dUSt, I would like to withdraw my offer to act as mod for VS. I have had some nasty emails about this personally, which in themselves don't bother me, but I do think if some people feel so strongly about NOT wanting me to be a mod here, then it would be potentially divisive for VS if the choice was me.

:(

OnlySunshine

dUSt, I would like to withdraw my offer to act as mod for VS. I have had some nasty emails about this personally, which in themselves don't bother me, but I do think if some people feel so strongly about NOT wanting me to be a mod here, then it would be potentially divisive for VS if the choice was me. What we want here on VS is peace, not disharmony, so in the interests of VS, I have no problem stepping back.

I heartily recommend Matermisericordae because she has been on phatmass since 2009, has spent most of her time here in VS, and has even set up two websites to help discerners, one for mature age and one to help potential postulants find items and clothing for entrance.

I have no objection to anyone else who has been nominated either and will fully support whomever you appoint. :)  PAX CHRISTI.

I'm sorry to hear you've been getting ugly emails.  :(  But, thank you, nonetheless, for your support.

Catherine Therese

I am honestly SHOCKED. BEMUSED. And dreadfully disappointed.

H8 mail on VS? There's something missing in my synaptic pathways because my mind can't draw a line between the kind of person who is authentically interested in religious life and the kind of person who sends a nasty email and gets all personal, whether or not they agree with a decision or have a particularly strong affection for any given person. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, seriously. 

Not to mention the fact that to get so worked up about who is moderating an online community seems entirely devoid of any kind of eschatological perspective, or even a temporal grip on reality.

Nunsense, thank you for being so willing to put the time and energy into helping to maintain a charitable tone in VS. For bright-eyed discerners and for post-convent/seminary returners alike, this is so important as these periods in a person's life they can be very vulnerable and confused. Likewise, thank you for your detachment and willingness to withdraw your nomination if that were the best for the common good. 

I had no preference one way or another for any of the nominated mods, I think there are good things to be said about each one of them, and will happily receive whomever is put in that place. 

But down here on the "bottom rung" as it were of just regular VS posters, I invite my peers to consider the parallel that AnneLine illustrated. In many ways, the appointment of a moderator for this online community is the same as receiving a new superior in a religious community. Uncharitable mail or bad behaviour would not be tolerated in such a community, and quite frankly, we should all be striving for the kind of charity that means that these basic standards don't NEED to be enforced here either because its part of who we are as Christians - "They'll know you are Christians by your love." 

To quote Pope St Leo the Great: "Christians, remember your dignity!" - by extrapolation, for the sake of ALL that's good and holy, remember the dignity of the person on the other side of the network connection and treat them with the reverence they are due. 

I am not naive and the problem is not with my expectations of this community of which I am part. 

The problem is that we fail to meet those reasonable expectations, we fall - so let's all get up again together?

AccountDeleted

Let's let it die, shall we folks? At least I have never received a death threat, which CatherineM posted once that she did! Please don't let's make this thread about me. There will always be unhappy people in the world, that's the old 'haters gonna hate' quote that I didn't understand for the longest time. I used to think it was a negative quote, but really, it just means that we can't change the behavior of others, we can only try to set an example whenever possible, and to apologize when we go off the rails ourselves. Obviously some of the things that I have posted in the past have offended people, so I won't be casting stones at others when I am living in a glass house myself. Please let this thread be about who wants to be mod and other positive things. Ok?

Good. Back on track again..... :)   :clap:

While I did not feel strongly enough about it to email anyone, I did wonder if someone whom some people might experience as abrasive would be the best choice.  I agree with nunsense that a person who does not elicit such reactions is a better option.

AccountDeleted

While I did not feel strongly enough about it to email anyone, I did wonder if someone whom some people might experience as abrasive would be the best choice.  I agree with nunsense that a person who does not elicit such reactions is a better option.

norman-bates-smile-o.gif